StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which way should I go? The Pat Walsh shelf or RAM mount on the handlebars? From what I can see, the shelf would give a better "heads up" display and would keep the GPS pointed in the direction of the bike, not the handlebars. The RAM might get the unit closer to the eyes. Comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have the Walsh shelf and although I have not parked a GPS on it I would rather a RAM mount on the bars. I rigged a camera mount to the shelf and under hard acceleration I get enough vibration through the shelf to make the picture unusable. The shelf is just not beefy enough for a small camera. I run ATV bars with a crossbar and I think a RAM mount on the cross would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have just installed the Pat Walsh shelf and mounted my GPS on it. Haven't got to ride it yet but I can't imagine that I'll get enough vibration to cause any troubles. Of course I'm using a Garmin Etrex Legend and don't intend to interact with my GPS that much. If you're going for the all-out navigation system where you're going to be touching the screen and such I would mount it to the bars with a RAM mount only because the shelf is a little far away and you may have less control reaching up there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I mounted my Zumo on a Pat Walsh Shelf using a round RAM mount base and the arm the GPS came with. It allows for just the right amount of adjustment and places it within easy reach and directly in my field of view. Unfortunately, the shelf vibrates like crazy on anything less than a smooth road. The Zumo seems a bit heavier than most, so other GPS units may not move around as much as mine.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Got the ram mount on my pat walsh shelf.
I dont notice any more vibration than I was getting through the handle bar mount.
The shelf puts it in my line of sight better, so I do not have to look away from the road.
Much better on the shelf in my opinion
Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've had it with the bouncing so I just made a rigid mount. It uses a 1/2" x 1" aluminum bar drilled and tapped at the ends for the bike mount and a plate for the Zumo mount instead of the Ram connection pictured below for measurements. New picture's will follow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like the ram but I use my 60CSx on 2 bikes and a few different cars.
I use the u-bolt on the bikes and suction for windshield for the cars.

I think it depends on what unit you have.
The shelf sure looks nice with the Zumo.

Fred

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I made a shelf yesterday and will give it a try. If it does not work for the GPS, I'll keep the shelf for other things. Used a piece of 18 gauge metal from True Value for $7 and attached at 4 points.

·
38,048 Posts
Here's the aluminum rigid mount. The bottom is a 1-1/2" x 1/8" thick angle. The arm is 1"x1/2" and the zumo mounting plate is 2"x 1/8" thick. Connections are by two screws tapped into the arm at each end. The top screws are 1/4-20 brass oval head with the heads filed down and the bottom is a 1/4-20 and a 4mm. I just used what I had lying around. Some JB weld will keep anything from coming loose. I tried it out by going to lunch in Wisconsin today. It's way easier to read than the Ram mount. I don't have a warm place to spray paint so I'll clean it up and paint it in the spring. I may cross drill a couple of 1/2" holes in the arm for looks. It wouldn't lower the weight much.

·
38,048 Posts
It's angle aluminum. It is bolted to the subframe using the bolts that hold the tops of the windshield brackets. I don't ride off road.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Not sure what GPS you have but another way to mount that nobody mentioned is a Powerlet Powerbar Plus. This is a handlebar socket with a threaded hole for a Ram ball. Give you a really neat setup with a short power cord that plugs in right there on the Powerbar Plus.

Pricey but worth it in my opinion. I'm mounting one to my new Strom for my Legend C.

Sure I could use the Ram Ubolt bar mount but then I'd have to plug in the adaptor somewhere else and the cord would then move and stretch to the fairing socket.

·
38,048 Posts
It also just occurred to me that a solid mount would make it more difficult to steal the Zumo. The Ram clamp was a bit of a weak link in that regard. It would probably take a minute or two instead of 5 seconds.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
It also just occurred to me that a solid mount would make it more difficult to steal the Zumo. The Ram clamp was a bit of a weak link in that regard. It would probably take a minute or two instead of 5 seconds.
I believe Ram makes a lockable mount

the one off mount that I had custom made would take quite a bit, the windscreen has to come off before you can access the 6 long threaded mounting bolts of which 2 you have to remove the unit from the mount to keep the nuts on the back from spinning so it would take some time + have to defeat the security screw on the zumo first. It appears to be a factory mounting and I leave it on the bike at all times with confidence

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm using the SW-Motech mount and have had both the 2610 and Zumo mounted to it. Not at the same time. It's up to $80 these days. I paid $50 in 2006. Works well, but doubtful with a madstad.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm using the SW-Motech mount and have had both the 2610 and Zumo mounted to it. Not at the same time. It's up to $80 these days. I paid $50 in 2006. Works well, but doubtful with a madstad.

I dont see why not.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ogre FL, You are doing a cool thing there! It is simple and effective. I just cannot get into mounting my GPS that makes it look like either a desk lamp, or on a shelf that looks like a huge pizza slice!
I am going to purchase the simple ram ball, use my existing cradle and power cord (for which I have installed a flush mounted power outlet on the upper side of fairing) and fashion an extension as you have that is simple, puts the unit in plain view and is easy to install and remove.
I think the ball will be about $15 and the 1/8 or 1/4 " aluminum will be about $10.
done.

·
38,048 Posts
I believe Ram makes a lockable mount
They do. One more key in my pocket and I won't be able to keep my pants up though. It still comes with the built in vibrator too. I'm very happy to have gotten rid of the bouncing screen.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts