StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my first multi-vehicle accident on my DL650 on the way to work this morning.

I was stopped at a light and a guy came up behind me and hit my rear tire. Luckly it wasn't hard and I did not drop the bike.

The guy in the car said that the sun blinded him as he was coming over the hill and didn't see me.

The only damage was that my mud flap bent up 180 degrees...easly restored to normal position.

My question is...do you think that there could have been some other damage? Tire (he hit that squarely), bearings, etc...?

Now I know what time not to drive into work (sun at about 20 degree angle)!

Cheers!

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Whew, that could have gone an entirely different direction! Glad you are OK. You can check the bearings on the rear wheel by getting it off the ground, center stand maybe and rocking the wheel. Should not be any play in it.

Also check to make sure it did not push the wheel forward and introduce slack in the chain. When you have it in the air also check for issues with the rear swingarm movement.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would check the subframe for damage; also the rear tire alignment.

Flashing brake lights are your friend:
Or LED red lights that are very bright and can be seen even when the sun is in their eyes.

I got those but the downside is that I wish I had a way to decrease that light in the evening. The upside is that they are DOT legal.

I wonder, has anyone made brake lights with a daylight sensor?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I hope you got his information just in case. Now go out and buy a loto-max ticket, it seems to be your lucky day.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I was stopped at a light and a guy came up behind me and hit my rear tire. Luckly it wasn't hard and I did not drop the bike.
The only damage was that my mud flap bent up 180 degrees...easly restored to normal position.
The only visible damage.

My question is...do you think that there could have been some other damage? Tire (he hit that squarely), bearings, etc...?
Absolutely. I would assume nothing until the frame and swingarm are checked by a pro. Aluminum is peculiar; it isn't as resilient as steel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea! I am going to get the loto ticket for sure!! Though the brighter lights have now moved up to the top of my list of farkles to install!

I will put the bike up on the stand before driving home. I have about 50km of highway to get home and I don't feel like having a second accident!

After the hit I did check that the tire didn't move forward and the chain seemed to have the right amount of slack in it.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
48 Posts
They cost more than Ebay lights, but I recommend Hyperlites for the rear. They add light for cruising and are IMPOSSIBLE to ignore when flashing. The PO put an Ebay flasher on the back, but it's half as bright and doesn't stay on for running light. I'm putting the 8-light Hyperlites on as soon as my order arrives.

Too much trouble to steal them from my "for sale" cruiser.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I'm really glad you're OK. +1 on the Hyperlites. I even managed to install them and electric stuff is not my forte.

Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Are the Hyperlites DOT approved?

I am not trying to be difficult but imagine this....you get hit from behind, you have very serious neck injuries and the driver claims that the lights distracted him so much that he lost his visual reference point and hit you.

Now what? YOU have to prove t hat they were safe. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are the Hyperlites DOT approved?

I am not trying to be difficult but imagine this....you get hit from behind, you have very serious neck injuries and the driver claims that the lights distracted him so much that he lost his visual reference point and hit you.

Now what? YOU have to prove t hat they were safe. Good luck with that.
I would expect motorists behind you would think that they are closer to you than they actually are based on the brightness of the brake light(s). They would begin braking sooner and farther away. That would be a good thing, no?
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
And the check is in the mail

Get the lights if you want to. But the driver, 99% probability, wasn't paying attention. A searchlight in the face wouldn't have made any difference. Like Ron White says, you can't fix stupid. What such drivers really need is someone to whip out a firearm and make them really, really believe that they are breathing their last, in order to elicit a sufficiently emotional response that a permanent behavior change might occur. But our society frowns on that sort of thing. So we'll continue to have drivers paying more attention to the radio, passenger, breakfast burrito, makeup, cell phone, coffee cup, gas bill, and personal hygiene than the road and drivers around them. And all the lights in the world won't change that.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Stink

Did you get the driver's license and contact info? Did you file a police report? Is the driver willing to pay for your repairs, or would any repairs be an insurance item?

A simple test is to ride the bike as perfectly straight as you can. If it wants to go straight by itself, great. If it wants to wobble or go in circles, you need to find a motorcycle frame alignment shop to check things out. of the type of service you might need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I leave work for home at that sun angle...oh crap

Yeah, When I head home usualy the sun is setting right in my eyes. Perfect. I guess I will have to keep to the side of the car in front of me and hope clueless behind me isn't texting! Its amazing when you see the person to the right of you, in front of you and behind you ALL on cell phones.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
After the hit I did check that the tire didn't move forward and the chain seemed to have the right amount of slack in it.
If you don't see any "red flags" in this area, you are fine.

The driver hit your rear tire/wheel. Your subframe is fine.

If the chain showed too much slack, or too much tension, (from what you normally run), then you would need to dig deeper into determining if the wheel adjustment changed, and or the swingarm got "adjusted".

From what you describe though, I wouldn't worry about a thing and enjoy your winnings.

B.L.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I agree with what Black Lab is saying. You'd have to be hit really hard to bend anything, and the wheel will probably bend before the axle or frame or swingarm or swingarm shaft. Bearings won't be wobbly until they are really, really dead. Bearings that have the slightest roughness when they're rotated with the fingers (wheel out of the bike) are due for a change, and with your collision, the wheel will bend first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts