StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When this bike came across craigslist I just had to go check it out, and when I saw it in person I bought it on the spot as the guy was fielding call after call on the same bike. $3300 for a 1989 Goldwing with 36,000 miles, in perfect condition, not a scratch on it and everything working including cruise control, air suspension with on-board air compressor, and 2 matching communication helmets. That's 1,500 miles/year!

I've always been kind of a closet fan of the older goldwings, and despite having made my share of old-man-just-buy-a-convertible-already goldwing jokes they are amazing two-up tourers. This one has no sporting pretentions whatsoever but it floats down the road like a cloud. I have two young sons that love to ride with me, and the best road trip I ever took was with my 11 year old on an overnighter last year through Yosemite and the Sierra passes. We have plans for the same trip in a couple weeks and with him having grown a foot since last year things were going to be a little cramped on the wee for a guy that likes his space.

At this money I'm sure I can use it for a season or two, probably a dozen trips or so, and then sell it on for no loss or even make some money. I'll still be riding my Wee 95% of the time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice. Looks like you got a great deal. A buddy of mine sold his '95 wing for a roadking. I didn't understand it, but he wanted the harley. I took his wing out a couple of times and was amazed at what such a big bike could do handling wise. It was a barcolounger, but that's what is was designed for.

Enjoy the new toy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congratulations. looks like a nice one. some times you never know what you want to ride today.

sold the green one and now added the 2011 white Wee

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Craigslist can be very addictive indeed. Nice bike and a great deal. The 07 KLR that I bought last fall went back on Craigslist a month ago. I had 12 calls total and had it sold within an hour of listing and for a few hundred more than I bought it for.........the best part being I kept the Jesse II boxes that it came with. :hurray: That will be a great, inexpensive ride for you no matter how long you keep it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did your son have only one foot last year?
:green_lol::green_lol:
Sorry had to ask...

-Kevin

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. nope he's had 2 feet all along.

·
Registered
508 Posts
nice find! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Heck of a deal! I like the older Wings, may buy myself one next year.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I put 96,000 miles on my 96 1500 Wing without as much as a burp. They dont break. BTW the PO of that bike killed himself to keep those wheels looking the way they do. I have an 02 Wing now with 80 something on the clock. Again no problems. You just can't kill them.
Now people are getting all exited about that New BMW 1600. I doubt that new fangel BMW can shine a Wings shoes in the trouble free dept.

This 02 Wing is my 4 th Wing. I put 90K on my 76 Wing which I bought new for 2600 dollars & my 87 Wing hung in their for 130K. Sold it to a friend & it's still rolling around.
So, a 1500 wing w/ 36K on the clock is a New bike. Roll my friend roll that thing far & long.
I must say that my Wee is behaving very well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not my kind of bike but if you like it, GREAT!

I could never buy anything off craiglist.I want to check things out and most sellers, even legit ones just want to make a quick deal and move on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome deal. I am trying to find a Wing for my dad. Going to do a trike conversion so my mom can ride with him. She has very limited mobility so they want a trike.

Congradulations!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks like a museum piece - what a pristine shape for a bike that's over 20yrs old. Great buy!!! They were $23k new...

Reverse gear working too?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I could never buy anything off craiglist.I want to check things out and most sellers, even legit ones just want to make a quick deal and move on.
That's my feeling, but I figure that's a personality trait -- I'm a get-one-thing-right kind of guy. If I were trading frequently and had several, then the risk of one dud fades to tolerable. It'd be fun if I had the bucks and time.

I admit to a secret fondness for Wings. I have no doubt I'll have one under me eventually.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's my feeling, but I figure that's a personality trait -- I'm a get-one-thing-right kind of guy. .
BINGO!

Took me a month to decide to buy the Wee. It was a fantastic price, it had everything I wanted and more (for a first bike) and yet....was this the "perfect" bike for my needs? And what were those needs? And how did the bike feed those needs? And will my needs change? And will the bike be adaptable to those changes? And.....And....And....

So the wife said "buy the effen bike before I change my mind and whine again".

So I made a decision! :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Nice find eye.surgeon. That flat six is one of the smoothest motors out there.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It was a fantastic price, it had everything I wanted and more (for a first bike) and yet....was this the "perfect" bike for my needs? And what were those needs? And how did the bike feed those needs? And will my needs change? And will the bike be adaptable to those changes?
See, that's why I'm single in my 40's. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
When this bike came across craigslist I just had to go check it out, and when I saw it in person I bought it on the spot as the guy was fielding call after call on the same bike. $3300 for a 1989 Goldwing with 36,000 miles, in perfect condition, not a scratch on it and everything working including cruise control, air suspension with on-board air compressor, and 2 matching communication helmets. That's 1,500 miles/year!

I've always been kind of a closet fan of the older goldwings, and despite having made my share of old-man-just-buy-a-convertible-already goldwing jokes they are amazing two-up tourers. This one has no sporting pretentions whatsoever but it floats down the road like a cloud. I have two young sons that love to ride with me, and the best road trip I ever took was with my 11 year old on an overnighter last year through Yosemite and the Sierra passes. We have plans for the same trip in a couple weeks and with him having grown a foot since last year things were going to be a little cramped on the wee for a guy that likes his space.

At this money I'm sure I can use it for a season or two, probably a dozen trips or so, and then sell it on for no loss or even make some money. I'll still be riding my Wee 95% of the time.
One that looks just like it popped up today on the local CL -- same year, color, but 21,000 more miles and $1700 more dollars as the asking price. Still tempting, but I just bought two new bikes...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I've bought and sold several bikes on craigslist. I haven't regretted a single one. I'm not sure how the evaluation process is any different other than the means of finding the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts