StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a GPS on the Vee. Should I just go with my Map60 or should I get one of the new fangled ones? Wondering about ease of install and being waterproofness stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
You should probably give an indication of what sort of use you want the GPS for.There is a big difference between navigating across a city or navigating through a forest on unmarked roads.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Tough to beat the Garmin Zumo series for use on a bike.
If you want a 'dual purpose' then that may be something different.

Tough to beat the price for a Zumo 450 @ costco.com...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Follow this thread for a good overview: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=29377

My view is that you either go cheap, with a GPS that will cover the basics and get you where you want to go, or go whole hog and get a Zumo, a Tom Tom Rider, or a Garmin 2820 with bluetooth, all the sat radio features, programability and so on.

A middleground I recently discovered is the Lowrance XOG. It's waterproof, and is even shipped with a bicycle handlebar mount that will work fine on a motorcyle, for well under $200.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I can vouch for the Rider2 from TomTom. I used it for over 33,000km this summer and it works great. Completely vibration/waterproof and lots of great features. It comes with a BT ScalaRider headset if you want voice instruction (I never bothered with it).

Although it doesnt play music and you cant look at pictures, that is not what I was looking for in a GPS.

It also comes with a RAM mount.

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
I have been using a Garmin 60Cx with City Navigator v8 for the last few years. It works well, and I think think is one of the best general purpose GPS units out there. I use it on my bike, in my car, on my ultralight airplane, and used to use it for Geocaching. It works great with few negatives.

However, if I was to buy a new GPS today i would likely be a Zumo 550.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have been using a Garmin 60Cx with City Navigator v8 for the last few years. It works well, and I think think is one of the best general purpose GPS units out there. I use it on my bike, in my car, on my ultralight airplane, and used to use it for Geocaching. It works great with few negatives.

..Tom

Darn it Tom, I am soooo jealous that you can get both maps to stay in ur sig!!!

cheers!

:cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didn't put in more info. The Vee is going to be a pavement queen. I have a Garmin Map60 but the screen is a little small and am not sure which map set to get. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would like one that I can geocache, hunt, and ride with. And I want it cheap, mac compatible, and in color. Any suggestions (other than to dream on)?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Like V-tom, I have a garmin 60 CX and 76 Csx -both are good units for versatility on/off bike. The 60 Cx falls easier to hand for geocaching but I either works well. Strongly recommend, if you get one , look at Gilson neoprene cases - not waterproof but fit well and prtest the case form hard knocks and cover the screen from scratches. These cases also have a belt loop / biner arrangement which I find handy.

One point , if it's important - the 76 floats, the 60 series doesn't-unless they've changes the specs in last two years. As someone who fishes a lot - it's the 76 that goes with me, just in case

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
...A few questions

Tough to beat the Garmin Zumo series for use on a bike.
If you want a 'dual purpose' then that may be something different.

Tough to beat the price for a Zumo 450 @ costco.com...

..Tom
Could someone tell me how difficult the Zumo 450/550 & 60Cx screens are to read in bright sunlight ? Do you need to get a shade for either of them ?

Also, do you need to buy a separate audio cable in order to get a headphone jack for use with standard size earbuds ? Is the bike mount that comes with the 450 useful if you want to mount center above the console ? Does the unit come with a standard automotive cigarette plug ?

Do either of the GPS’s give confusing video/audio prompts when negotiating complex turns or intersections ?

·
Administrator
13,515 Posts
Could someone tell me how difficult the Zumo 450/550 & 60Cx screens are to read in bright sunlight ? Do you need to get a shade for either of them ?

Also, do you need to buy a separate audio cable in order to get a headphone jack for use with standard size earbuds ? Is the bike mount that comes with the 450 useful if you want to mount center above the console ? Does the unit come with a standard automotive cigarette plug ?

Do either of the GPS’s give confusing video/audio prompts when negotiating complex turns or intersections ?
I can't talk about the Zumo's, but for me I only have difficulty when the sun is at certain angles. I think it is when the sun is in line with the GPS.. say when riding west in the evening or south at noon. All the other times it is quite clear.

I have never seen an audio out for the 60 series. They do beep (unless you mute it) and that really doesn't help when riding. I don't see it as much of an issue, however. I used it to navigate through Washington, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:State>DC, which for me was quite confusing with the 6-way intersections, and didn't have much for problems. Now, that was in a car and I could hear the beeps but the unit seems to give a good amount of warning, and in a bike at the slower speeds I would have likely heard the beeps as well.

<O:pAs I said before, if I was buying one today it would likely be a Zumo but I can happily live with my 60Cx for a quite a while.

..Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have no problems with bright sunlight and the Zumo. Just depends on how you have it mounted. Where mines mounted on the V-strom it doesn't get any glare.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Follow this thread for a good overview: http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=29377

My view is that you either go cheap, with a GPS that will cover the basics and get you where you want to go, or go whole hog and get a Zumo, a Tom Tom Rider, or a Garmin 2820 with bluetooth, all the sat radio features, programability and so on.

A middleground I recently discovered is the Lowrance XOG. It's waterproof, and is even shipped with a bicycle handlebar mount that will work fine on a motorcyle, for well under $200.

Found the XOG at $149.00 here:http://www.compuplus.com/i-Lowrance-XOG-Road-Trail-Water-Crossover-GPS-Navigation-1020613~.html?sid=9ik161u85205842

1 - 16 of 16 Posts