StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a GoPro routinely on their wee? I have been throwing around the idea of getting one. Looks like best buy will have a good deal on the 3 black edition.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Contour have been rescued from receivership and both the Roam 2 and the +2 are available.

Depending where you want to mount a camera, you may find them an option to consider as well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I use one and have tried it mounted on my helmet, on my chest and on a radar shelf. I really like them and the video quality is awesome.
I have also used it when I was went to Uganda to see mountain gorillas. That was awesome because I could wear it using the chest mount and not have to worry about taking pictures or video with a handheld camera. Next week we're going scuba diving in Belize and I'll take it there too for some underwater stuff. Very versatile units they are...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Is anyone using a GoPro routinely on their wee? I have been throwing around the idea of getting one. Looks like best buy will have a good deal on the 3 black edition.
If someone is going to Daytona's Bike Week, buying a package deal direct from them, is hard to beat.
I'd give it some thought, before jumping in with both feet. Most buyers end up not getting their monies worth. They use them initially for a brief period, then letting it rot or selling it at a good loss.
You have to make that choice yourself. If your going on the adventure ride of a lifetime, you'll get your monies worth, just on that trip. If money is not important, go for it.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
I have been using a DSLR on my road trips, and will continue doing so because the quality can't be beat, but there are lots of photo ops i miss because i only see them as i'm riding past and there is nowhere to pull over, or just not convenient. A gopro with remote would let you snap a shot while riding and not miss a beat.

I will be picking one up before next Spring. Just hoping for a sale on one someplace.

The 3 Black edition has the best pricing, but 3+ Black is higher quality.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are tons of mounting options out there. With that, these come as an additional expense! You must read the product reviews before making a purchase, as some of the products just don't withstand a constant beating from impact/ vibration.
I just got my Hero3 White edition, and have it set up for use with my Galaxy S3 via the GoPro app.
I will take my Nikon D300 with me as often as possible, but I am not going to mount it to my bike! This is where the Hero3 comes in. That and the fact that it is so much more versatile!!!
Mounts and accessories can be found everywhere, like here:
RAM GoPro Camera Mount
P.S. note that you will pay ~$1/ GB for memory...and you get ~8 mins of recording time for every 1GB of memory (@1080p/ 30 frames per second)

The only downfall is the wide angle lens. That is not suitable for ALL situations.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had a GoPro for a while, don't use it a terrible lot, but I found the wide angle not that great. As soon as stuff gets 100' away, you lose detail. Newer options allow video at 960p and a narrower field of view..... lots of choices out there, and agree, get the remote version and remote power supply if available.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Newer options allow video at 960p and a narrower field of view.....
That's the setting I have found most useful too. It eliminates most of the fish-eye and gives a balanced view. I use the GoPro on every small group ride I lead and occasionally when I ride alone. While editing can be a chore it's good to be able to share the ride with those that couldn't make it or those just interested in what's going on. The most interesting footage is when something unusual happens and/or people and bikes are in view. Road footage gets old quickly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Olympus Pen mini with remote and GoPro HD is my current set up.
Last 3 trips I was carry Nikon 5000 DSLR with 18-105 lens-nice pictures, but heavy camera, not easy to take pic when you are riding.
The Olympus quality is some times better than the Nikon and it is much smaller and easy to use when I am riding. Fast focus and ok stabilization, just in case I am taking 2-3 shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Got a Hero 3 silver last year about this time. used it a few months, Found it to be as noted above, something is 100 yards away is basically lost. Also ended up with almost a terabyte of files with about 10 min of actual interesting content.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have an older Hero 2 that I use. I have found that helmet mounted is the way to go. Get vibration otherwise. I have picked up a chest mount for it but haven't tried it yet on the bike. I can't imagine taking trips without it now, I get to share the good parts of the trips with my family. Wonderful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bought a used hero2 on ebay over a 3 because of reports of the horrendous battery life. My 2 will easily let me record a 1.5-2 hr harescramble on a charge. I think the 3+ has maybe addressed the battery issues of the 3 if you're willing to pony up the cash. I find the quality of video to be very good with the hero2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually got to play with a gopro recently... It's not too bad. I think I'm going to pick up the gopro 3 and see how this goes... I like the way you can mount it many different ways.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Editing App

I am about to get a 3+ Silver. GoPro has free editing app, or I could use Adobe Premier Essentials. An earlier poster or two were not fond of having TB of video with 10 minutes of good stuff. Presumably a lot of time can be taken editing. Comments Please.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Could you please explain the fish-eye effect for somebody who hasn't used one of these before? Thanks in advance...

-joe
A fish eye lens on a camera typically is a shorter focal length and has a very wide angle view. The GoPro set at 1080p is a 170 degree wide angle view, so you lose detail at distance. The 960p setting is a 120 degree view, so should be more detail at a longer distance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts