StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all my farkling is about to start! Question for you all. I'd like to mount a garmin quest to my bike and would like it within line of sight, but easily adjusted, i was thinking of maybe a RAM mount to the handlebars between the risers or possibly a dash mount. Anyone else have suggestions/experiences for what/ does not work. I'd rather not buy the mega-expensive metal brackets from aerostich. . .

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I used the Garmin bike mount for my ETrex Legend C and put it over by my left hand. There's a space right beside the mirror mount that works fine. Have to move my head to read it but it's within easy reach of my hand.

K

·
0 Posts
I used the powered motorcycle kit for the quest, a 1.75" arm, a handlebar clamp with a stainless u-bolt and that standard round base to mount mine on the right side of the bars where it angles up. It fit perfectly above my tank bag, but just below the gauges.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I mounted mine between the risers centered on the instrument cluster. It is a Garmin eMap, and is easily read in this location and the controls are easy to get too. Out of all the locations I looked at mounting it this one worked best for me. Take your Quest out and try it in different locations on your bike and settle on what works best for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought a Quest and I'm about to get into this. I looked it over and decided I'm going to try to mount it to the plastic windshield bracket. I need to fab up a plate to attach the quest motorcycle mount to. The plate should attach nicely to the windshield bracket. I have to get my hands on a piece of aluminum or stainless.

I plan to post pics of the install.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd rather not buy the mega-expensive metal brackets from aerostich. . .
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/RAM-GPS-Mount-p-16674.html

You're looking in the wrong place in the Aerostich catalog..
RAM and Garmin's motorcycle mount/cable is wonderful..
You get a solid mount that you can put anywhere, and a headphone cord so that you can listen to the routing, if you wish..
I bought my RAM mount from Aerostich for $40 and the MC kit for $50 on Ebay..
A little pricey, but worth it once mounted..
Much cheaper if you didn't want the headphone jack that comes with the Garmin kit..

I have mine mounted on the bar, so it's above my tank bag, but below the gauges...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a Garmin Quest on a RAM mount. The ball is on the left handlebar, inboard the mirror mount. The arm is angled so that the GPS is towards me, below and inside the mirror, and in front of the mirror arm from my POV. I find that spot gives me an unobstructed view of the mirrors and instruments, and I can see it over the tankbag.

I also have a Powerlet outlet on the left cowl to plug it into. For day trips, the outlet isn't necessary. The Quest's battery life is good enough to last all day.

W

·
0 Posts
I used Garmin's motorcycle mount, it has the regulator for the Quest's power and the amplifier for the audio and has a manual lock to keep it from bouncing out. I attached it to a Ray Fagan shelf with a short piece of 2-inch aluminum L-stock from the hardware store. The resulting view angle is just about perfect and the whole thing is very solid.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i used the garmin sw-motech mount from twisted throttle for my 2610, the garmin electronic cable (from getfeetwet.com) attached to the switched outlet in the harness behind the radiator (on the left side.) i bought the pigtail from suzuki for about $8. got the garmin holder from gpscity.com. this arrangement puts the gps center, above the speedo and tach.

i also added a cb speaker in the center of the handlebars, as i don't much like earbuds or helmet speakers.

whole thing works great. not sure about the specific mounts for your gps.

post a picture when you're done . . .

regards,

mike

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh i got anxious befre checking the forum replies ;) I bought the 40 dollar aerostich ram mount, will update you al on tuesday!
alex

·
Registered
14 Posts
mikevstrom said:
i used the garmin sw-motech mount from ******* for my 2610, the garmin electronic cable (from getfeetwet.com) attached to the switched outlet in the harness behind the radiator (on the left side.) i bought the pigtail from suzuki for about $8. got the garmin holder from gpscity.com. this arrangement puts the gps center, above the speedo and tach.

i also added a cb speaker in the center of the handlebars, as i don't much like earbuds or helmet speakers.

whole thing works great. not sure about the specific mounts for your gps.

post a picture when you're done . . .

regards,

mike
Mike-
DO you know where else they make the mount that you are using? I am trying find one but twisted throttle is out and they dont know when they are getting anymore. THanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
TT, try GPSCITY for the part that attaches to the GPS. The part that attaches to the windshield mounting points is the one that's hard to get. It's made by SWMotech in Germany: SW-MOTECH accessory holder for R-A-M GPS mounts & TomTom Rider GPS (Suzuki DL1000 & DL650 V-Strom, '04-).

Asterisk.com was very helpful in referring me to GPSCity when they were unable to ship the $10 part. I don't know who else imports the $50 part. I'll keep looking.

Regards

·
Registered
292 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Hey all my farkling is about to start! Question for you all. I'd like to mount a garmin quest to my bike and would like it within line of sight, but easily adjusted, i was thinking of maybe a RAM mount to the handlebars between the risers or possibly a dash mount. Anyone else have suggestions/experiences for what/ does not work. I'd rather not buy the mega-expensive metal brackets from aerostich. . .
I have my Quest mounted between the bars on a RAM mount -- couldn't be happier. The pic doesn't do it justice, and it actually doesn't obstruct any of the speedo:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Different approach here, folks. I decided that I would try mounting mine atop the cluster. Turns out it is still in my line of sight to the road; I don't like the idea of diverting my eyes to the handlebar level.

I dug up an old "clamshell" mount, from my days as a car audio/cell phone installer. These were used to mount handset "cradles" for the old full-size cell phones:

Mounted it atop the cluster with some short screws (I'm gonna remove it, cut the machine screws shorter, repaint the mount (because it's old and a little rusty) and paint the screws and nuts) Also nice is that fact the the mounting angle is easily adjustable:

The wiring was easily concealed inside the fairing.

The installed unit (along with newly installed Motech risers):

It's really easy to see and I don't really have to take my eyes off of the road. I have a much better awareness of what's happening ahead of me than I would if I had to look to the bar level. I can reach forward and hit some buttons while in motion, but I don't feel this is a good idea on a bike, anyway, so I don't feel that I'm loosing accessability by having it further away.

I'm going to leave it up there for a few months and see how it feels. I like that I was able to use the Garmin cycle mount, as it has a nice locking mechanism. I think I might re-drill the mounth and lower the unit a bit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's my GPS solution. I'm using the Ram-mount system on my Wee. I simply used the drop-down menu at their site, ordered the parts and found the best place on my bars.

My eXplorist 300 is pretty budget minded, but reads elevation, temperature and has basic GPS functions. Not bad for $170 total investment.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts