StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compare=compare&compareProduct=309&compareProduct=350

It's down to these two. The 76Cx floats (for when I take it off my bike and go fishing), accepts higher memory cards, and seems to have the better screen (transflexive). I can get it for about $30 more.

I've found a ton of info here about the 60Cx, but does anyone have any experience with the 76? Would it mount the same as the 60?

edit: and a question--I can enter lat, long coordinates in these as well right? Is it a touch screen? If not, how much of a pain is it to enter these by hand?

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
My understanding of the two units is that functionally they are pretty much the same thing. if there are differences they are minor.

Neither has a touch screen. They are not super easy to put in coordinates although they aren't terribly hard, either, just a bit fiddly. They do hook up easily to a computer using USB and in that case it is real easy to enter in waypoints, etc.

..Tom

·
Registered
797 Posts
What features do you particularly want from the 60cx? Have you considered the Zumo 450? After you're done buying the maps for your 60cx, along with a RAM mount and power cable, you're basically at the price of a Zumo 450. I think it's worth a consideration.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you consider the new Garmin Colorado? Pricey sucker, but pretty cool graphics and features... doesn't float though...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11019
$300 is about my limit. I really don't see anything all that different about the Colorado besides onboard memory, a picture viewer, and the ability to share between units. It does have a couple map preloads though...

Mr.Metal said:
What features do you particularly want from the 60cx? Have you considered the Zumo 450? After you're done buying the maps for your 60cx, along with a RAM mount and power cable, you're basically at the price of a Zumo 450. I think it's worth a consideration.
I want it to be versatile. I want to be able find a coordinate on my fishing guide, punch it in, get as close as I can with my bike, and then hike the rest of the way.

I'll also be using it this fall to hike around and find some nice hunting spots.

Basically, I need an all-around type GPS.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ok, then it sounds like the 60cx (or maybe 60csx?) is the best choice for you. I don't know if you'd be much happier with the 76cx, unless you plan on dropping it in the water a lot ;)

Don't forget that you still have to pick up maps for the unit, as the base maps suck.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
60 versus 76

Outside of my post earlier this week about how the 60 CX is a "smokin hot unit"...........I've had a 60 Cx for 3 years - overall it's a good unit. I had some concerns, documented - regarding what I thought were flows in the case design around the junction of the bottom of the display and the case housing sides - I had minor cracks which I solved by sealing with cyroanulate glue.

The operational characteristics of the unit -menus etc are relatively inutitive to figure out but clearly not a "point and shoot interface". Versatile though and does fishing , hiking , geocaching and biking for me quite satisfactorily. . I also use (borrowed) a 76CSX. Outside of altimeter and elecronic compass feature -the units are virtually identical in operation and function. the 76 floats and is a little larger in the hand than the 60 which is advertised more for the hiking type community. Also-- the controls are on top of the screen in the 76, which means you might cover up some details momentarily when operating the controls but this is a moot point with me. On the other hand, the buttons are larger. Since I fish a lot, both wading and boating, , the 76CSX is what I'm getting as a replacement for my now defunct 60 CX. The case also appears a little more "robust" but only time will tell if that is true. In Great White north, the 76 comes with a 128mb card, the 60 only with a 64 Mb card - if that makes a difference.

One man's experience.....safe riding

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts