StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday, I stopped by my dealer to see about some tires for my Vee, and left with a new (to me) Wee! Traded my 07 Vee w/ 48,000mi. for an 04 Wee with 4100 mi. Loved the power and long legs of my Vee but the 30mpg was not making me happy. Love the lighter weight of the Wee, gives up some top end and acceleration but I'm loving it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In concideration of

I know I luv my 2011 Wee! The other day I offered a guy a straight up trade 1977 BMW R 75/7 for his bud's 2002 Vee w/ 17 K miles, should be in good shape. He is intersted, but other factors might cloud the trade. I just wanted to try it out abit, then sell. We will see who blinks. I know I no longer need the Beemer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep the Airhead. As much as I loved my Vee, I love the old R75/5 Airheads. So easy to work on and as reliable as hammer.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You'll use all that power

if really 30mpg she had a problem
I'd imagine if it was running okay and you were getting 30 mpg on the 1000, you'd quickly become bored with the 650.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best mpg I ever got with the Vee was 32. It was very very consistent in delivering 30mpg. Never had any problems, ran great!

As for getting bored, never been bored riding any motorcycle in the 44 years I have been riding. If I want power and speed, I have other toys for that...

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm really looking for a long-term report.
The 04 wee is definitely better than the 08 I have (except for the lack of ABS). I think you'll be happy with the trade, but I might be biased; I'd love to hear what you have to say in a couple of months; keep us posted.

I'm still hanging on to my old beemer, but I'm really itching to trade it for a goldwing of similar vintage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did keep the Airhead. Thanks!!!!:thumbup:
I would not want to own, if possible, a 2002,2003 V Strom. Non adjustable windscreen and some of the clutch and Fi problems are there. Just saying, the airhead. Now, I have a 04' Wee you might be interested in.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
In a few ways: the exhaust is simpler (you can just attach a new can), there are fewer plugs, the bike is lighter, and unlike the 2007+ it is capable of reaching 200 km/h (mine maxes out at 180). It also seems to accelerate better and I guess it'd be cheaper to purchase.
Another bonus is you won't be losing those stupid rubber pads on the frame by the footpegs since the bike didn't come with them.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
In a few ways: the exhaust is simpler (you can just attach a new can), there are fewer plugs, the bike is lighter, and unlike the 2007+ it is capable of reaching 200 km/h (mine maxes out at 180). It also seems to accelerate better and I guess it'd be cheaper to purchase.
Another bonus is you won't be losing those stupid rubber pads on the frame by the footpegs since the bike didn't come with them.

Don't reckon I'll be changing the exhaust, it should last the life of the bike.
By all accounts, the extra plugs are good for 5-10 more mpg, which also means longer range.
Since my bike doesn't have abs, it weighs 2 spark plugs more.
My max actual speed is 115 mph (~185km/h). BTW, this was 125 mph indicated (201 km/h).
Since I'm running a 14T sprocket up front, mine will accelerate faster than your stock geared '04.
Maybe cheaper initially to purchase, but more costly to operate (fuel).
My rubber pads are still present, after 5+ years and 50K+ miles.

Thanks for confirming my non abs '07 is the better bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats, you are not alone in the Vee to Wee dept. I did wee -> Vee -> wee -> wee -> wee. LOL

My 04 Wee was very good to me, but I really have enjoyed the 07 & 09 the best. I think the dual spark 07+ model runs smoother and it definitely doesn't hurt getting the better mileage. I've see 300+ miles on my 09 on a tank. I didn't get along with my 08 either. Maybe it was something with that year?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts