StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the stock Bridgestone on the rear of my 2012 DL650 after about 7,000 to 8,000 miles. These are the things I would like in the new tire:

• Cornering grip on pavement as good or better than the Bridgestone.
  • Longer tread life than the Bridgestone.
  • Performance on gravel roads as good or better than the Bridgestone.
  • Better wet pavement grip than the Bridgestone.

It looks like the Continental Trail Attack or Trail Attack 2 would fulfill all of the criteria except I can't find any reviews that talk about their performance on gravel.

What is the difference between the Trail Attack and Trail Attack 2?
Any input as to whether the Continental will meet the above criteria?
Other tire suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Any "street" tire will ride on top of the gravel & dance around. Good luck in your quest.
I've given up & will be going to a more aggressive set. Which means I'll be slowing down on pavement.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Metzler Tourance (non-EXP's)
Anakee 2's or 3's

Both are excellent tires for wet pavement, tread life and cornering. Both are also decent on gravel.

(in before thread gets moved! Woohoo!)

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I currently have Anakee 3's and have found them to be an excellent street tire but squirrely in deep gravel.

The front tire seems to matter more than the rear in gravel. Before I had a TKC-80 front and a Shinko 705 rear, and that seemed to work well on a wide variety of surfaces. It was also convenient that they wore out at about the same time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Am happy with the Anakee 3, definately better than OEM on gravel, smooth highway, in wet and on grooved, rough pavement. Unsure of treadwear as only have 4000km on mine, but if they match the oem will be happy.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
while i'm far from an aggressive rider on the V, my tourances have suited me just fine on wet and dry pavement as well as many miles riding through hard-packed sand, and coral rock gravel. super long life as well.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Crash, how deep is the gravel you ride on? The depth of the gravel makes a big difference.

Bridgestone makes at least three tires for our bikes. The Trailwing is OEM. The Battlewing is better than the Trailwing. The Battleax BT-023 is a fine pavement tire.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
What is the difference between the Trail Attack and Trail Attack 2?
Any input as to whether the Continental will meet the above criteria?
Other tire suggestions?

Thanks.
The Trail Attack 2's are a dual compound with harder rubber in the center which gradually gets softer towards the edges and the TA's are single compound. I had the original TA's and got better tire life, better feel in the corners than the stock TW's, and in a tire comparison at the time they won the wet road competition. As far as gravel, about the same as your TW's. I don't think you'll find a tire that will meet all 4 of your criteria.

·
Registered
236 Posts
k60

another plug for my Heidenau k60. But my stopping distance increased, they are not road tires. They worked good (not great) for both on and off road.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A friend told me about these...... real cheap. Not exactly my definition of a street tire (he called them 60/40), but I'd like to know which would be best for sport touring and less for dual sporting.
I prefer good grip in the dry and wet and will sacrifice longevity.....

Full Bore Tires - Adventure Touring

I see that Michelin has the Anikee 3's on their site, but the Anakee 2's probably aren't being made any more. The 3's look like they might be a decent street tire. Oh the choices............

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'm going to try the Pilot Road 3's.

I know they're an excellent street tire but I really come to dislike the Anakee II's.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
...but I really come to dislike the Anakee II's.
The things I disliked about Anakee IIs was uneven "block" wear and generally too-fast tread wear (but I'm beginning to believe I'm going to do no better with any other tire). I'm sure you've considered Anakee IIIs, but to me Anakee IIIs are mostly a street tire with some bit of offroadability. I suppose PR3s / PR4s are advertised as pure street tires. Might be the best choice if one is never off the pavement, but I like Anakee IIIs on the rear, anyway, to help provide a bit of traction if I get in light mud.

What do you dislike about Anakee IIs ?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Anakee 2 were fine but I maintain a street tire with a little bit fatter grooves is a street tire with fatter grooves.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Trails. A lot better on road than the stockers, not a good gravel tire, but a lot better than stock.

K60's are worse on road than the stock tyres, but at least last well and are a decent gravel tire.

I don't know of anything that meets your exact requirements, you'll have to compromise somewhere.

Pete

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I really like my Shinko 705s. They're great at everything.
Big +1 to this. The front I put on 8 or 9 thousand miles ago is still good to go with lots of tread left. I wore out a rear in about 8 thousand miles and most of that was over a 5500 mile trip to Sturgis and back encountering everything from cold and wet to dry and 115 degrees haha fully loaded for two weeks of riding and camping.

The Full Bore tires are the same tire with slightly wider spacing between the lugs I think.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts