StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is that white gook that comes on new chains? I just had a new chain and sprockets installed, should I clean that sticky white stuff off right away or is it actually a lubricant for the chain?

The parts manager at the Suzuki place told me that WD40 was the best product to clean chains.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that WD40 is a good cleaner. I think I will try that. That and chain wax. That is what the Suzuki dealer pushed on me anyway.

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
The debate continues regarding WD40 as a chain cleaner. Some say it will sneak past the o-rings and dissolve the factory lubrication, other say they have used it for thousands of miles without any issues.

Personally, I used it on my last chain for 15,000 miles without incident. I feel that WD40 is safe for chain cleaning because it is only on the chain for a very short period of time before it is wiped off. If you were to soak a chain in WD40, I suspect that the o-rings would be compromised. That being said, I will be switching to kerosene to clean my new chain.

Webbikeworld commented on WD40 here (not good):
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The debate continues regarding WD40 as a chain cleaner. Some say it will sneak past the o-rings and dissolve the factory lubrication, other say they have used it for thousands of miles without any issues.

Personally, I used it on my last chain for 15,000 miles without incident. I feel that WD40 is safe for chain cleaning because it is only on the chain for a very short period of time before it is wiped off. If you were to soak a chain in WD40, I suspect that the o-rings would be compromised. That being said, I will be switching to kerosene to clean my new chain.

They say it but have no concrete evidence that WD40 destroys the O-Rings.

I have read several pro WD40 articles also. I plan on using WD40 because I will be doing a six month tour and WD40 is easier to carry than a bottle of kerosene with brush. WD40 to clean and then i will use up a can of Wax they sold me at the local Suzuki. I will try the Teflon stuff later. I used to use gear oil but it gets messy.

·
38,048 Posts
There's nothing dangerous about WD40. A guy at ADVRider even did a test on O-rings with various substances and WD40 and kero were harmless. I prefer kerosene because it is less expensive and doesn't leave oil as a residue. WD40 is mostly solvent similar to kerosene anyway.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Don't listen to GW! I've read that WD40 will instantly dissolve your chain's O'rings and wash away the lubricant they protect. Think phaser set to kill. Gone, poof.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
My personal preference is kerosene for cleaning but have been known to use wd40 once in a while if I'm out on the road and my chain gets dirty/muddy.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Personally I think the main thing is how people do the chain maintenance. Probably like they maintain everything else. Once it is WAY past time to do the maintenance and some damage has occurred they clean with either WD40, Kerosene or some other cleaner that slips past those worn o-rings and out goes the grease.

Hence once again it's not the product, it's operator error :mod2_hammer:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I bought a can of white chain lube, great stuff same stuff as comes on VStrom chain. And wow the same company makes chain cleaner spray so I bought a can of that too. Good stuff but likely in Japan only eh, name on cans is Laven.

This stuff does not fling off at all.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't listen to GW! I've read that WD40 will instantly dissolve your chain's O'rings and wash away the lubricant they protect. Think phaser set to kill. Gone, poof.
I have never read that! Where did you read it?

Too many people have used WD40 to clean their chains and their chains lasted a long time. Where are the people who claim it ruined their chains?

An extended debate on another forum

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16484

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Dealer said Kerosene would hurt the seals

My dealer has been very knowledgeable but tonight I asked about chain cleaning and lubing and he said Kerosene would deteriorate the seals. I said it's what the Suzuki book says to use.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I'd add that the spray can may be part of the issue with WD40. Using the WD40 on a rag, to clean the chain greatly reduces the risk of solvent passing the o-rings when compared to using a high pressure spray to apply it. Same as when they suggest avoiding a pressure washer to clean the bike. Apply enough pressure and you're going to get solvent, or water, by-passing seals and o-rings.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Personally, I would have phrased the title of this post a bit differently. Goop, for example, would work just as nicely...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been using WD40 for a long time on my dirtbikes and streetbikes for cleaning the chain both O rings and non Orings no issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts