StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly I ride with ear plugs so I'm not sure when it started but I've noticed a rattle, apparently coming from the front cowling area, sort of plasticy more than metalic. Every time I go over a bump there it is, sounds like something's going to fall off. Get home, get it into the garage, sit astride it, front brake on and heave it up and down on the front forks for all I'm worth. Not a sausage, clunk or rattle. Have a good feel around the front forks area where it appears to be coming from, nothing lose. Next time I go out, sans ear plugs, there it is again. Driving me nuts. I've taken to watching the front screen and surround (not a good idea) in case something's going to fall off. Is it flexing more than it used to?, am I paranoid? who knows.:headbang:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Check the bolts on the side of the steering stem that hold the bracket that reaches forward to hold the front plastics. M8 x (something).

Pete

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once in awhile the round plastic covers on my Stebel horn always like to rattle at certain road conditions. The horn is mounted inside the cowl and the rattle sound gets directed toward the rider.

If you have the same type of horn, you might be hearing the plastic covers rattling?

Ray B.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Rattles are a part of living with these bikes in my experience. Not to say you shouldn't check the critical bolts etc to make sure they are all secure, but you'll never get rid of 'em all.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I found the lose bit and it looks important. If you peer over the bars past the cable holders and look down there is a rather large bracket with two bolts through it, or as in my case one loose bolt:yikes: I'll have to sort out what size it is and make sure it does not come loose again, thread locker? Tried to include a picture but it seems to have defeated me (dial up, everything takes ages). Or perhaps the photo did work:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like PeteW was the man any idea what it is, size, high tensile, gold plated plutonium? Not keen to take the remaining one out to size it in case all the bits drop off.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Looks like PeteW was the man any idea what it is, size, high tensile, gold plated plutonium? Not keen to take the remaining one out to size it in case all the bits drop off.
Pretty sure M8x20.

The hole is drilled all the way through, so longer won't matter.

Do yourself a favour, buy some lock-tite as well ;)

Pete

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's for that Pete, two new shiney bolts and a dab of thread locker later and no more rattle. May pay for others to check that too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Holy smokes I just had the same thing happen. What are/were these bolts holding together anyway?

Ok, I found the lose bit and it looks important. If you peer over the bars past the cable holders and look down there is a rather large bracket with two bolts through it, or as in my case one loose bolt:yikes: I'll have to sort out what size it is and make sure it does not come loose again, thread locker? Tried to include a picture but it seems to have defeated me (dial up, everything takes ages). Or perhaps the photo did work:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Looks like the bolts that connect the subframe for the fairing to the steering head. It's not unusual for them to come loose. Thread lock'em with Blue and they should be good for quite a while. The more you ride dirt roads the more they vibrate loose. It's not an uncommon occurance. Just check'em every now and then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts