StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I was making a right turn from a rural road and got rear ended by a distracted cager. The result was a totaled Wee, and a fractured back and right fibula for me. I'm on a 12 week healing timeline. I spent 3 days in a Fresno Trauma Unit, and I'll be wearing a rather cumbersome back brace device any time I'm out of bed. My wife helps me into it in the morning, and out of it at bedtime. I also wear a removable fracture boot on my right leg.

I'm lucky...it could have been much worse. For the first week, I didn't want to think about motorcycles. I was done. But...I'm already getting the bug. Trying to decide what bike to buy next. Probably another Wee, but the little Triumph triple adventure bike is intriging.

One last comment. It's been 2 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep from the insurance company of the fellow that hit me. What is the proper procedure in these cases?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
One last comment. It's been 2 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep from the insurance company of the fellow that hit me. What is the proper procedure in these cases?
I would ask your carrier to handle it and get there offer. Then consider a Lawyer. Not everyone does but it never hurts to chat with one at least. Heal well. I have a bunch of ADV DVD's I can loan you if you wish , shoot me a PM if you are interested. it sucks to be stuck in bed.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Bummer, man. Hope you heal up good.

I agree, put your insurance company to work on it, see what they come up. Depending on circumstances it might be time to get lawyered up, too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident - heal quickly.
I rode the 800 Tiger last week - it's smooooooth.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Ouch, that sucks. Did you have a tail light flasher or anything?

Maybe consider a Kisan Tailblazer. Their fantastic and really get attention. I had one on my last bike, and never had a rear ender, therefore they must be good. ;)

Heal up soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry for your accident.
I had three close calls last week. Then, last Saturday, I was sitting at a stop lighted intersection. There was an accident in the other lane, just off my left shoulder. It was a Lincoln driver not watching the traffic. He did an astounding job on the mid-sized car. I could only think of what that would have done to me on my Wee.
I spent the rest of the trip home considering getting out of motorcycling all together. I trust your recovery goes well and you can be restored to a life with no additional pain.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Two weeks ago I was making a right turn from a rural road and got rear ended by a distracted cager. The result was a totaled Wee, and a fractured back and right fibula for me. I'm on a 12 week healing timeline. I spent 3 days in a Fresno Trauma Unit, and I'll be wearing a rather cumbersome back brace device any time I'm out of bed. My wife helps me into it in the morning, and out of it at bedtime. I also wear a removable fracture boot on my right leg.

I'm lucky...it could have been much worse. For the first week, I didn't want to think about motorcycles. I was done. But...I'm already getting the bug. Trying to decide what bike to buy next. Probably another Wee, but the little Triumph triple adventure bike is intriging.

I am not a lawyer, just a retired Emergency Nurse. I normally don't recommend lawyers, but in this case I think you need one. Your broken back probably is going to bother you for the rest of your life. I am speaking from personal experience here. I have 4 broken vertebrae. The docs went in and glued them back together but the predominant characteristic of each and every day for me is chronic back pain. I thought I knew and understood pain after serving 8 1/2 years in the Marines, but chronic pain is on another level. Please do yourself a favor and have your wife contact an attorney for you. Get some legal advice from a pro.

I do hope that you don't have chronic pain, but you need to have your ducks in a row if you do. This can be life changing for you and it will likely cost you a lot of money if your back turns out to cause you problems. It can affect your ability to make a living and can affect your quality of life. Don't be passive here.

Send me a PM and I will give you my cell phone number if you want to talk to someone who has broken their back. I do still ride motorcycles (most of the time in a back brace/corset) and I do still love motorcycles so don't count yourself out on bikes.

Follow ALL of the doctors advice and get well dude. I hope and pray that in a couple of years you can look back on this and be content (and pain free).

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I was in a similar situation once and found a lawyer who specialized in motorcycle accidents and I'm glad I did.
The other thing I learned was how important it was to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance. Doesn't hurt/cost to speak to one.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I normally don't recommend lawyers, but in this case I think you need one. Your broken back probably is going to bother you for the rest of your life.
Pretty much sums it up for my opinion as well. I hate the ambulance chaser "you got hurt? now get paid!" mentality... but it probably will bother you for the rest of your life, even if only to a very minor extent.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Rear ended- seek a Lawyer

Your injury might stay with you for life---Find an experienced lawyer. Don't ever deal with an insurance company on your own, they will walk all over you! If you try to deal direct by yourself it could be the greatest mistake you will make in your life. Injuries such as yours WILL come back throughout your life. PLEASE be pro- active,what will you do for money if in the future you cannot work?
I speak from experience, let an expert act on your behalf.

I wish you well and take care.

WARDY

·
Registered
38 Posts
Document EVERYTHING!

Keep a "pain log" a little note pad and jot down everything you can remember up till now then keep it current. Simple notes like- Dizzy spells for 3 hours this morning, Couldnt sleep last night, back hurt bad this morning, leg aches and i cant sit right, etc. This will be essential to a good lawyer. My wife was hit head on and didnt get hurt as bad as you but her shoulder still hurts sometimes 2 years later!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man I wish you well! I just had an accident with my old GS. Fortunately I walked away with nothing but a cast on my arm. I feel your pain with the insurance company.
Take care and keep good records. Hope you heal pretty quick.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yes to all the good advice above. Be sure to include all your financial loses including riding gear.

Next time, a couple of things to keep in mind:
--SAS-TEC or equal top quality back protector to slip into your riding coat, not just the flimsy foam pad.
--Always have an escape route available to you.
--Watch your mirrors.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, friends, for your replies. I'm not the litigious type, but I think I'll consult an attorney. I must say, this is the best forum on the net. Bike people rock!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just another vote for the lawyer.

I am going through the exact same thing. It was over a year ago that I was rear-ended. I really dislike lawyers and thought the insurance co. would be fair. Guess I was living in lala land.

I finally have a trial date this Sept. The Insurance co. just try to wait you out. The offer I got was for less than 1/3 the value of the bike and most medical expenses covered. We'll see what a jury has to say.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
My wife was T-boned by a Ford Topaz driven by a 19 year old who said "I didn't see her/the sun was in my eyes". She was riding her bicycle and got flipped up and over the top of the car, breaking her tibia and lacerating her liver [lucky that was all it was!].

Luckily the guy was on his father's auto insurance, and one of my wife's friends worked for the same insurance company, and covertly looked up the guy's insurance limits on his liability plan. It was 100k. Armed with this info, she basically told the insurance company rep. to go blow himself, when they lowballed her with the standard minimum 20k pay-n-go-away offer. The insurance company [yours or the other party, or both] will all try to screw you lowball style, but figure on standard limit dollar amounts.

Lots of people have crappy insurance, or don't even have it. Which is why I always carry 100/300k uninsured/underinsured insurance on my policies, just to cover my arse. Lucky for my wife [she's a lawyer], this guy's dad was covered pretty well, but unless you can find out this information for yourself, you might want to hire an attorney to bulldog the insurance company. But, it doesn't cost you anything to contact the insurance company and find out where you stand with regard to the coverage situation you have with your own insurance and the guy's who hit you. If you lawyer it, you will have to cough up a standard 1/3 of whatever you get from insurance towards your lawyer, so keep that in mind.

Good luck, and you will get better! Just takes longer than you think it will - and doctors don't know shit when you ask them for specifics, so don't be frustrated by that when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts