StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Pelican Vault 200 handgun case that i want to mount to my OEM reAR RACK [2019 wEE] i was thinking of looping U bolts through the rack and drilling the boc and putting nuts inside. any other easier ways?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I positioned mine where I wanted it, marked it, then drilled holes in the oem rack. I used 4 SS bolts with fender washers and Nylock bolts to secure it. I highly recommend Nylocks due to the constant vibration.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I positioned mine where I wanted it, marked it, then drilled holes in the oem rack. I used 4 SS bolts with fender washers and Nylock bolts to secure it. I highly recommend Nylocks due to the constant vibration.
this seems much easier than me trying to fit U bolts through the holes in the racks. thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You can consider some neoprene washers between the rack and box for waterproofing and anti-vibration.

Reactions: vboost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would you mind posting a few pictures of that? Sounds like a perfect setup, but I can't quite envision it. Also, hello from Knoxville! :grin2:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Drilled and tapped 3 spots on my rack. Bolt/waher in and only worry about them working loose on long trips (periodic check at gas up time).

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Would you mind posting a few pictures of that? Sounds like a perfect setup, but I can't quite envision it. Also, hello from Knoxville! :grin2:
Yes I can since I am 22 days into a new knee and all I can do is stare at my bike. Stand-by for pic's..........

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Ok, I lied...it was my '07 that I drilled the oem rack on, my '15 came with a aftermarket rack installed. Anyway, here are the pic's, the install on the oem is just a little more involved due to space limitations. You can however mark the box location, then take off the oem rack and drill it. It will take a little time, but way easier to access for nuts n bolts.

The box:

position relative to rear seat:

inside the box fender washers:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Attachment:

If you leave the rack on, drill the holes in it first. Position the box, then use a pencil up thru the holes to mark the bottom of the box for drilling. Borrow someone with tiny T-Rex hands to fish the washers & Nylocks on the bolts.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
You could use time certs or such in the rack and avoid the extra nuts but whatever works is good.
I use lock washers and don't check at gas stops. I might check every other year for tightness.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
For those interested the metal loops on Moto7's case they are called "footman's Loops" They are available at most decent hardware stores or Amazon for a $1 or $2 per. They are low profile and make for great places to tie off items too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
You could use time certs or such in the rack and avoid the extra nuts but whatever works is good.
I use lock washers and don't check at gas stops. I might check every other year for tightness.

This is also a good place for a dab of purple Loctite. Or if your frugal take a bottle of the wife or GF's nail polish and put a drop on the threads. Tighten up the fastener and the nail polish once dried works like removable Loctite

·
Registered
503 Posts
Adventure Tech makes a real nice rear plate for $35.
I think he had to adjust the price quite a bit since, this was an intro offer only last time I checked. But Rick also posted some drawings and instructions for people to make their own custom versions which was very nice!
I ended up buying the PMR rack for a little over a hundred bucks including shipping which is a bit more high end with bent side rails and tapered shape.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts