StromTrooper banner

GPS/Phone mount, above the gauges?

12K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  HootStrom14 
#1 ·
Howdy!

I've been a 'member' here for ages, but pretty much just lurked. Never really felt like I belonged since I was just one of those guys who wanted a strom, but didnt get one... until now. Went for my first ride on it this morning. I realized pretty quickly that a handlebar mounted phone holder is not going to work if I wanted it to be my GPS. I thought about fashioning up something like the KLR Dash to mount in under the windshield, above the gauges, that gave me a place to mount my phone. This would put it out of the way of my line of site, but not so far that I'd have to move my head. I tried looking for an aftermarket option, but most of what I find is Ram-mount stuff. Was hoping for something that was less..... protruding maybe? I dunno.

Thoughts? suggestions?

#7 ·
What's wrong with RAM mount

That was top of Beartooth

Dash mount is too far away - I keep my RAM mount a bit loose so I can move the angle easily.

Nothing is wrong with it. In fact I'll probably end up using ram with the dash. Of note, they also have one that mounts to the same point as the dash, but has a ram ball tucked at the top of the gauges... that looks tempting.

Main thing is that I just dont want it sticking up off the handlebars...

#8 ·
What bike do you have?

I had it above the dash on my WEE, home made self, a little bouncy but totally useable

On the V2 I have the AdventureTech mount bolted to the screen bracket. Yes it is a little bouncy but again not a practical problem. When you are bouncing over rocks you don't need much GPS input typically, once things calm down its right there.

The good thing of an above instrument position it is the least distractive location so the least dangerous if you need to look at it or (nobody does this, right) manipulate the screen while riding.

#9 ·
I've been using this mount for a couple of years now. I prefer it for my GPS since it keeps up closer to my Line of Sight. I still mount my phone and HAM radio to my bars though. A lot less vibration than an actual over the dash shelf which I did run for about 2 months.

Over the Dash GPS Mounts - AdventureTech, LLC.

#10 ·
I recently bought a Ravetech mount but decided I want to keep the GPS on the handlebars so it has not been installed. It was $45.95 on eBay plus $16.99 shipping from Thailand. I'll sell it for $45 and ship from San Diego if you are interested. You pay shipping. Sorry, I am new here and can't post links. Just search for Ravetech GPS mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.