StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I was driving like a Grandmother. It's an '09 with 3500 miles. I don't know if it's the warmer weather or it's broken in now, but I was getting in the '50s before this. I'm hoping that as I get more miles on it it will do even better. It's not that big a deal, just that I partially justify the purchase through economy. I've got a Calsci shield, I'm 250 lb and try to keep the tire pressure up. I'll let you know if I ever hit 65.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Perhaps you should have bought a moped instead.

By the third rear tire, second front and second chainset, you'll learn that even this relatively practical and economical motorcycle costs more to use than an automobile of equivalent value.

Ditch the Granny drag and ride it like a motorcycle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry, it's not really 63 MPH. The speedo is crappy, so you didn't really break 60. Mine is the same. Try downhill next time.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
OK, so I was driving like a Grandmother. ... I'll let you know if I ever hit 65.
Glad you're enjoying the bike. If I ever write anything similar to the two sentences above you'll know I'm about to give up motorcycling. But that's just me. As long as you're having fun that's all that matters.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I got 3,000 miles on my new (2009) wee, and I've recorded my MPG at every fuel fill up. So far I've had a best of 55 and the lowest being 49. Overall average has been 53 MPG.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's 63 MPG. SOrry. On my 5am commute I have to go slow because of deer. Carcasses laying on the road etc. And I have found out trying to justify motorcycle through economy is futile. At least I can tell the wife the numbers work out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You think that's good...

I hit the other end of the spectrum riding my Wee trying to keep up with a couple of guys on Vee's. I typically see about 50 to 55 MPG. That day it was close to 40 MPG:yikes: with lots of WOT acceleration. I got a sense of the difference in the two models following those guys. (Thanks to Heavy :thumbup:) It's definitely nothing a Grandma would be doing... well depends on the Grandma, I suppose.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I've got an 09 Wee and I've put 16,700 miles on it (you guys really need to keep up). :biggrinjester:

Just put in new plugs and did my valves (all my exhaust were on the tight side). We'll see if anything has changed (probably not...).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually had one tank last weekend only get 43 mpg. I'm having a hard time getting to 50 mpg. It's had the TBS and spark plugs changed at around 20k miles. The valves should have been done at the same time, also, but I'll check. I couldn't find a record of the air filter. Anyone think that could be the culprit?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
?????????????????

I have an 09 and my mpg is between 40-60 pending on the rage of age 18-75 that I am that week.

:green_lol::green_lol:
My thinking is that he hooks up BOTH plug wires he might manage more than 63 MPH.:biggrinjester: But now we know it was MPG

·
Registered
157 Posts
By the third rear tire, second front and second chainset, you'll learn that even this relatively practical and economical motorcycle costs more to use than an automobile of equivalent value.
I keep going over this with the guys at work who insist on trying to convince their spouses that they "need" a new motorcycle to commute with. You know, the "saving money" argument.:fineprint:

I basically tell them that unless they commute more than 40-50 miles each way, buy a 500cc or lesser used bike that gets 60+ mpg, and ride 240 days a year regardless of the weather the numbers don't crunch. That's right before I tell them that if they want a motorcycle, man-up and buy one (after saving up for it) so we can all go riding! :yesnod::hurray:

As for the OP, I genuinely hope you are able to squeeze 63+ mpg out of your bike. I ride too fast/aggressively/poorly to achieve such a feat, but somehow get 48-49mpg average over any given 3 or four tanks averaged. Except for one tank...I was really misbehaving that day.:mrgreen:

So... do you think this 60+ mpg is repeatable over several tanks of gas?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
And I have found out trying to justify motorcycle through economy is futile. At least I can tell the wife the numbers work out.
I tried this myself, unfortunately my wife handles the finances and she's considerably smarter than me.

Over the last three years I've averaged 1,138.888888 miles a month fetching the mail. The post office is about 2.5 miles away.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I usually get 56 to 59 mpg with a mix of run and commuting. No wheelies. The lowest I have gotten was last month, 53 mpg right after changing the oil and plugs. Then 57 mpg for the next tank. :headbang: After i finished the 7,500 checkup a tank at 58 mpg. This was 290 miles on the tank filling up to about 4.96 gallons. The best I have gotten was 61 mpg.

As for value: Riding two wheels is priceless. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts