StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from work, middle of Denver traffic, 35ish mph, suddenly a big chunk of rock/concrete in front of me (4th lane in a 5 lane downtown I-25 hwy), I clipped it, no biggie, bike handled it well, traffic on both sides, not a lot of wiggle room. When I got closer to home at a stoplight, noticed oil dripping. Closer inspection, rock hit my radiator, and the oil is dripping from the "seal/washer" where the hose goes into the radiator on the left side. Radiator shield took a dent, but radiator seems fine. I tightened it up, still leaks (when motor running). My thoughts are that this is probably a minor problem, but I wanted to get some input from folks who have played with this part of the bike before. It is a very light drip, bike still usable, but I want to get it fixed. Any things I should be aware of before I start pulling off parts? I that a compression washer? I'd attach a photo, but not sure how.

Thanks. Bill

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm sure you mean the oil coooler...
Oil in the radiator would mean your bike is fubar.

Check whether it's the lines or the oil cooler, and replace the part accordingly.
You can add a dye to the oil and check for leaks with a UV light; any mechanic can do that for you.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Get the oily parts completely clean and dust with flour. The leak will show.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
another reason why some sort of screen/shield is useful for protecting that low slung oil cooler!

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
That's horribibble! gives one pause to consider the 2 second rule, even in crap traffic.
I watched a Semi and car with trailer tangle in Memphis a few years ago. Sh-t Howdy did I back off! All those little chrome wheel nut covers from the truck front wheel were bouncing back at me from the Semi.
What PTrider said about the clean and flour is a good idea.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Oil Cooler. I ordered the bolt and washers, as I'm sure that the rock hit the bolt (hollow) and tweaked it just enough to cause the small leak to occur at the lower washer. Could have been worse. I'm a believer on the bigger, stronger oil cooler shield. Any suggestions? THanks. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts