StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new Silver 650 today. Had it out for a 50 km run and am totally impressed. The engine is amazingly smooth and I was also suprised by the power, considering I am following the break-in procedure. I had it up to 110 kph and found there was a bit of head buffeting, but the shield is in it's lowest position so I'll let you know how raising it affects the turbulence around the helmet. The fuel injection is flawless as well as the transmission. I can't believe how smooth the bike shifts. The seat feels confortable, but we'll see after a 1000 km ride day. I'm planning on doing a 3 week trip from Toronto Canada to Las Vegas and then south to New Mexico so I hope it's as comfortable as I think it will be. After a good ride I'll give my ride impression with a bit more detail.

Rich

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rich said:
Just picked up my new Silver 650 today. ... I'm planning on doing a 3 week trip from Toronto Canada to Las Vegas and then south to New Mexico so I hope it's as comfortable as I think it will be. After a good ride I'll give my ride impression with a bit more detail.
Rich
Rich

I would be interested in the gas mileage that you get. There has been a lot of talk about the 650 not gettting any better mileage than the 1000. But it seems to me that you should be getting 60-65 mpg (US).

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Mileage

I averaged 50 MPG with my SV.
The V-Strom 1k gets around 40 MPG.

60-65 MPG is BOGUS.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>But it seems to me that you should be getting 60-65 mpg (US).

naw, no way. My wife got that with her rebel 250...lol

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hux said:
>>But it seems to me that you should be getting 60-65 mpg (US).

naw, no way. My wife got that with her rebel 250...lol
Well, I know that the F650GS can get 60 - 65 mpgs, and the F650CS can get up to 70 mpg. These figures are for riding the highway at about 60 mph. I know that I can get 60 mpg on my KLR650 and it is carburated, so I was thinking that with EFI I should be about to get at least 60? Note that I don't have a DL650, so I have to go by what you guys tell me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just picked up my DL650 today. I'll be doing a good bit of riding over the next few days, so I'll report back what I find on mileage.

So far, very comfortable bike to ride. Takes some getting used to - it's tall, and while it isnt heavy it is defintely big. The engine takes some getting used to - coming from a ZRX1100 that was modded, this is a big step down in HP and even torque, but it really isn't as much of a difference as I thought it might be. The engine has plenty of low end torque and the fuel injection gives it instant and smooth response.

-Shady

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:54 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know they made silver DL650?
Only in Canada but US got black and we didn't.

Real world reports are 50 mpg during break in and 40-45 during normall riding. I think that's damn good.

No offense to anyone but if you can get 60 mpg you must be lugging it in top gear

Bobb

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buffeting

Just had the bike out for a blast at 110 kph with the windshield in it's hightest position and still had a bit of buffeting in the helmet. The air stream was right at the top of my helmet but even at slower speeds you could feel the turbulent airflow and annoying droning sound. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be putting the windshield back to the low setting and chopping about 3-5 inches off so that the windblast is just off the shoulders, but my head is staying in the clean air. I know alot of guys that own the 02-03 DL 1000's have said even with the taller screens they can't get rid of all the buffeting. Most have just decided to just chop the screen and take the clean air to the head. I guess it depends on your heigth (I'm a 183 cm's) but it seems to me it'll take a big shield to take all the air completly over and around your body.

Rich

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buffeting

I put the tallest Cee-Bailey windscreen on my 2003 V-Strom and it works fine for me. I am 6'6" tall, about evenly divided between legs and trunk, so I sit pretty tall. I think Suzuki threw the aftermarket folks a curve when they changed the windscreen mounting system this year, since the screens they developed for the '02 / '03 series V-Stroms won't mount on the '04 bikes. So I'm not sure if anything is available on the aftermarket for the '04 bikes yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts