StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to get a larger than my Garmin Nuvi for my bike. I don't want to pay Zumo prices and would like a large display.
I was also told that the new Garmins with forever free maps play commercials like your passing a McDonalds why don't you stop in for a burger......
I don't want to hear commercials from a GPS.
I am not familiar with Tom Tom or Magellan but maybe they now do the same thing.
Any suggestions????

· Premium Member
4,195 Posts
What is your budget?
Do you want it to be waterproof or do you expect to buy a case?
Do you want to be able to make your own custom routes and upload them?
Do you plan to use it in a car also?
Do you need a headphone jack?
Do you want an MP3 player?
Do you already have a smart phone?

I have a 765WT along with a Zumo 550, Zumo 665, Nuvi 500, etc and the ads are small and occasional. The Zumos seem expensive unless you want a waterproof unit with car and motorcycle mounts, map software, mp3 player, bluetooth, wall charger, etc.

· Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your budget?

I have a 765WT along with a Zumo 550, Zumo 665, Nuvi 500, etc and the ads are small and occasional. The Zumos seem expensive unless you want a waterproof unit with car and motorcycle mounts, map software, mp3 player, bluetooth, wall charger, etc.
I want a large display and I would love to make my own custom routes and upload thru my PC.It would be used in car also and I would bag it for wet weather. I have a iPhone 4 now.Headphone jack for MP3 player I don't need.
Flexible budget say $200.00.......Tops

· Registered
2,537 Posts
What is your budget?

+1 on Garmin 765T - same here.
Works great and does it all except for water proofing.
A zip lock with two rubber bands water proofs it, when needed (I keep in pocket of jacket for that one big rain that I wasn't prepared for).
For $108 on NewEgg (refub.), how can you go wrong??

· Registered
2,537 Posts
1490T refurbished seems better with larger screen and 30% more volume from larger speaker.Just looking for the "deal" now
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=82601

Headphone jack/audio line-out: no
MP3 player: no

Maybe you don't need to have it as a media player, I do.
The GPS instructions and music work great together. I can hear music through ear buds, instructions come up and the music pauses. Then the music resumes. Very useful.
Also easier to control with gloves than operating android/iphone/mp3 player since UI is on screen.

I think 5'' is too big and heavy for a motorcycle, and is not needed.
4.3'' is a huge screen as it is.

· Registered
2,537 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Garmin nüvi 2360 LT Review

I think this does routes as in you plan a ride and download

If you look for dirt adventure then you need the routing feature.

Double check its in here but its at Amazon for only $219 brandy new
Hi Rich,
I'm no sales person for Garmin 765T, but that GPS too has no MP3/External Audio

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=69452

I got to find 765T after much research (my original Nuvi 360 stopped working and it had MP3 and external audio output), trying to get one GPS that can actually output audio.
It seems Garmin have locked down these Audio features on all new entry-level models.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Hi Rich,
I'm no sales person for Garmin 765T, but that GPS too has no MP3/External Audio

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=69452

I got to find 765T after much research (my original Nuvi 360 stopped working and it had MP3 and external audio output), trying to get one GPS that can actually output audio.
It seems Garmin have locked down these Audio features on all new entry-level models.
One more thing to note:
Look at all current 2012 GPS models:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401

All the car ones have no "Headphone jack/audio line-out".. This cannot be by chance. Several of their GPSes used to have it.

Guess which one has it? The expensive Zumo 550 and models above.
Why? Perhaps because it is high end, and perhaps because Garmin know that this feature is needed for riders, and not typically needed for modern cars (that have built in MP3 players and/or external players like smart phones).

But the obsolete, and actually hard to find now, 765 still had that feature.
So did the cheap 360.
No more..
They want us to get the expensive Zumos.

Now I have to tell you, that listening to the GPS while riding, significantly reduces the need to actually look at it.
It is hard to appreciate until it stops working and then you feel awkward looking at the screen all the time.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Does the 765T hook USB to PC and plan and download routes?
I don't need dirt routes just pavement.
Yes, of course.
I use Tyre to design and upload routes. It is a piece of cake and you save the routes as GPX files (standard Garmin files) which can sent to others, or backuped etc.
This solution works great, and I have used it several times, including the long routes on the Vermont rally that we had last month.

The 765T also has blutooth - It connects to your phone, gets all contacts, receives calls and you can make calls.
I typically get the call from wife (the GPS show me the caller), usually stop somewhere and take the call, and I hear her talking to me on the earbuds :) That's fun.
I can talk back by raising voice and talking to Microphone - It doesn't happen often at all, but nice to see who is looking for you. Remember that smart phone don't work with gloves, but the GPS operates 100% fine.

It also has FM transmitter - works fine when I want to hear MP3 and GPS instructions on car audio system (My dodge grand caravan is 2005 and has no audio input), we used it on a trip to Canada.

One more nice feature - it shows you the intersections/exits on highway with a 3D realistic view. Useful.

· Registered
76 Posts
my first Zumo was almost a grand through my BMW dealer. My recent one for the wee was bought on Amazon for almost half as much and it is worth every penny . Being able to wear a headset with ability to hear the Zumo is more than worth the cost over all other lesser cost options.

With the Zumo I get voice turn by turn and cell phone comes into the Zumo with all the apps and goes from there into my Scala headset. The total package comes with awesome mounting options and madstads mount for wees is great . Everything is up in the line of sight and efficient and can be easily wired to come on with the ignition by way of a fuze box and existing wiring plugs and a eager beaver adapter. Sometimes it just pays to go a little extra on something that can work so damn well you don't have to be fiddling about or destracted and miss important turns.

OK rant over , I'm just sold on the zumo so much I bought two of them one for each bike.

· Registered
724 Posts
With the Zumo I get voice turn by turn and cell phone comes into the Zumo with all the apps and goes from there into my Scala headset.
Which Zumo do you have, and which Scala set do you have?

I bought a Scala G4 headset after I was blown away with the set a co-worker bought. The blue tooth integration actually works! with my apple iphone. I'm a heavy commuter and use pandora on my phone for some tunes on the ride to work. Being able to skip songs from the headset is awesome.

But the guy at work ran into a hitch with his Zumo (I forget which model he has). It seems the Scala treats both the phone and the Zumo as 'phone' devices and will only sync with one or the other at a time. Have you found a way around this?

· Registered
148 Posts
Which Zumo do you have, and which Scala set do you have?

I bought a Scala G4 headset after I was blown away with the set a co-worker bought. The blue tooth integration actually works! with my apple iphone. I'm a heavy commuter and use pandora on my phone for some tunes on the ride to work. Being able to skip songs from the headset is awesome.

But the guy at work ran into a hitch with his Zumo (I forget which model he has). It seems the Scala treats both the phone and the Zumo as 'phone' devices and will only sync with one or the other at a time. Have you found a way around this?
Yeah there is, sync the phone to the zumo first and then syn the scala to the zumo. you can then use the zumo to do everything. Just remember to pull up and don't use the phone when riding - bit of a no no down under.
Farmer.

· Registered
724 Posts
The guy @ work has the Zumo 220. He claims he cannot pair the phone and GPS to his headset simultaneously because the GPS presents itself in 'phone mode'. Whatever that means.

He claims to have tried to operate the phone through the GPS but it "locks up" and this is a known issue. He claims the more expensive Zumos work better here.

In the Garmin specs they list the following for blue tooth modes:

Zumo 665/660: yes (with A2DP technology)
Zumo 220: yes (helmet or headset use only)

So do the better Zumos have 'better' BT tech?

· Registered
6,839 Posts
Because I believe there was some accuracy issues between my Oregon 300 and the HD ride planner I am trying to get to use base map from garmin in the hopes that the tiny roads will be the same in the computer and the Oregon.

So far success alludes me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.