StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly certain that a Zumo is in my near future. I'm wondering what people do when riding away from their home area and it's time to hit the restaurant...store...or whatever activity takes you away from the bike.

Detaching and carrying with you is obviously secure, but seems a hassle. Putting it in the Givi while everyone is watching doesn't seem ideal either. Just leaving it on the bike and walking away seems pretty high risk.

So what are you doing with your portable electronics when the bike is out of sight?

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Anything loose that I don't want to wander off goes in the topcase, a V46. If whoever it is still wants whats in the case and decides to bust it off, break it open, steal the bike, etc, then so be it, I have insurance with a low deductable.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Anything loose that I don't want to wander off goes in the topcase, a V46. If whoever it is still wants whats in the case and decides to bust it off, break it open, steal the bike, etc, then so be it, I have insurance with a low deductable.
I agree with that except for one minor detail: You still have to get back home. Suppose it's 30-odd degrees, you are a good distance from home, and someone pilfers your top case with gloves, helmet, etc. in it. It's gonna be a long ride home or someone is going to have to bring you some spare golves, helmet, etc. I admit the chances are slim, but they still exist. It's frequently a nuisance to take things in with me, but at least that way I'm pretty sure I'll have them when I get back.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I have the 550 and wouldn't trust the security screw any farther than I could throw it, I take it with me.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
When I'm on the road for a day or three, I carry a full bike cover that I use at night. The rest of the time, I'm not usually in a sketchy area, but sometimes I'll put the rain cover over the tank bag, which has a rat's nest of wiring securing it in place. If I lost something (like the Zumo), it'd suck, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Same here. If they want it that bad take it, I'll take a bus home.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
+1 - - I throw my Zumo in my tank bag and take that with me along with my helmet. It's not really a hassle. One flip of the top lever on the Zumo and it pops right out; one click of the tank bag holder and it comes right off. Takes less than 1 minute for both of those things to be done.

My Garmin 2820 goes in my tank bag, and the tank bag (as well as my helmet) goes where I go. Hassle? Yup, but it's still the most secure.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I rode all over the country before GPS. I can find my home without one. That being said, besides my Zumo, my PDA is also a GPS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I can park where I can watch it, I leave it on the bike. I also have a Scorpio alarm and I set that when I leave gear on the bike whether I can watch the bike or not. If I'm too far from the bike or in a large building I'll take the Zumo with me.

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
my Zumo is pretty secure, for all practical purposes I have to take the windscreen off to remove the zumo from it's cradle, it appears as though its a built in part of the bike no different than the instruments

my V1, it depends, it usually stays put cause I'm parking in areas that theft isn't a concern, I'm more likely to remove it due to threat of rain. it's not a big deal to remove it, I unplug it and stick it in my pocket, the V-1 remote adaptor, it, like the GPs, looks as though it's part of the bike

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
The security screw seems to work pretty well to keep the Zumo in its cradle, but the cradle can be yanked off the RAM mount with just a couple of twists of the wing bolt. I'm thinking I'll just replace the wing bolt with a regular hex bolt and tighten it up.

Plus, I always cover the Zumo with my helmet (which, if I'm in a dodgy area, I lock to the bike with a cable lock). The Zumo makes a nice helmet 'stand', and is pretty much completely hidden inside the helmet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts