StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I slightly goofed again with a wrong helmet purchase.

to put into context: I've only owned one full face helmet. It's an Xpeed helmet i picked up a few years ago while i was riding cruisers, my other helmet being a shorty. This xpeed (cant remember the model) fits me very well.

Last year, I borrowed one of my dad's Shoei helmets and rode with it for a few days. Helmet was nice, but it hurt the top of my head, near the front. I chalked it up to being an XL and because it rubbed.

so, a few weeks ago I purchased a Shoei Qwest (size large). I was hoping for the best, but, pain is there, at the same place, after about an hour of riding. I guess i could try cutting the liner, but i'd rather resale it now and try and find something that doesnt hurt my head.

I've looked over the ratings at webbike world, but not sure where to go from here to find something.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If its just a "hot spot", it's a head shape issue... different manufacturers have different shaped helmets.

What I do for scorpions on the forehead, where they give me a hot spot, is I use a que ball to press on that area to reshape it slightly. Works great

·
Registered
176 Posts
IF it's a small area then I agree with Fritz and reshape it but if the discomfort goes across a large area of your head, then get another one (helmet that is). Shoei's usually has a more universal fit than other helmet manufacturers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's very hard for me to find a helmet that fits me because I have round shape head and there are very few options out there. So far my favorite is Gmax gm68 and I wear size L. But my HJC is size XL and I had too shave off some foam on the sides to fit.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
webBikeworld.com lists the Qwest as a "neutral" internal shape. Evidently you need what they call "narrow" or "slightly narrow." Note that there is no concensus as to the terminology. Some of the helmets on the wBw list are out of production and replaced by others; for example the Arai Profile is no longer made and replaced by the Signet-Q, both long oval (Arai's term), but slightly different shapes. Anyway, go into local big retailers with a lot to choose from and try several on.
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

About testing in the store for fit:
SHARP Helmets - Get the Right Fit

·
Registered
710 Posts
Check the Arai website for info on helmet shapes and sizes. They offer from round to oval. The fit of an Arai is second to none, but be prepared to spend some bucks. FWIW, I have owned several Arais, and consider it money well spent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If its just a "hot spot", it's a head shape issue... different manufacturers have different shaped helmets.

What I do for scorpions on the forehead, where they give me a hot spot, is I use a que ball to press on that area to reshape it slightly. Works great
Doesn't the cue ball hurt your head? :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
The vendor should swap it out for a RF1100, (they are a different type shell I understand) they might charge a re-stocking fee, most don't. Most vendors are real nice to deal with. There's very few that will not work with you.
The guy at helmetworld.com really knows helmets of you want to call him.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The vendor should swap it out for a RF1100, (they are a different type shell I understand) they might charge a re-stocking fee, most don't. Most vendors are real nice to deal with. There's very few that will not work with you.
The guy at helmetworld.com really knows helmets of you want to call him.

don't blame the dealer if he does not want to help, a helmet cannot be resold or returned in most cases becuase it could have been dropped and or damaged once removed from the store, especially if there is signs it was worn, Like the peel offs are missing from the Visor for example

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you try the helmet on before you bought it? I personally will not buy a helmet without trying it on first. I spent hours at 4 dealers in my area trying on helmets to find what fit me the best when I bought my HJC FS15

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
I got my wife a flip up Noland and it had a hot spot. I smacked the area with my Swiss Army knife a few times and beat the spot into submission. It was fine after that.
It hard to find a well fitting helmet without trying it on for a while.
I do like my Scorpion 1000. Once I find something that fits I try to stick with it.

·
Administrator
16,982 Posts
You never buy a helmet "make or model" without trying it on first.......period!!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You never buy a helmet "make or model" without trying it on first.......period!!!!
+1, plus unless you need a fireproof inner liner or something unique, they ALL are only good until a impact, even a simple as dropping it on the ground. Then it should be replaced. Get what fits you-that's important- don't think more money (within reason) makes a better helmet. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
+1, plus unless you need a fireproof inner liner or something unique, they ALL are only good until a impact, even a simple as dropping it on the ground. Then it should be replaced. Get what fits you-that's important- don't think more money (within reason) makes a better helmet. Cheers--BB
Drop-n-replace isn't confirmed. Snell says that a simple drop won't hurt the helmet.

Agree totally, correct fit is critical.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Dont you think that reshaping your head with a que ball is kinda extreme? :green_lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel your pain on this one, literally. I have a Shoei full-face that feels ok for almost exactly an hour, then starts to hurt towards the top of my forehead. I realize now that I have the 'long oval' head shape and my Shoei just isnt designed for that shape. Been to the dealers a few times and the Scorpions seem to fit better, but I'm concerned what feels good in the store doesnt represent the feel after an hour of riding. Wondering if I need to fork out the cash for an Arai Profile or Signet-Q because they're apparently designed well for the long oval shape.

·
Registered
176 Posts

I bought four helmets without trying them on first and never had a problem, so much for your theory. (just messing with you) but I actually have obtained 4 helmets that way and no problems, guess i am just lucky in love and helmets too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts