StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a gps in the near future (new or used). The Zumo seems to be the best option for an all in one setup but they are also the most expensive. Are there any other models that come close to the Zumo on features but are less expensive? Here are some of the features I would like to have:
  • Waterproof
  • Motorcyle friendly
  • XM radio
  • Good maps
  • Audible alerts (voice or beeps)
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
The Garmins are the most popular and most people will tell you that they're consistantly the best. I bought a Garmin 2820 streetpilot for $423.00

Start by googling the models you're interested in. Only a handful of units will meet your specifications.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm seriously cheap, etrex Legend H. Waterproof, tough, and $100 at Best buy. I guess for $300 I'll suffer not having XM, beeps or strange voices on the bike. LOL

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Nuvi 550 or 500 mulituse. Water proof all the features you want except does not play mp3 or radio

Check it out. The price is great for the features.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Nuvi 550 or 500 mulituse. Water proof all the features you want except does not play mp3 or radio

Been staring at these 2, what's the diff?
Any earphone jack for audio? Must says internal speaker.

never mind, looks like one has topo maps for hiking/backpacking and the other has streets. neither has earphone jack. what good is a talking GPS for a cycle (says it's motorcycle friendly) if you can't hear it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been using a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 for years and it suits me. They are discintinued but you can find the used or reconditioned on ebay for less than $200.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally Posted by vstrompaul View Post

Been staring at these 2, what's the diff?
Any earphone jack for audio? Must says internal speaker.
Nuvi 500 US has topo maps, but no Canada and Alaska

Nuvi 550 US with Alaksa and Canada (but no topo unless you add it separately... I think that's another $70).

Both are waterproof. Both have a cradle and direct wire kit for about $30.

I am dumping my Streetpilot 2720 to go to the NUVI 550. I don't care about music players, audio-out, or bluetooth so the Nuvi 550 perfect for my needs --and cheap at $249 online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts