StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Quest that I intend to use on my DL. I'm riding it home from a dealer that's about 3hrs north of me, and I want to plan a good route though lots of hilly roads to assist with breaking in the motor. So, I'm thinking about bringing my GPS and a mount to the dealer and installing it in the parking lot before I head home.

I'm looking at the various mounting options, and it's looking like I want to mount it on top of the gauge cluster, rather than down on the handlebars. The idea being that I'm keeping my head up and eyes pointed forward, rather than pointing my head down to look at the GPS and taking my eyes off the road completely.

But, I've never mounted a GPS on a bike before. Up till now, I've just been keeping it in my pocket and consulting it when stopped. And, I've never ridden a V-Strom before. Which mounting method is less distracting? Up high, or down low? Does mounting it up high interfere with forward visability at all?

Rob

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I much prefer the high mount. It allows me to keep my eyes on the road better and does not get in the way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I prefer the high mount, too.

But for parking lot installation, I think handlebar mount is easier. Get a RAM cradle, arm, and handlebar U-bolt. Installation will only be a few minutes.

I know of no simple way to mount the GPS higher up. My homemade bracket required about four hours of installation.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I really considered making my own mount but in the end i just bought one. I use SW Motech gps mount from Twisted Throttle. Mounts my 2610 above gauge cluster. Pricey little devil but it works well and it's only a glance down to see what you need. This isn't difficult to install but probably not the kind of thing you want to do in a parking lot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
The rider looks over the windscreen, even with my tall touring windshield, much less the GPS.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I found this:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2596/618/

Looks like it uses the windshield bolts to mount. Fortunately, it works with my old-school Garmin Quest, too.
If you don't mind paying $80, that should work. Installing that under the windshield bolts is fairly simple. The windshield is four bolts and the bracket is four bolts.

Just make sure you have all the hardware before you leave. The dealer won't have any of that stuff on hand.

Jamie

·
Registered
4 Posts
GPS mount

Got a ZUMO 550.
I just took 1 half of the loop handle bar mount, inserted a long screw through it and an empty hole in the windshield mount.
With the nut ,bolt and a few tie wraps for the electrical wires, I spent 1$ for parts and 30 minutes to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I perfer up high in line of site, mostly because I can just shift my eyes. I will reduce fatique and you'll feel safer. Also keep in mind you may also want a madstat later if you do not already have one.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Got a ZUMO 550.
I just took 1 half of the loop handle bar mount, inserted a long screw through it and an empty hole in the windshield mount.
With the nut ,bolt and a few tie wraps for the electrical wires, I spent 1$ for parts and 30 minutes to install.
I did the same. When I got a Madstad, I cut a section of lacrosse stick shaft and mounted it across for the standard RAM mount. Righteous.

·
Banned
1,584 Posts
Front Picture ?

Got a ZUMO 550.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the view from the front, would you ?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Another perspective - I put mine on the RAM handlebar mount, in the line-of-sight of the speedo. Since the ZUMO displays a speed (which is more accurate than the 'Strom's, I don't really need to see the speedo. And I'm already used to looking there...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts