StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this could be a sticky. I know there is a luggage pictures thread, but I thought it might be useful to have one with measurements and a rear photo of your luggage system. When I was trying to decide what size of cases I wanted to mount on my bike, my biggest concern was width. I wanted it to be as narrow as possible which can be a bit of a challange finding the right combination of capacity and overall width.

In my many searches of this forum for photos, measurements, etc.; I came up short on information. It is pretty easy to find the width of a Wee with Pelican 1550s mounted to Givi racks, but there aren't a lot of places the find how wide the bike is with a less popular case such as the Seahorse SE-720.

Post what you got: soft, hard, Wee, Vee, ugly, pretty, heavy, light, whatever is attached to the sub frame of the bike, let us know.

I'll start:

Seahorse SE-720 boxes (approx 26L each) mounted to Givi PL532 racks with Happy Trails pucks. Total width is 36"

·
Registered
349 Posts
Givi E45 (left) and E36 (right) mounted to Givi 532 racks. Between 42 and 43" wide which is hard to measure due to the rounded edge of the cases, but you get the idea. Wife doesn't think it's too wide since it makes her look like she is 30 again.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go over the VSRI forum and search the luggage section there should be a sticky thread showing the widths of the various bags with various racks.
That is great for all the folks who use that forum. I don't and surely many more like me use this forum. Some people merely ride their V-strom, but I am a Stromtrooper, thus I prefer this superior forum.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
width

Givi E45 (left) and E36 (right) mounted to Givi 532 racks. Between 42 and 43" wide which is hard to measure due to the rounded edge of the cases, but you get the idea. Wife doesn't think it's too wide since it makes her look like she is 30 again.

i also run E36 on the right and E45 on the left . it really helps when going between posts that are ment to keep traffic out of places . it means you can aim for the middle . with same size bags it would be less easy

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
32" at the widest point. Totally custom.

And, the maximum width is high enough that it is never an issue. I can now go places I could not go with a more conventional luggage system. I can carry all of the same gear, PLUS extra fuel and I am "skinnier"......

(Nice comfy backrest too!)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I see a lot of people with concerns about case width. I've never seen a report of case width causing a problem that I can recall.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
width

the only problem i find with width is when going around locked gates . usually a boulder is placed near the edges of the gate to stop 4x4s getting past . one reason i would never own a bmw boxer as the cylnders are so wide . in summer time in canadas national parks campsites are allways full and expensive . usually they have locked gates for the sand shed areas used only in winter to sand the roads . free quiet camping

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
the only problem i find with width is when going around locked gates . usually a boulder is placed near the edges of the gate to stop 4x4s getting past . one reason i would never own a bmw boxer as the cylnders are so wide . in summer time in canadas national parks campsites are allways full and expensive . usually they have locked gates for the sand shed areas used only in winter to sand the roads . free quiet camping
I do like your philosophy on riding. Same here.

I see a lot of people with concerns about case width. I've never seen a report of case width causing a problem that I can recall.
How about the photo where the rider was on a very rutted trail. The ruts were so deep and his bike ssssooooo wide, due to the luggage, that the bike bottomed out on the luggage and literally wouldn't let the rear wheel touch the ground. That photo is somewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Already posted this, but will repost here since "ass wideness" was a primary consideration:

I ride mostly w/ just the Givi E52 top case, but can double the 52 liter capacity w/ a pair of Pelican 1520s.

Skip to 4:00 for lane-splitting action woot:

Only 36.1" wide! :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Racks?

I ride mostly w/ just the Givi E52 top case, but can double the 52 liter capacity w/ a pair of Pelican 1520s.

Only 36.1" wide! :D

With what racks??

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
The main concern for me is when I'm riding the 2-track trails. My ammo cans are scratched and scuffed from countless branches but sooner or later I'm gonna swerve to miss a rock and hook a little tree with the front edge of a pannier. Guaranteed to wake me up.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't doubt they are only 36" wide. The Pelican 1520 is pretty much the same size as the Seahorse 720 like I have, so they should make for a similar width when used with Givi racks.
Oh, I wasn't trying to express any doubt. I'm just in the market for hard luggage racks is all. ;) I was kind of guessing Givi, knowing they're fairly narrow.

My main concern with width right now is simply space constraints of my living arrangements. I'm sure it won't be the case forever, but as of now, I have to wiggle my bike down a single-width driveway past two cars into a one-car garage with another bike and a wood shop setup in it (think town home with garage). Depending on how carefully the cars are parked, I've got 24-36 inches of space to get in and out every day. On the bright side, I'm very glad I've got a safe enclosed place to keep her every night.

Because of all that, I'll probably end up going with the Motech quick release racks either way, but I am curious what Ducman's setup is.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I didn't realize that the forums were mutually exclusive.
I joined both forums and participated in both in a similar way, but had many negative experiences on the vsri site--attacks over differing politics. I finally just dumped them. My needs are satisfied well at this site which renders them unneccessary.

On the width of luggage--I resist side boxes because the total width has bothered me. I have seen some Stroms that are enormously wide, and while I admire the carrying capacity I resist the excessive width.

I am now looking for Ortleib thin soft bags (don't know much about them but what I read on the Aerostitch site)--they should work due to the compact width and will rely on a large top box for capacity.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I make it 36 inches with Orbliets Dry Bag Saddle Bags. They do keep things dry the few times I've run them in the rain.

My usual cargo in these on weekends. (No I don't drink and ride, I might spill the beer!!) ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts