StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the time of my life at what America calls a dealership and the screw holding my shifter vanished after my visit.

About 2 hours later the lever came off... (that's when I realized)

My question since Suzuki dealerships are basically non existent in the next 8-10 hours of riding.... Can I really use a regular screw bought at a hardware store?? Or is that part the same as other brands of motorcycle?

Kinda nervous about messing up the grooves...

Look mom, I'm on Tapatalk!

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should be able to replace it with something from a hardware store. If there is a Lowes around, they have a nice selection of metric hardware. Good Luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
what number is it thats missing? 33?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Probably 33
I lost mine
replaced with a hardware store screw but longer and I added a nut to prevent further loss. I usually blue loctite everything. Maybe I forgot the last time I was fiddling with the shifter. It's been known to happen.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
If you are talking about #30, then you are in trouble. Blue locktite is your friend, and I cannot understand what it is about the 1000 models losing shift lever screws. If it is #30, you will have to persuade a dealer to take one off a bike on the floor, I highly doubt they will have one in stock.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I stopped at Amarillo's awesome ktm dealership (used to be a Suzuki too) and they sold me two bolts, the oem version and a longer one just in case.

And you're right, it's a pretty standard bolt.

Whew!

It was number 33 :)

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why are you in Amarillo? I can't imagine a worse place!!!!

:)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are you in Amarillo? I can't imagine a worse place!!!!

:)
Lol I only stopped to take a chance and it paid off!

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
So what's wrong with Amarillo? I imagine there are several places in Oregon that wouldn't rate on some folks list of great places.
That pivot on my Wee came loose once and I rode home in 2nd gear. It had only come undone and not lost. Tightening it up seems to have corrected the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So what's wrong with Amarillo? I imagine there are several places in Oregon that wouldn't rate on some folks list of great places.
That pivot on my Wee came loose once and I rode home in 2nd gear. It had only come undone and not lost. Tightening it up seems to have corrected the problem.

You've obviously never been to Amarillo!

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
Au contraire, Been to Armadillo many times. Never found it to be lacking in amenities and never had a problem with the law or the cowboys.
A Texacono talking stink about a town in Texas? How rude.
Never tried the Big Texan 72 ounce steak. I usually ate ate the Waffle House by the splendid Motel 6. It was at the end of my 1000+ day from LA.
Spent a few months in the Dallas Ft Worth area too.
I'm not fond of Hwy10 headed to Ft Stockton though. Too many Armadillo bodies strewn about,

·
Registered
596 Posts
You've obviously never been to Amarillo!
Yea, Been to Amarillo many times, But you need to live in Wichita Falls for 11 years, then you got something.:laugh2:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Au contraire, Been to Armadillo many times. Never found it to be lacking in amenities and never had a problem with the law or the cowboys.
A Texacono talking stink about a town in Texas? How rude.
Never tried the Big Texan 72 ounce steak. I usually ate ate the Waffle House by the splendid Motel 6. It was at the end of my 1000+ day from LA.
Spent a few months in the Dallas Ft Worth area too.
I'm not fond of Hwy10 headed to Ft Stockton though. Too many Armadillo bodies strew about,
I spent 11 years In Wichita Falls, Tx and never saw a LIVE Armadillo. Lots of dead ones but never a Live one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Back in my DR 250 days I hit a live armadillo near Columbus ga just after dusk. I didn't know what happened til I pulled over.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
Armadillos, kinda like a furry bowling ball when in protective mode.
My brother had a couple mandolin like instruments from So America that were made from the body of an Armadillo.
Passed through WF on one of my many escapes from Norman OK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts