StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bear with me, I am totally ignorant about nav systems and electronics in general. None of my riding friends have nav systems, or know anything about them. We live in the sticks, say dark ages, so to speak...

I will be purchasing a GPS sometime before the next riding season. I know things, especally electronics, change constantly. With this in mind, I want to have the capibility of programing routes, downloading routes that someone else has programed, knowing where I am, where I am going, when and where to turn, traffic alerts, POI, XM radio, wireless (WIRELESS IS A BIG ISSUE FOR ME) and waterproof. I may want to add bike to bike communication as well.

The Zumo 550 seems to fit the bill, I know that the XM antenna is a separate deal. I do not know what I will need to outfit my helmet with speakers, or if that is covered with a bike to bike system. Is there anything else needed to do what I want? Like I said...I am totally uninformed.

If I am listening to XM and a turn is comming up will the nav system over ride the music? So many questions...so little brain.

I am open to any and all help, ideas or suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Yes, the nav system will override the MP3 player in the Zumo.

Best place for you is zumoforums.com. Most of these questions are covered in consummate detail.

·
Administrator
13,560 Posts
As far as listening to the unit goes, I think there are two extremes and a million choices in between.

The simplist would be to get a set of earbuds or ear speakers. I don't use that setup but from what I read it would be important to get some noise blocking ones. I read good things about Shure or Entymotic (sp?) ear speakers. The other extreme is to get an "Autocom" or "Starcom" setup. This will allow much expanison in the future (for example bike to bike, passenger communications, etc.) I use an Autocom and am very happy with what it does.

I suspect that if you do anything much more than the earbuds you will eventually end up with an Autocom or Starcom.

..Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want Wireless then a bluetooth headset like the ChatterboxXBI or the Camos BTS-200 are what you are looking for. The only gotcha is that the Zumo bluetooth doesn't send out Stereo audio which both of those headset's support. If you want to have stereo music from the Zumo to the bluetooth headsets then you hook up a 3.5MM A2DP bluetooth adapter to the Zumo's line out (the WiRevo seems to the most popular one)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't own one, but was looking at the TomTom Rider II package (Approx $650.00)

Comes packaged for a bike mount and comms. It's waterproof.

I'd recommend looking for reviews, but it seems to be a new release.
The long you can wait, the cheaper it will become.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Language=4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts