StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am banged up with sprained wrists, several cuts one requiring stitches, hurt groin area, stressed knee, and can hardly walk yet. But, no fractures and I am still here.

I was on my way home from a dirt ride up in Lolo and coming into Lolo Hot Springs on Hwy 12. Speed limit is 70, I was doing about 60 to 55. Two vehicles slowed to turn left across my lane into a campground. I slowed and the first one turned, I was braking as I thought that was a bit close. The second, a huge truck with homemade steel front bumper up to the hood, decided to turn also. I gave all my braking that I could and the Highway Patrol estimated I impacted the front end at about 45 mph. Went through the front of the bike flipping up onto the hood and then to the ground. The gear did its job and I was unhurt mostly except where I went up and through the front.

The driver was cited for turning in front of me. The Patrol officer thought I was lucky to be alive. I agree. The bike...most likely totaled. Supposedly the other driver has insurance. I will see what happens. Right now I am in recovery mode and off work. :jawdrop:

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Damn glad you still here to tell us about it! Get well soon!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hope you mend soon, sorry to hear about the accident.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bet you had all the gear on...that probably saved your life. Next time your wife complains about cost of a helmet show her the old one. I have a friend who bought a very expensive helmet, wife complained about cost. AFter his accident she wanted to know if there was an even more expensive one he could buy.

I hope that there are no lingering effects. 45 mph is fast. Good luck on your recovery. I hope they give you good drugs.

Finaljudgement

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dang, hate to hear this but glad you're mostly ok and wearing good gear. Heal fast.

·
Registered
818 Posts
dude, so sorry for your mishap. i'm glad for you that it's not worse and pray for a quick recovery and smooth insurance settlement.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, but for a head on collision I'm surprised you're doing as well as you are. Motorcycle gear is a great thing, if have time maybe do us all a favor and tell us what you were wearing.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Dude, you're alive. Count yourself a very lucky rider.

Well not too lucky. The clown did indeed almost kill you.

Heal up well and I hope you find a nice new bike to replace your baby.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good job mitigating the impact! Hard braking was probably the only thing you could do. Do you think ABS would have made a difference?
My totally unscientific impression is that left turners are the biggest threat to us out there. I have dodged several so far from different aspects (head-on, right side, left side).
Heal well!

EJ

·
Registered
900 Posts
WHOA! Glad you're alive and (relatively speaking) "up and around". Thanks for telling us what happened to you. It'll help us to pay that much more attention to what's up ahead.
Heal well, Bro'.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear of your experience. Also hope to be as fortunate as you if Im in one of those type accidents :yesnod:

Heal well brother. Hope your bike is replaced properly and medical bills are paid for by irrespossible cager.

John

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Send me some of your good luck . Good thing you were paying attention....lots of idiots out there on the road.

·
Registered
565 Posts
:yikes:
Hate those left turners, one took me out two years ago, rest up and take it easy. Don't rush to get back to work as that is what STD is for.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
sorry man. glad you're talking to us.

on another note, there should be a public repository for a-hole cagers that do shit like this. their names and addresses should be posted along with pics of the carnage they caused...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Man, sounds like a painful crash. Glad you are mostly OK and I hope it all heals well and quickly.

Had a similar accident a few years ago, but in the city, so much lower speeds. Still managed to break my wrist from the impact. Make sure you keep good documentation on all treatments, lost time at work, and any other related expenses you have as a result of this accident (including damaged gear, etc.). When it's time to settle with the driver's insurance, they will do their best to give up as little money as possible. It's not personal, it's their business model. Your job is to see that you get a fair settlement for all accident related expenses you had. Some companies are easier to work with than others, if you think they are giving you the run-around, hire a lawyer. As soon as they hear you have professional help, suddenly their tune changes. DAMHIK. :headbang:

Good luck,

Gustavo

1 - 20 of 41 Posts