StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I like the 60Csx, but I certainly dont want to spend the $$$ on it. My wife had a Nextar GPS unit laying around, and I decided to make it work on my bike. I needed a female 12V Cigarette Lighter style socket which I bought from Fry's for $5.99. I spliced into an ignition switch-operated 12v source(I used power supply for rear brake switch) and used the negative battery terminal for ground. Power source, done!
Then, I had to route the GPS's power supply cord from the 12V socket I installed to the handlebars, where the GPS is will sit. I routed the coiled wire under the tank, next to left hand frame rail, and up next to the radiator. Wire routing, done!
Then, I found a way to mount the GPS. I dont have any fancy ball mounts or RAM mounts on hand, so I kept the suction cup style mount and simply zip-tied the unit to the clutch master cylinder cover. It is very secure, and it vibrates just about as much as the mirrors do, which is minimal.

So, for pretty damn cheap, I have a GPS unit mounted to my V-Strom.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
LOL
I did the same type of thing for a while. I have a c330 with a suction cup mount. I zip tied it to the handlebars for a while. I have a handlebar clamp that has a tapped hole in it. I drilled a hole in the suction cup area ( didn't use that anyway) and bolted it to the top of the bars. I wimped out an bought a ram just the other day. I also bought a interchangeable attachment mount to put my camera on for the times I wanted it ready. I never thought about the reservoir mount. I like that.
Mike :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, I like the 60Csx, but I certainly dont want to spend the $$$ on it. My wife had a Nextar GPS unit laying around, and I decided to make it work on my bike. I needed a female 12V Cigarette Lighter style socket which I bought from Fry's for $5.99. I spliced into an ignition switch-operated 12v source(I used power supply for rear brake switch) and used the negative battery terminal for ground. Power source, done!
Then, I had to route the GPS's power supply cord from the 12V socket I installed to the handlebars, where the GPS is will sit. I routed the coiled wire under the tank, next to left hand frame rail, and up next to the radiator. Wire routing, done!
Then, I found a way to mount the GPS. I dont have any fancy ball mounts or RAM mounts on hand, so I kept the suction cup style mount and simply zip-tied the unit to the clutch master cylinder cover. It is very secure, and it vibrates just about as much as the mirrors do, which is minimal.

So, for pretty damn cheap, I have a GPS unit mounted to my V-Strom.
Aren't you worried that the unit isn't weatherproof? Then again, you're in Sunny California, right? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
We couldn't get away with a rig like that up here, I'd say....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts