StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am acquiring a ZUMO 660 for the Strom and I am having a heck of a time deciding what mount to go with...

I am looking at the SW Motech one with the vibration dampening/plus the touratech cable extension to avoid having to butcher the stock unit which I saw in another thread here...

The Touratech Zumo mount is nice with the locking mechanism but the handlebar extension I would have to buy just to fit the thing is making me reconsider as the unit itself is already very expensive compared to the SW..I would prefer to put it up on the windscreen area... and doubt the touratech can be mounted in that fashion... sorry I am not a big fan of the ram ball...

Add to that I think I can likely just take the GPS off the mount and take it in with me on my rides for peace of mind... as I somehow doubt a GPS mount is as tempting without the GPS unit itself...

I have been trying to find a video of the vibration I would see with the SW but I am coming up empty...was hoping someone with a SW mount could show me .... Honestly all I want is a mount that will hold the GPS in place even if I hit a major ruff patch and not hurl my GPS to a gravity induced death...

Hoping to hear owners thoughts of the SW and Touratech mounts.... Fire away...

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I've never heard of anybody complaining about their GPS vibrating to death or being unreadable on a non Touratech mount. Sometimes I think Touratech solve problems that don't actually exist and expect their buyers to pay through the nose for the privilege.

Mr Farkles used to have a Touratech mount for a TomTom Rider on his dash above the instruments back in the days when TomTom mounts we guaranteed to fail and had no problems attaching or removing the GPS.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far price wise I have found GPScity.com winning the price war @ $577.94 shipped... does anyone else have any stores with a better price? ... I would check Zumo forums but the admin still has yet to approve my joining there

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I was unhappy with RAM ball mounts allowing the GPS to bounce and make it hard to read on rough roads so I make a rigid mount. After four years and 62,000 miles, most of which with the GPS mounted, it's still going strong. A rubber mount is not necessary.

·
38,048 Posts
GW...got a pic of the mount? I'm using Richland Rick's mount and while I like it, a little less vibration is always welcomed. Thanks in advance.
I've done two rigid mounts.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/45329-stiffening-pat-walsh-shelf.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/18960-gps-mount-shelf-ram.html
The first is a bolted together combo of angle, bar and flat aluminum stock.

The second is a stiffened Pat Walsh shelf.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really envy you guys with work shops to just fiddle around building these things from scratch... When I get out of this condo into a house I will have a shop in mind where I can do such projects cannot wait as the fiancée knows I want such a shop... and she wants a garden... best to say we will each have our own place =)

So does anyone have good spots to pickup a Zumo 660? ... Price to beat is $577 shipped via GPScity they beat ebay by $20...

...Already ordered my other farkles.. seems I am just fighting to see what I can save on a GPS now...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I still like the ram mount, even though it vibtaes a little I prefer it over a fixed mount because I have more than one bike. with the ram I can easilly move the gps from bike to bike. Kieth JMO:thumbup:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just FYI about mounting the Touratech, if you would go that route. I have mine attached using a small crossbar they sell. I think it's called the GEEAD system. I don't know if this is exactly what you were referring to but mine works great. Has an extension in case you wanted to mount something else as well. It's on the website for $35.

I'm not very good at "fabricating" stuff either. Lot's of tools but not much for the "delicate" stuff...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was unhappy with RAM ball mounts allowing the GPS to bounce and make it hard to read on rough roads so I make a rigid mount. After four years and 62,000 miles, most of which with the GPS mounted, it's still going strong. A rubber mount is not necessary.
I did not have a readability problems with RAM mounts on my SV1000, DR650 or current DL1000 using GPSmap 276C and GPSmap 60Cx.
I am shortsighted and wear multifocal glasses.

If you are really aggressive offroad ie lots of corrogations or jumps, then the RAM holders are probably going to cause a bit of wear on the GPS case and I would look at a Touratech cradle (only in this case). I would still use a RAM arm and base with a Touratech cradle tho. I don't think it is possible to get this extreme on a DL without destroying the bike.

My GPSmap 60Cx cradle, mounting ball, 1.75 and 3 inch arms are 4.5 years old and still working fine. I have been thru a few different ball bases on different bikes and cars but none have failed. I do not recommend the plastic RAM components for bike use (except cradles)

I am currently using Richland Ricks above instrument mounting plate/base. I have a mini screen and am only using 2 mounting holes.
No issues on my January 6,000 km onroad tour. No movement at 180kph (closed circuit of course :) )

Why not a fixed mount ?
Late afternoon the low angle sun is making the screen unreadable.
Stop, loosen, adjust screen angle, tighten. 30 seconds and you are done.

A little background;
I sold GPS and RAM mounts for 4 years and continue to recommend them. I never considered them particuarly good at vibration damping. I recommended that customers tightened the arms firmly to maintain position.

PS
Do NOT over tighten the handlebar bases. Also, allow them to grip the metal, do not put tape over the bar first.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow, you guys have some incredible setups ... but if you would indulge my noobie question, what exactly is wrong with the factory mount and power hookup that comes with the Zumo? I really want GPS but I don't think I'm up to the level of customization you guys are doing ... unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

pmk

·
38,048 Posts
I have two minor niggles with the standard Zumo handlebar mount. One is I prefer the screen to be closer to my sight line when riding. The other is I want a more solid mount to make the screen more readable. Actually, the stock mount is pretty solid with the clamp being pretty vertical. Moving the unit where I prefer it makes the Ram mount bouncier as the clamp has more of a horizontal component.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I LOVE my RKA GPS Tank Bag....

I use this set-up:

Communications Photo Gallery John Phelps Page

It works like a champ. The GPS is close enough to allow you to punch the screen without having to reach for it. It does NOT block your gauges. It absorbs vibration. And when you stop, you just unhook the tank bag and take your GPS, XM radio, all of it with you inside.

Epic!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I bought a different RAM base and some 1/4-20 carriage bolts. Then I used a piece of 1" rectangular aluminum tubing across the mounting bolts for the Madstad bracket. Think the tubing was $4 and I still have the rest of it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have Richland Ricks GPS mount. It works great and is easy to install.

Here's a thread:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/44550-zumo-660-w-richland-ricks-gps-mount.html

Hope this helps
+1 on the Richland Rick GPS Mount. Works very well and my Garmin is always as clear as a bell when riding on the highway. Offroad I am much too busy to be looking at it and stop when I need to view it so that is not an issue either. Actually it might be clear in that environment too, I just haven't used it on the dirt.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I bought a different RAM base and some 1/4-20 carriage bolts. Then I used a piece of 1" rectangular aluminum tubing across the mounting bolts for the Madstad bracket. Think the tubing was $4 and I still have the rest of it.

I did something similar with an angled piece of aluminum. I am not sure I will be satisfied with the vibration.
Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts