StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High winds in my area today with gusts up around 35 MPH. Good day for a road test I thought. Set it up with the hight and angle that looked right. Decided the real test would be without ear plugs but took some along just in case.
In the past the wind noise was really loud and I needed ear plugs. I was really surprised how quiet my ride was with the Madstad. I got up to 80 MPH against the wind and it was still good.
I got the Med Gray Tint shield 20” that goes well with my Black 2018 Wee. The guys at Madstad are great to do business with and it is made in the U.S.A.. ?? ?

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I have both an Givi Airflow and a Madstad on two bikes and the Madstad is best when adjusted properly. The acrylic also doesn't scratch up like the poly on the Givi's. I got my Givi direct form Italy for $93 on a Black Friday a few years ago. THe Madstad is expensive by comparison - but worth it. ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Was the best farkle on my two stroms ...amazing....and now going on my CB500x today ...it has air flow wings on the CB500x ....is that the same for the current Vstrom?

I was using the Madstad and a Givi screen.

A tip ....buy one size up on the screen - the range of adjustment is very large and the larger screen goes lower for the same top point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
High winds in my area today with gusts up around 35 MPH. Good day for a road test I thought. Set it up with the hight and angle that looked right. Decided the real test would be without ear plugs but took some along just in case.
In the past the wind noise was really loud and I needed ear plugs. I was really surprised how quiet my ride was with the Madstad. I got up to 80 MPH against the wind and it was still good.
I got the Med Gray Tint shield 20” that goes well with my Black 2018 Wee. The guys at Madstad are great to do business with and it is made in the U.S.A.. ?? ?
How tall is the 20" windscreen? Can you post a photo? My concern - I don't want any view abstraction, I am 5.11

I have GIVI airflow and sometimes it is extremely noisy.. :) But I like the adjustability function of it...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
On my 2013 DL650 I had

Stock screen = really bad @ any setting (head felt like it was in a paint shaker at anything over 45 MPH)

Givi airflow = about 50% better than stock

Madstad 18" Adventure = 80% better than stock (bike was tolerable with just the Madstad)

Taking it further in the quest for even further reduced buffeting:

Double Take Adventure mirrors took care of about 10%

Handguards took care of 2 or 3 % of the buffeting

Winglets took care of 2 or 3%

The remaining 4% to 6% was never cured but the bike was a lot more tolerable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Born to ride. Depending on how you measure it, it is around 20”. I have it set on the lower setting. I still don’t know how to post a picture to this site. I talked to the guy at Madstad and gave him my height and inseam and he recommended the 20”. I think even the 18 would work with the adjustment available. For different years of Storms it may make a difference.
I don’t have winglets just the windscreen. Call them up and they will help you decide what you need. They have a picture of the screen on a 2017-18 on there site.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just realized my K6 Vee came with a Madstad bracket and Givi windscreen. I'm happy with it and have no complaints about the aerodynamics at speed, as long as the wind's not blowing too hard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yup I have the same one only clear. I like it too but I don't have much to compare it to except the stock screen which was intolerable. I have an idea to improve upon it that I'll be trying soon. If you feel the airflow while riding, a good amount still comes up between the main fairing/instrument panel and the Madstad screen. This is as it should be BUT that air comes mainly TOWARD you rather than UPWARD. I'm working on a deflector that will hopefully aim that air more in the upward direction thereby pushing the everything higher and over the helmet area.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started my ride with my visor open on my full face helmet with sun glasses on it wasn’t until I rode a few miles that I realized it was still open. The air was that still. As I rode along I heard things I never heard before like the click as I shifted as I rode and I even heard the exhaust. I’m very happy with the windscreen as it is and for me I don’t see any improvement needed at this time. ??

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Just wondering if while riding, you are generally looking over the windscreen or through it?

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
You should be looking over the screen always unless you are behind a truck with debris.

Just put mine on the CB500x today ....tho I must admit the stock screen was not bad.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Came with the kit. Not sure if available on the Vstrom. Also not sure needed as the Vstrom tank is big.

Will see how well it works in cooler weather today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 6ft 1 using the Madstad brackets with a stock 15 inch screen on my 09 V and its just about perfect. The wind hits my helmet on the top where the airvents are which is handy and I get less buffeting with the screen angled back a bit rather than upright. Not sure it's worth the $$ to get the Madstad screen though. I'm not a fan of tall screens so I'd be ordering the 16inch. Anyone tried a shorter Madstad screen?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got my Madstad 20" screen a week or so ago. Installed and have been enjoying it ever since .
I'm 6' 1" 32 inseam and it seems to work the best for me at the fully raised position. And I'm
at the advised 40 degree angle. Being the screen is about 4 " wider accross it slides the side drafts around you.
And the gap between the gauge cluster and the back of the windshield seems to reduce turbulence by
a huge margin. Buffeting it almost nil at highway speeds. Slower cruising at say 45 mph is like being
in a lazy boy at home. Best money I've spent so far. Worth every penny. I just could not take the stock
one any more. I have it only for emergency use. or if the bike gets sold. ( don't see that happening)

Mine was $265 shipped. And yes that stings a little -but the ride is velvet. :mod2_scooter::party:

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got mine last week, I should had ordered a bit taller than 18" I'm 5'8". My helmet still buffing, but much less than stock.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got mine last week, I should had ordered a bit taller than 18" I'm 5'8". My helmet still buffing, but much less than stock.
Try playing with the adjustments a little more. Focus on the tilt function and see if you can dial it in. :smile2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Call them up and they will help you decide what you need.
Things might have changed with Madstad since you wrote this. I just tried calling them to talk through their product and I think they must have outsourced their customer service reps. I called and asked something about height and the lady put me on hold for a while and then came back and said, "I checked their website and it says..." and then she just reiterated the sizing chart on the site. She had no knowledge of the product at all. I didn't bother asking her about buffeting issues or anything else. She was really nice but was unable to assist me with anything other than making a purchase which I could do on the website anyway...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I fitted mine yesterday 20" version. I don't care for the look of it at all and was considering selling it immediately but when I took it out for a ride I was able to hear new sounds from the bike and have zero buffeting when the screen was adjusted all the way up and all the way back. It does work and works well but I wish it didn't sit out 100 mm from the headlight fairing. It cost me a fortune to Australia so I've decided to keep it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts