StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making plans to ride the MABDR in the spring of 2019. I bought the Butler Map, and I've created a .gpx route that'll work on a Garmin Nuvi 2455. The problem is that I'd prefer the use the route prepared by the guys at Ride BDR, which is a .gpx track. My Nuvi can't read a track. Can anyone here suggest either a GPS or an app that can actually read and follow a track? Preferably one where you can simply drag and drop a .gpx track between a computer and the device.

I want to be able to use the track so I both follow the original route from Ride BDR, and also so the GPS will keep me on the specific track for thr MABDR and won't try to recalculate the route if I go off course.

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for a smart phone as a GPS, so many awesome apps for that which will do exactly what you are asking.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been using one as a backup for a while now, running OsmAnd on a Droid Turbo. I'm not crazy at all about OsmAnd, thinking about trying Locus Pro. But I'm still looking for other alternatives, so I have some choices to consider.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've tried lots of apps and I like Galileo Pro. Here's a guy who used it on the MABDR.

http://www.city-gs.com/blog/2018/5/13/galileo-gps-app

Locus and Maps.me would work too, but not as well IMHO. Ifind Locus is overly complicated. Maps.me doesn't organize data as well, doesn't show the names of waypoints without touching them, and doesn't record the ride in a format you can export.

If you want to use your Nuvi, you can try this:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/using-a-garmin-nuvi-as-an-adv-gps.1186658/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a fan of rugged GPS units. I use a Garmin Rino 650. They arent cheap, but less to go wrong on them in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
+1 for Galileo Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts