StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm starting to look for a gps and a mounting system to do some distance riding and was just wondering ppl out there are running and recommending? Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi all, I'm starting to look for a gps and a mounting system to do some distance riding and was just wondering ppl out there are running and recommending? Thanks
I bought one of these, $20 from HongKong to my door

5 6 Inch Motorbike Pushbike Waterproof GPS Phone Case Cover Mount | eBay

Then I went to the JB HiFi and got a 5" Garmin Nuvi 2597 on special. It's for a car bu tthe case is waterproof and has several padded mounts to put under the GPS to soften vibration.
Working great so far and easy to use with gloves on.
I thought I'd take my chances and spend $150 rather than $800.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
We use the Garmin Zumo 660, we have them mounted to the handle bars using a RAM mount.

We run our music thru them to our headsets with an 8g micro sd card loaded with music, more than enough for any trip we have done.:yesnod:

They have been great and being made for bikes are waterproof and quite robust, but not cheap.

But then you get what you pay for & we would buy another one in a flash.:yesnod:

Cheers V2man 7 GotaV2

·
Vendor
4,742 Posts
A word about position of the GPS mount.

I am a firm believer in placing the GPS above the dash for safety. It lessons the amount of focusing and refocusing when glancing at the GPS and the road stays within your peripheral vision while looking at the GPS.

This is something all of can determine the validity of right now sitting at your computer.

Search "view of road."

Select a picture and make it full screen. This one will do. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/White-tailed_Deer_Crossing_a_Road_Kensington_Metropark_Michigan.JPG

Look down at the support base for your screen where an over the dash GPS would be located. Notice how you can see the road in your upper peripheral vision.

Glance back and forth a few times.

Now glance down to where your GPS would be if it were mounted on the handle bars or on a tank bag. Notice how it requires greater adjustment of the eyes and how you see less of the road in your peripheral vision.

With some tank bag mounts the road is completely out of your peripheral vision.

While some of us may have reasons for going another way, this little exercise may help some who haven't made up their minds.

·
Registered
333 Posts

I am a firm believer in placing the GPS above the dash for safety. It lessons the amount of focusing and refocusing when glancing at the GPS and the road stays within your peripheral vision while looking at the GPS.

This is something all of can determine the validity of right now sitting at your computer.

While some of us may have reasons for going another way, this little exercise may help some who haven't made up their minds.
Totally agree. I learned when I got my first cruise control in a car that the biggest benefit was not having to constantly re-adjust my eyes as they wandered from road to speedo.
I guess it depends on the amount of use made of the GPS. I only use them when negotiating an address in the city/suburbs. There are enough traffic lights to check the next turns while stopped.

Out of the city it's maps,maps,maps. I read them, hilite them, imagine what's there over the hill :thumbup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Get a Garmin Zumo and mount it above your speedo just below your natural eyeline.
It seems to be much safer than looking off to the left or right when looking at the GPS and then back at the road again. There is a nifty above dash mount available too
Car Gps is a cheap fix but try and program a custom offroad etc route and you'll be pulling out your hair. Get a Garmin

·
Registered
21,986 Posts

I am a firm believer in placing the GPS above the dash for safety. It lessons the amount of focusing and refocusing when glancing at the GPS and the road stays within your peripheral vision while looking at the GPS..
while I agree wholeheartedly, and that is where I have my Zumo mounted, with my curmudgeon hat, be aware that some state laws prohibit "video devices" from operators view

one of my friends was recently "warned" during a stop.... the officer also had him do a sobriety test, he was stopped not because he was doing anything wrong except riding a motorcycle in a snowstorm so he musta been drunk, was the officers assumption

I had a local fabrication shop make a mount for me. First, I made a cardboard prototype, for test fit, and took that to the fabrication shop, it's made from aluminum plate about 3/32" thick, it also stiffens my Madstad mount and lets my have the Madstad mounted in the highest position

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
92 Posts

Since my new bike is sitting in a warm heated garage while its -20 and snowing outside I have had time to look at mounting locations. The above photos look to me to be the best for my Strom. I have used a GPS on all my dirt / adventure bikes for the last 10 years. On my other bikes I never had this mounting option. Not having to look to the side and refocusing looks to be a much safer option IMHO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My GPS mount was custom made locally and I added the Kradellock for on bike security!

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
I tried Tom Tom Rider, didn't like first two, dodgy connectors. Changed over to Garmin Zumo 660. Happy with it although there is a new model out.
In my opinion it pays to have a bike specific GPS. Expensive but better in the long run.
Had mine on the Kawasaki 1000 GTR for 200,000 klms no problems in all weather.
Now putting it on the Wee on over dash Ram mount.
Also have an Etrex set up to show Overall and Moving averages, Distance, Time elapsed. This one is wired with USB to stay on all the time when on a run.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the 660 because it came on my Can Am Spyder and I wanted to bbe able to use it on both bikes.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I bought the waterproof zippered GPS case from Amazon, that way I can use it if I buy a different unit. I drilled two holes in the windshield and bolted the mount to the inside of the windshield. its in perfect eye position, above the dash. Just make sure you use a washer under the head of the bolt to support the pressure onto the plastic of the windshield. I added a power outlet to the top panel on the black plastic around the opening for the handlebars as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
thanks for the reply's guys.. what model garmin zumo are you running/ reccomend?
Older Garmin 660 have better back ground colours for bright day time viewing but the new ones have better features. Garmins are a great what ever model you get but the bigger the screen the easier it is to use while riding

·
Super Moderator
13,104 Posts

I suppose that can be an issue for some; but then what about seeing the Fuel gauge, tach and Speedo? I suspect most riders scan those routinely while riding just as they do the mirrors and all around them.

I have mine on my left handlebar similar to the previous photo by V2man. I use a longer arm so that my tank bag doesn't block it. When my Garmin Zumo 660 is in the cradle it almost blocks the left turn signal indicator so visually is in line with the dash and it really isn't much issue to change focus any more than looking at the gauges are. When riding it is an easy glance down (just like fuel, tach and speedo) and has the added bonus of being able to easily reach while riding so that I don't have to reach way out front to use it.

Different strokes!

..Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone used a garmin montana 650t on their bike?
I use an Oregon. It is similar to the Montana, with almost the same software but a smaller screen. If I had it to do over again I would get the Montana for the larger screen. It is water and dust proof, and designed to be knocked around. It has a micro-sd card slot so you can use different maps. If you use the city navigator card the unit acts just like a Zumo or Nuvi, with turn-by-turn navigation. You can also use topo maps. There are free maps available if you don't want to use the official Garmin ones. I just use the Oregon with AA batteries. The Montana has a mount that attaches to the bikes electrical system like a Zumo, or you can use it with batteries and a RAM mount. I use mine on a DR-Z400 as well as on the VStrom. Because it is designed for hikers it has features that make it especially good offroad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have any thoughts on the garmin 660 vs the 590lm? i do quite a bit of 4x4 work as well so would be a bounus if one unit could be used for both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts