StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I installed a Garmin 396 with an Adventure Tech mount. Details here. I liked the location, but just was never happy with the vibration.
I decided to move the GPS to a more steady location. Ram sells a Small Rail Base mount that fits the crossbar. Price was $25 at Amazon.

I did a temporary installation yesterday and took it out on some rough roads. Everything stayed in place nicely, and the shaking was gone. Today was rainy, so I finished the project. The only time-consuming part was rerouting the power supply wiring to minimize flexing. I came from under the tank and along the clutch cable. That worked very well.

Hopefully the weather will allow a more thorough evaluation. I'll report any problems.

Picture frame Tripod Camera Video camera Camera lens

Table Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Picture frame

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A few months ago, I installed a Garmin 396 with an Adventure Tech mount. Details here. I liked the location, but just was never happy with the vibration.
I decided to move the GPS to a more steady location. Ram sells a Small Rail Base mount that fits the crossbar. Price was $25 at Amazon.

I did a temporary installation yesterday and took it out on some rough roads. Everything stayed in place nicely, and the shaking was gone. Today was rainy, so I finished the project. The only time-consuming part was rerouting the power supply wiring to minimize flexing. I came from under the tank and along the clutch cable. That worked very well.

Hopefully the weather will allow a more thorough evaluation. I'll report any problems.

View attachment 294895

View attachment 294896
Very nice! I tried mounting mine (Zumo XT) on the handlebar, but it interfered with my 20L tank bag at full left lock. I've been happy with the Adventure Tech over-the dash-mount.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it out for a 29-mile ride yesterday on some rough gravel roads. The Garmin was always steady, readable, and the mount never moved. The simplest and least expensive mounting turned out to be the best.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are using the adventure Tech mount, the best way I've found to get rid of the majority of the movement as you drive along is to use the windshield itself as a brace. What I mean by this is to position the small RAM arm so it pushes up against the windshield. I use a couple of pieces of adhesive backed Velcro stuck on the windshield to protect the windshield from getting banged up by the RAM arm. This has worked very well in the last 20 months. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to my V-Strom right now to take a picture.

Mounting the GPS this way has 2 advantages. 1, it puts the GPS in a very easy to read position as I'm riding down the road. 2, there is no hi frequency vibration working on the GPS like there usually is when mounting it to the handlebars.

Right now I am having to redesign the vibration reducing SW Motech mount on my F800GT because even though it uses rubber isolation grommets in it's design, my Garmin Zumo XT vibrates way more than I'm comfortable with considering the $500 cost of the GPS unit.

Reactions: JoshDriving

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
If you are using the adventure Tech mount, the best way I've found to get rid of the majority of the movement as you drive along is to use the windshield itself as a brace. What I mean by this is to position the small RAM arm so it pushes up against the windshield. I use a couple of pieces of adhesive backed Velcro stuck on the windshield to protect the windshield from getting banged up by the RAM arm. This has worked very well in the last 20 months. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to my V-Strom right now to take a picture.

Mounting the GPS this way has 2 advantages. 1, it puts the GPS in a very easy to read position as I'm riding down the road. 2, there is no hi frequency vibration working on the GPS like there usually is when mounting it to the handlebars.

Right now I am having to redesign the vibration reducing SW Motech mount on my F800GT because even though it uses rubber isolation grommets in it's design, my Garmin Zumo XT vibrates way more than I'm comfortable with considering the $500 cost of the GPS unit.
Thanks for that tip, will try it for my phone RAM cradle once my AdventureTech mount arrives.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I took it out for a 29-mile ride yesterday on some rough gravel roads. The Garmin was always steady, readable, and the mount never moved. The simplest and least expensive mounting turned out to be the best.
ARE you still pleased with the mount set up. Do you ever download trax from BDR to the garmin? I am looking for a good gps for that purpose. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
This is the second season I've had my Garmin Zumo XT mount on my bike. I've had no issues with the device or the AdventureTech mount.
The Zumo XT is fully capable of downloading or uploading .gpx files, as well other formats. I'm not familiar with BDR's tracks, but if you can share/upload .gpx or other compatible format files from there, then there should be no problems. I have an Adroid File Transfer app installed on my Mac, which allows me to transfer .gpx files to the device from Google Maps via Maps to GPX Converter to my desktop, then to either my inRoute app or directly into the Zumo. They show up in the Zumo's Tracks app. and you have the option to convert it to a saved trip. Simple, quick and accurate with a little practice.

You can download a .pdf Zumo XT Owner's manual here for detailed instructions for file transfers.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Reactions: TexAg81

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Was just going to post a similar thread, as my Zumo XT is also vibrating a lot. In my case the majority of the play is in the ram mount. Mine is mounted off a bracket I made that attaches to the left fairing bracket.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Are you getting the vibration on paved roads and highways or gravel/dirt roads?
I'm using this inexpensive Amazon accessory rail on my windshield bracket. It held the weather resistant case for my old car GPS and is doing fine with my Zumo 396.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Tire

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Are you getting the vibration on paved roads and highways or gravel/dirt roads?
I'm using this inexpensive Amazon accessory rail on my windshield bracket. It held the weather resistant case for my old car GPS and is doing fine with my Zumo 396.

View attachment 303581

View attachment 303582
Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

I’m getting a lot of shaking from every bump I hit on the pot holed streets of Toronto. When I push on it, it looks to me like the movement is mostly coming from the Ram mount. Maybe the ball of my mount is made from a more rubbery material… probably was an amazon purchase. I am happy with my gps location but can’t put up with the shaking display.

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts
I’m getting a lot of shaking from every bump I hit on the pot holed streets of Toronto. When I push on it, it looks to me like the movement is mostly coming from the Ram mount. Maybe the ball of my mount is made from a more rubbery material… probably was an amazon purchase. I am happy with my gps location but can’t put up with the shaking display.
Have you tried running it on the handlebar? If so is the bouncing the same? The Ram mounts are designed to move a bit, that's how they absorb the vibration.

Either way you might want to experiment with the positioning of the Ram arm. If the Ram arm is straight up and down then it would transfer the shock of bumps right up the the GPS (like landing from a jump without bending your knees.) I don't seem to have any issues with mine moving much. Perhaps I'm just used to it.

..Tom

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I was wondering the same, mine is almost straight up and down, so there isn't the weight of the GPS "hanging" forward on the mount. I'll admit though, our roads here are in decent shape, that may be the biggest factor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I mounted my Zumo using a Ram mount ball screwed into and in place of one of the bar clamp bolts. It is perfectly stable. But. I do prefer to have it up in my line of sight. I was going to get one of the adventure Tech mounts but not of it shakes. Can those that have the AT mount please comment. Thank you.
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gauge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts