StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Nuvi that I want to use on the bike. I am told that it has an antiglare screen; however, using it in direct sunlight is pretty much useless.

Are the motorcycle specific units better in terms of screen visibility in direct sunlight? The screens of both look about the same in the store but they won't let me take them outside.

Also, is anyone using the non-motorcycle specific units and tried the antiglare screen covers that are availible for them online?

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi that I want to use on the bike. I am told that it has an antiglare screen; however, using it in direct sunlight is pretty much useless.

Are the motorcycle specific units better in terms of screen visibility in direct sunlight? The screens of both look about the same in the store but they won't let me take them outside.

Also, is anyone using the non-motorcycle specific units and tried the antiglare screen covers that are availible for them online?
Yeah, the motorcycle specific units have a "Drive towards the sun" setting (like, "Avoid highways") so you don't get a glare on the screen.

Hope that helps.

And yes, I'm being a smartass. I just got done house-hunting for the past 4 hours. I'm a little drained. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes, the motorcycle specific units have a special provision, and a specific instruction sticker that says IN BRIGHT SUNLIGHT, BE PREPARED TO SQUINT WITH ONE HAND SHADING THE SCREEN OF THIS GPS UNIT...AND BE ADVISED THAT THE BIG TRUCK YOU SAW THREE BLOCKS UP IS NOW TURNING LEFT IN FRONT OF YOU.

The value of spoken instructions from a GPS cannot be understated. And the representation that your GPS will be sunlight readable kind of goes out the window anyway when you are wearing sunglasses or have a tinted shield on your helmet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of the "glarestomper" might have to give that a try.

Ultimately, I would like to get a Zumo but can't afford it after buying the bike, luggage, and a bunch of other crap for the bike that I probably didn't need but somehow convinced myself that I did. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I would agree with you, except I paid $200 for a Nuvi and an extra $75 for an aqua box and mount that made the glare even worse for me (total $275).

For $75 more I got the Zumo 450 for $350. That extra $75 got me Mapsource, routing, bike mount, MP3 player, hard wiring, etc. I wish I had not spent the $275 on the Nuvi - though my wife loves it in her car, so no real harm done.

·
Registered
22,235 Posts

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Whoops...for got to paste the quote about not being able to afford a motorcycle GPS in my post above.
One thing to look into if you can't afford a motorcycle GPS, is to look at some handheld hiking units. Most are easy to see in the sun and are waterproof (added bonus, quite a few run on AA batteries, so if your cigarette lighter is no longer functioning, you can just stop by a gas station or Wal-Mart and get a few more days worth of power until you can sort out the other powering issue).

The Garmin 60CSx is popular, along with the Oregon series (Garmin handhelds). Lowrance is coming out with a handheld series called the Endura with three different offerings depending on how much $ you want to spend and what features are important to you (Lowrance handhelds)*

Added bonus: most of these units have good off-road maps/routes, so if you decide to do any exploring, these units are really nice.

* - Disclosure: My wife's company wrote the software for these. I'm not trying to push them, but just giving you another option. Lowrance is a good GPS company and quite a few people like their XOG unit. Supposedly, the Endura line should easily be able to surpass the Garmin units.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tried my tomtom 930 in an aquabox. Total crap. Unreadable in all but overcast skies, too much glare.
I looked at the Oregon and did convice the clerk, we went outside and it had the same problem, great looking screen indoors, but dirct sun and the antiglare and touchscreen combine to wash it out.
I went with a 60csx, all the functionality of the oregon and sunlight readable. I didn't get a Garmin chartplotter (276/37x) for the reason above, garmin mem cards instead of SD.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
low tech solution in a techy world

I'm confident that one or more of you will beat my arse for this low rent suggestion but: make a gps visor out of a 12 pack case (or your rubbermaid top box), hold it in place with duct/electrical tape (whatever is handy around the campsite/motel room/garage/homeless shelter) and see if it works. If so, you're done or at least know whether or not to buy a glarestopper.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Get a clear mylar film made for like an I-Phone or PDA that is anti-glare and that should take care of your problem

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My Nuvi works fine on the Strom, but only if it's connected to the 12vdc power supply. On internal battery it's really dim, with external power it brightens right up. If it looks like rain I put it in the plastic covered pocket of the tank bag and squint.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, Kenneth you've convinced me to give the one I have a try. I am going to order the Ram handlebar mount for it. If there is too much glare I'll try elbrown's suggestion to make a glarestopper out of duct tape and a beer box.

Thanks all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts