Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
The only one that truly works consistently, without any firmware issues, software issues, and doesn't cost an arm AND a leg AND a second mortgage to buy, upgrade and to keep going(armin).

Me & My Mio!!!!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I have a Garmin E-Trex Legend and it died last year. It was about 5 or 6 yrs. out of warranty but Garmin gave me a refurbished unit for free. That's the best customer service I've ever experienced. I will go with Garmin on my next GPS purchase.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I have a Garmin E-Trex Legend and it died last year. It was about 5 or 6 yrs. out of warranty but Garmin gave me a refurbished unit for free. That's the best customer service I've ever experienced. I will go with Garmin on my next GPS purchase.
Why don't you try a Zumo 660...............:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a Zumo 450, but if I was buying today, I'd probably go for the Lowrance XOG
They're both discontinued, I think.

As to the 660, someday it will work the way it's supposed to work and not be so damcrippled. :var_15:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

As to the 660, someday it will work the way it's supposed to work and not be so damcrippled. :var_15:

I took a long look at the Lowrance iway system. Ultimately, went with my Mio.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 500 as a cheaper waterproof solution, would love a Zumo, just couldn't afford one. The only thing I wish I now had was the bluetooth, but other than that it works great.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a Garmin Nuvi 500 as a cheaper waterproof solution, would love a Zumo, just couldn't afford one. The only thing I wish I now had was the bluetooth, but other than that it works great.
Does it do routes and waypoints?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes it does routes up to 10 legs and you can add way points. Never having used a Zumo, from the spec sheet the only major difference is blue tooth. The price was right at just over $200 as I primarily wanted to use it for multi-leg routing and I wanted it to be waterproof. Added advantage for the strom is it has built in TOPO maps.

·
Registered
22,268 Posts

Zumo 450 has been discontinured, but Lowrance is still making the XOG its limitation is that it does not accept 2.0 SD cards so your limited to 4gb cards

the 450 hads been great for me, but I haven't "used" it a whole lot other than listening to mp3s

the XOG is a crossover with more off road and marine capabilities as well as street applications, satelite immagery & aerial photography is another feature that peks my interest

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Garmin

I ride with a Garmin Zumo 550 and with the extra cradle use it in the car as well. Great user friendly gps. It does require a inexpensive amplifier, like a Boostaroo, to get adequate speaker volume for mp3 music files, if your wear earplugs.
My original old Garmin 12, bought in 2000 still works flawlessly. I've found that all battery powered devices work best with some dielectric grease on the connections.

·
Registered
74 Posts
GPS60CSX

I have the Garmin 60CSX. Great little unit that has been bulletproof for three years of hard use.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
TomTom Rider2. I have been very pleased with it, and its been on my bike for approx 50,000km, rain, snow, sleet, bumps, etc.

I also have it paired with the Cardo ScalaRider Q2 multiset, so I can get hands free phone calls, listen to my IPod and/or FM radio as well as communicate hands free with a passenger or another rider (up to about 500 meters).

Cheers!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 that goes back and forth between my bike and car. It has taken two tumbles to the pavement at cruising speeds (once from a loose bracket and a really rough road, and once in the accident) and still works fine. Housing is getting a little chewed up looking, though :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
13,519 Posts
I have the Garmin 60CSX. Great little unit that has been bulletproof for three years of hard use.
I have had a Garmin 60Cx for I think about 4 years now (and a few Garmin eMaps before that.) I use it on my Ultralight Airplane, used it as a backup on a flight in a Cessna from Toronto down to Long Island in the Bahamas (we could have done the whole trip with just the 60Cx), I have used it to navigate on long roads trips in cars, and have used it for literally tens of thousands of kilometers of riding in all kinds of conditions.

I have said previously that when it dies I would probably get a Zumo.

Having ridden with guys that have Zumo's I am wondering if I would actually do that when I destroy my 60Cx.

I think the Zumo is a great unit but I have started seeing a number of things that I like better on my 60Cx. The 60 loads files instantly. when I load routes on it I see them instantly. No waiting.

The 60 has hard buttons for everything. Don't get me wrong.. touch screens are nice in a number of cases but I don't know that having to take your eyes off the road and tap though a menu tree to do some basic things is the best thing for riding. Some of the stuff like looking up names of POI's or waypoints is way easier on the Zumo but I don’t find I am do it that often anyway. I can do many functions on the 60 without looking at it. Sure, I know we shouldn't try to operate these things while riding but it seems everyone I know does this some time or another.

I see that to stop the music requires going through a menu tree. I use an iPod for music. It wasn't my first choice for music but the other two units I had were short on volume and broke anyway. Now, my iPod, in a RAM Aqua Box, works well and I can stop the music with a quick tap or two.. without even looking at the unit. I can also listen to my music at home, on an airplane or in my car if I want.

The small screen is a limitation on the 60Cx but I can say that I have gotten used to it and can find my way around. Same thing for lack of voice.. I am used to it. I like that I can show what data fields I want and also how many. I have what seems to be an unlimited number of tracks. I think the labels for the tracks are limited compared to the Zumo, but in practice that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'd rather have a GPS than not have one, and I do like the Garmin units, but when I finally kill this unit I will have to really think hard about what I do.

..Tom

·
Registered
22,268 Posts
TomTom Rider2. I have been very pleased with it, and its been on my bike for approx 50,000km, rain, snow, sleet, bumps, etc.

I also have it paired with the Cardo ScalaRider Q2 multiset, so I can get hands free phone calls, listen to my IPod and/or FM radio as well as communicate hands free with a passenger or another rider (up to about 500 meters).

Cheers!

I've heard lots of raves about the Cardo ScalaRider Q2 multiset

BUT don't see anything in the specs about stereo an I missing something or do you have to listen to MP3s & FM in mono

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I've heard lots of raves about the Cardo ScalaRider Q2 multiset

BUT don't see anything in the specs about stereo an I missing something or do you have to listen to MP3s & FM in mono
Only the MP3 is in stereo. FM is Mono. You have to plug your IPod, etc in to a plug on the headset.

Quote from the Cardo website "Includes an embedded jack to plug in an MP3 player for wired Stereo music (cable included)."

Voice instructions from the Rider2 recieves priority, and will halt music, as will an incoming phone call.

The Q2 also has auto volume (compensates for ambient noise), and if you buy the MultiSet, your passenger can conduct their own phone calls as well.

For some reason, when running your MP3 thru the headset, you lose a fair amount of volume. I bought a Boostaroo to correct that situation.

http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

Cheers!

·
Registered
22,268 Posts
Only the MP3 is in stereo. FM is Mono. You have to plug your IPod, etc in to a plug on the headset.

Quote from the Cardo website "Includes an embedded jack to plug in an MP3 player for wired Stereo music (cable included)."

Voice instructions from the Rider2 recieves priority, and will halt music, as will an incoming phone call.

The Q2 also has auto volume (compensates for ambient noise), and if you buy the MultiSet, your passenger can conduct their own phone calls as well.

For some reason, when running your MP3 thru the headset, you lose a fair amount of volume. I bought a Boostaroo to correct that situation.

http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=14

Cheers!
I still can't find the quote your refering to ..... with any mention of stereo....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts