StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
My bike came with a 12v socket connected to the switched aux circuit down inside the right side of the fairing. I had my GPS wired directly to the battery but, sure enough, drained the battery. Can the aux circuit support both the 12v socket (intended use is only a USB charger for my phone) and the GPS if i tap into it? I don't know what the combined draw of those two things is or the fuse rating on that circuit.
Thanks!
Kyle

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
KSM, my '14 DL1K has a factory power source socket, and the fuse for its circuit is rated at 3 amps. I dont know what the draw of either your phone or GPS is but you can use a 2-into-1 adapter, use both phone and GPS and see what happens. The manuals that came with both of those MAY list current draw. If so, add them together to see if they exceed the 2 amp capacity of the fuse.

What you can also do is run a Battery Tender harness to a convenient location, and optain a Powerlet(Powerlet.com) adapter SAE of the Tender Harness to whatever socket you like and power it there. The Tender harness has its own 10A fuse.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My short answer is “yes”.
I had a dual USB port connected to the aux circuit and kept my phone and gps plugged into it with no issues.

My longer answer is “you might want to explore other options”. Although I had no problems with charging my devices I did encounter a problem. My USB port shorted out after washing my bike. I didn’t have any devices plugged in but when it shorted out my bike instantly died. The aux plug is connected to the ignition circuit. Luckily there was no traffic and I was going slow. I know lots of people use the plug for this purpose. Personality, I would rather just my phone/gps stop charging than to have my bike die. I’ll be wiring the charger into my pc8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts