StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a Tomtom Rider GPS and have an Android smart phone. In the past I've used Tyre to plan custom routes and upload them via USB cable from my desktop or a laptop to my Tomtom. However I've been looking for a way to create and edit routes while in the field using just my phone rather than lugging my ancient (and heavy!) Dell laptop along for the ride.

I can transfer .itn (Tomtom itinerary) files from the phone to the Tomtom via Bluetooth. The problem has been finding an app that will allow the creation/editing of custom routes, and permit them to be exported (ideally as .itn files) onto my phone for transfer to the Tomtom.

Google has nerfed their MyMaps software so badly now that it is almost useless, and it has no facility for exporting .itn files (although 12 years ago you were able to send routes from Google Maps to a TomTom - Google progress!) I was waiting for the Tyre app (MyRoutes) to be released, but looking at the feature chart I'm not sure it will actually do what I want.

The best solution I've found so far is using the Tourstart app. The app itself lets you edit/plot custom routes. It doesn't seem to allow export, BUT once the route is saved you can then go to their webpage (the mobile version) and there you CAN export an .itn file! You can also import .itn files into your account for editing.

Tourstart is not perfect. It's not based on Google Maps but rather on downloaded maps. While their website is easy to use for route planning, the waypoints on the app are very finicky (I think the developer must use a stylus or have tiny fingers).

Has anyone come up with a more elegant solution?

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Furkot and Motomapper might be a solution for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used motogoloco.com to plan my recent 2,000 mile trip. It worked very well, easily uploaded to my Zumo 590.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. It looks like Motomaper uses Furkot to do its route planning, and only has an IPhone app.

Looking at Furkot, I do like their planner, but it's only available on the full sized website (not mobile, and no app is available) and it strangely doesn't offer the option to save routes as .itn files (although I suppose you could convert .gpx files using a converter. My Tomtom is the Rider 2nd edition, which doesn't handle .gpx files, unfortunately. Has to be .itn.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re MotoGoLoco:

Their full web version planner is great, and does offer .itn export, but they don't have an app or a mobile version (yet), so it doesn't permit creation or editing of routes using the phone while on the road.

The good thing about Motogoloco and Tourstart is that, (unlike Tyre) they are web-based and will work with Apples as well as Windows desktops/laptops. Gives you more flexibility to borrow a computer when you get off the road.

I'm still hoping there's a better option though. Maybe if MotoGoLoco finishes their app. (assuming it's for Android)...

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Now Furkot has an interesting feature I missed before...those small motorcycle icons on the map are clickable as is the list to the right.

If you click on the group of the Icons I've out lined in red at the bottom right ....it accesses several Motorcycle ride routes and displays them in a list for whatever area you are viewing.

Those rides listed are clickable to go to the ride site which has description and pictures.

This is independent of any routing you are doing...it draws on several sites and shows you the routes on the map and a clickable description for those routes which already exist.

Furkot has export to TomTom -

I find the site hard to navigate tho. I still have not figured how to convert the map I create to points.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I use plotaroute.com on my Samsung Galaxy S6 but it creates a GPX or several other formats and you must convert to the Itn. Their web mobile site works well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts