StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my names Jon, I'm a Land Surveyor and a family man, been riding bikes for about 18years and working on them since day one. I've been lurking for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Bought My '03 today and love it. I have a couple questions for those who like chatting.

1: What's up with the search here? I can't get it to work at all, any tips?

2: When riding at +/-4k rpm the bike sorta surges, not enough to notice on the tach but I can definetly feel it. The bike is all stock (I think) except for a PCIII which came with no cable or software.

3: Rattles in lots of places, is there a thread addressing this?

4: Finally, how about a list of should do's and might like to do's. I know I need to do a TBS (saw the sticky) but in reading I see something about a fuel filter mod and something on removing secondaries??? Feel free to just post the links you think I may like to browse.

Sorry for being so lame, but with out search capabilities it's difficult to navigate.

·
Registered
926 Posts
1) Don't bother with the forums search. Use Google. E.g., if you want to learn about "Stubby Holders", type the following into the google search box:

Stubby Holders site:www.stromtrooper.com

If you want to know about Stubby Holders but only on Vees, use:

Stubby Holders site:www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000

As it turns out, there are no articles about stubby holders on Vees, looks like I will be the first :)

2) I get the same kind of "micro surges". In fact, I figured it was caused by small gusts of wind hitting the very un-aerodynamic shape of the Vee. Doesn't really bother me though.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Use the Google custom search box in the middle across the page under the header line instead of the Search button in the header line.

·
Registered
678 Posts
2: When riding at +/-4k rpm the bike sorta surges, not enough to notice on the tach but I can definetly feel it. The bike is all stock (I think) except for a PCIII which came with no cable or software.

3: Rattles in lots of places, is there a thread addressing this?

4: Finally, how about a list of should do's and might like to do's. I know I need to do a TBS (saw the sticky) but in reading I see something about a fuel filter mod and something on removing secondaries??? Feel free to just post the links you think I may like to browse.

My '03 is the same way. It will surge a little at some rpm's. A good tech, can probably get the PC3 to get rid of most of it. Then you will discover the "chudder". Welcome to Vee ownership. Rattles in a lot of places? Yup. Very mechanically noisy engine. Go over the bike with a shop manual and a torque wrench, then wear ear plugs. Again welcome to Vee ownership.

I took mine to the shop for a TBS and a TPS adjustment. It did make a noticable difference. I haven't done the fuel filter mod just yet.

With all the irritating little things that seem "wrong" with a Vee, they really don't matter all that much. Just ride the thing a lot and enjoy it for what it is. There is no perfect motorcycle. For example, I take back all the nasty things I said previously about Kawasaki airbox designers. However they guys who designed the V-Strom airbox, rear master cylinder, and clutch basket deserve to be publicly mocked for eternity then shot at dawn.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Use the Google custom search box in the middle across the page under the header line instead of the Search button in the header line.
That search function has not worked for me in a couple months. It returns absolutely nothing, no matter what I type into it.

I'm forced to now use the google site:stromtrooper for everything.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Hmmmm....the search box works for me.

Realshelby is the guy to talk to about vibrations. He does clutch mods and says that some vibrations come from the clutch that feel like they come from elsewhere.

A paid subscription here and on v-strom riders international is money very well spent. VSRI has a programming box for loan that smooths out the bike. Or, you can buy and install a Power Commander box. Our friend, Blair, svracingparts.com, sells them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Go to the Powercommander website and download the software, check which version you have. check the box to see if it's a pcIII usb, or the older non usb version. if it's the usb version you should be able to get a usb cable to fit the pcIII at a local computer store. you'll have to power it up with the engine off then you can plug in a computer with the software and download the map and compare it with the "zero map" you can download a host of maps from this site and others, word of caution! use only maps for the 02' and 03' models, the ecms are different than those on later year Vee's. once you figure out how to download maps to he pcIII then you can Analyze till your eyes bleed and your bike gets 15 mpg. or you can take it to a tuner and have it dynoed and take the guess work out of it. You can also use the three buttons on the front of the pcIII to make crude adjustments to the fuel curve. Before you go messing with the fuel make sure the TBS,TPS are checked. check or replace the spark plugs and air filter. there is a proceedure for testing the fuel pump. these things take some time but will give you a good base line to start from. from my experience just getting the lean spot out of these bikes does wonders. how far you want to go from there is up to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2003 VStrom advice

As the owner of a 2003 VStrom that I bought brand new, and now has 17k miles on it, I can tell you that my bike runs better than it did when it was new. One key is that the bike likes regular gas a lot better than the high test my dealer told me to run in it. That eliminated a lot of the surge I used to have. The other thing is that you need to replace the stock seat with a Corbin seat (or other custom seat). The stock seat sucks. I would also suggest getting an aftermarket windshield. 02 and 03 bikes have a unique windshield to subsequent years. I like a taller screen such as the Ermax screen I put on mine.

Other than that, ride it! They are not perfect, but are great bikes!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The PCIII takes a standard mini USB cable -- you probably have three or four in a drawer somewhere.

DON'T install the crappy map from the Dynojet web site. No idea where it came from, but it's bad. Really bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I plan on doing the TBS this afternoon and I'm trying to find the article on adjusting the throttle postion sensor.

The bike came with a Corbin seat and a Madstat windscreen. The mounting for the screen kinda sucks though and the thing jigs around at higher speeds.

The bike also has a PCIII usb. I need to get a laptop from somewhere then I'll see what map I have on it and try some of the more popular ones here.

There is a cruise control unit on the bike that has a control panel mounted at the mirror mount, a large vacuum can under the seat and a vacuum/cable control behind the side cover; the cable goes to a bead chain which is hooked to the throttle cam. The PO let the cable hit the exhaust and now it's useless. I replaced it with an Yamaha choke cable I had laying around but would like the proper cable. Any tips on identifying the manufacturer, there are no labels on any of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a ton for the Audiovox Link, that's it exactly. Now I can order the new cable. The cruise wants to hang for an uncomfortable amount of time when I pull in the clutch and the brake doesn't shut it off at all. Any tips for this?

I did the secondary sync today and it made a huge difference with the surging and the TBS sync sure smoothed out the engine chudder and the slightly rough idle. The TPS is next, then I'll sort the power commander.

Thanks for all the help guys, keep the tips comin'.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks a ton for the Audiovox Link, that's it exactly. Now I can order the new cable. The cruise wants to hang for an uncomfortable amount of time when I pull in the clutch and the brake doesn't shut it off at all. Any tips for this?

Thanks for all the help guys, keep the tips comin'.

Check the Purple Wire on the connection wiring actuator. It should be hooked up to your brake lights. It will deactivate the cruise when you apply either brake.

I have the same cruise and its really a nice option when your just motoring down the super slab at the same speed for a long time. :thumbup:

A couple web sites for you to look over.

There is a lot of other links on this post.
Murphskit CCS-100 installation questions

http://www.gadgetjq.com/av_manual.pdf

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay, she runs like a top now :thumbup:

TBS, TPS, and secondaries all done. Checked the air filter, changed the oil and plugs.

I then reset my throttle on the PCIII and installed Monkeygrass's http://www.stromtrooper.com/114019-post4.html now she is like a new bike. Idles smooth and pulls through all revs without the surge it had when I got it and the engine is a good deal quieter. Now if I could just get that clutch basket chudder fixed I'd be happy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts