StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Little tip! Do not mount anything that close to a Givi Aiflow screen..
It interferes with the upwards air flow, behind the screen, resulting in the worst buffetting and lack of wind protection, ever..........

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love my Adventure Tech mount....it does shake a little, but, not bad.

Mounts easily and is well made.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have one of Rich's mounts. It shakes too much unless I'm on a perfectly smooth road. I have a Garmin 660 mounted with the shortest RAM arm available so it's not like I'm running anything outlandish. I've tried it with the ball mounted forward and back and the arm straight up and down without success. I may have to find someone to weld a stiffener across the top to make it work. I can see the crossbar flexing and this is where the bouncing is coming from.

Rich makes many fine products but this one is not doing it for me. He has graciously offered a full refund.

Rich, If you could fabricate these with a bend along the top, it would probably eliminate the bouncing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Ravetech mount while aesthetically beautifully finished is worthless as a mount because it's made with too thin of metal, which makes the GPS bounce way too much, like in a paint shaker too much. I was cleaning out the garage the other day and threw the one I paid for in the garbage can. Rich's mount is much better as it's made with thicker metal. But the real root of the problem is attaching anything that weighs much more than nothing to the mount that holds the windshield. The windshield's metal mount itself isn't all that stiff so if you mount anything to it, it amplifies the movement as you ride down the road. I like having my GPS up high so I can see the road ahead while looking at the GPS, so I'll keep using Rich's mount. But if someone needs their GPS to have less bounce, then mount it to the bike's handlebars.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I made a minimalist mount on the left side corner of the dash, it also holds my TPMS. Rock solid, no buffeting. I'll post a photo

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
it's made out of two pieces of reshaped and twisted angle iron. Took quite a bit of time with a torch and die grinder to get it to fit the way I wanted and clear a few things as I recall. It's mounted to the two fairing holes, which are rigid. I normally have my phone here, which works better as a GPS and takes up less space.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the AdventureTech over-dash mount on my '17 w/ Givi Airflow screen and I'm pleased with it. Wasn't happy at first due to how much the GPS shaked, but once I adjusted the RAM arm more vertical to put the weight of the device over the mount instead of stretched out towards my head, it improved drastically. I also double bolted the mount to the windshield bracket with extra bolts and nuts -- fastened in 4 places. I think that helped too.

Also, there is no wind or adjustment interference with the Givi shield.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the mount AND have a Givi Airflow; no issues with buffeting nor vibrations. '18 DL650 XTA, but I use RAM Mounts Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Holder with Diamond Base Adapter - RAM-HOL-PD3-238A, not the X Grip one.

That mount and windshield are my favorite mods!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the mount AND have a Givi Airflow; no issues with buffeting nor vibrations. '18 DL650 XTA, but I use RAM Mounts Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Holder with Diamond Base Adapter - RAM-HOL-PD3-238A, not the X Grip one.

That mount and windshield are my favorite mods!
Which mount are you using, Adventuretech?
I have the Kappa version of the Airflow and am considering getting Rick's Mount
Any chance of some photos?
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the AdventureTech over-dash mount on my '17 w/ Givi Airflow screen and I'm pleased with it. Wasn't happy at first due to how much the GPS shaked, but once I adjusted the RAM arm more vertical to put the weight of the device over the mount instead of stretched out towards my head, it improved drastically. I also double bolted the mount to the windshield bracket with extra bolts and nuts -- fastened in 4 places. I think that helped too.

Also, there is no wind or adjustment interference with the Givi shield.
Any chance of some photos, thanks

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Here you go :) Yes, AdeventureTech Over the Dash mount

View attachment 279816
That's actually not a bad idea. I mount my phone on the handlebar with a RAM, and my GPS with the ADV Tech dash mount.. My phone is far more capable of finding hotels, locations, stuff, etc than my Garmin.

Reactions: BlackRockFox

·
Vendor
5,420 Posts
Now that winter is here and things have slowed down I might try again to make an over the dash shelf for the 2017+ DL650. The bend significantly stiffens the mount. And it adds more space for more ram balls. I also made a special GPS with a stiffener for motocanada, but it turned out he had a 2012 to 2016 DL650 so it has not been used. Shame because it would have been good to know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts