StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - Sinse I are a GPS idiot...I shall ask the questions

I do not want GPS directions! I enjoy getting lost!
I do want a digital compase & thermometer.
I changed my sprockets and my speedo is off.
If I get an old Garmin GPS III or V...
Will it give me speed, compase & thermometer
Is there a subscription fee with GPS's?

I like the wayfinder digital compase & thermometer, but there is the speedo problem too...

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Okay I can answer some of your questions. Like you, I really didn't get on the GPS wagon until a couple of months ago. Even then I purchased a refurb Garmin 2610...less than $200. GPS signal is free. High end GPS's have traffic info, sat radio, weather info, require subscriptions. Most GPS's give speed and direction info. My biggest use of GPS is not directions but marking a specific waypoints that I may want to return to sometime later. This allows me to be anywhere and return to that exact spot. Works great if you are lost a find a really great road, you'll be able to find it anytime you wish. Also use it to wander around while on vacation. Mark your motel, friends house, etc pick a direction, wander till your hearts content and easily find your way back. Put some thought into what you could really use this thing for and buy a little more than you think you'll use. You'll find a bunch a uses for it once you own it. I don't depend on it as my only means of navagation. I still carry maps but it does add another element to motorcycle riding.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
The GPS will tell you your track, not really like a compass which points a direction. However when you are moving the GPS will point you in the right direction. If you have a hiking type GPS or use an automotive GPS in " off road "mode it will display a " pseudo " compass rose and will point the direction of your course.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I like the wayfinder digital compase & thermometer, but there is the speedo problem too...
Pick up a used II+ or a III and it'll do what you want. No subscription.

II+ and III are easy to find on ebay.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Except my old Garmin II+ and my new eTrex Vista don't do temperature.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've got an old Garmin 12XL in perfect condition. It'll tell you pretty precise speed, and direction but only if moving (i.e. no electronic compass as some of the newer units have). No temperature. PM me if interested. I have all the manuals, case, etc. It's looking for a good home.

·
Registered
981 Posts

It's a good plan, using a GPS for all these things, but the downside is now you're attached to it. I don't even like carrying a cell phone, so there are other options you might consider depending on how adventurous you feel.

1. The Formotion thermometer is awesome, but don't pay extra for the lumiglow face...it doesn't glow so great.
2. Speedohealer + corrected speedo face will fix the sprocket issue.
3. And if you enjoy getting lost, don't get a compass.
4. Get a GPS anyway...they're bad ass. :mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts