StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had a cruiser, I had been planning to buy a thermometer that either mounted to the handlebars or to the windshield.

Now that I have a Wee, any good inputs on thermometers that are in your normal field of vision (the handlebars require looking down with my full face helmet)?

Maybe one that mounts to the speedo/tach console somehow??

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I had a cruiser, I had been planning to buy a thermometer that either mounted to the handlebars or to the windshield.

Now that I have a Wee, any good inputs on thermometers that are in your normal field of vision (the handlebars require looking down with my full face helmet)?

Maybe one that mounts to the speedo/tach console somehow??
I use a waterproof digital thermometer that is designed to be used in an aquarium. It measures both C and F. I bought it on ebay for about $5.00. I attached it to the cowling using velcro.

Pet stores should have a variety of different waterproof thermometers.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
503 Posts
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50271

I like this thermometer but as stated in the link above it’s not waterproof but can be made waterproof with silicone caulk or it’s cheap enough to buy another. Mounted mine just above and behind my GPS using a small piece of flat plastic and some 3M double sided tape and it’s endured well for the last year.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Aerostich has some liquid crystal strips you can stick somewhere, maybe on your windshield. $7. Pretty foolproof I imagine.
One of the strips goes from 58 to 88 which is the only one I would need because outside those temps I'm not likely on my motorbike.

Received these the other day and they are pretty useless in the sun.....way too sensitive to be placed in the sun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's one item I could never figure out the need for. The only thing a thermometer would do for me is to make me feel hotter or colder than it really is. :yikes:

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's one item I could never figure out the need for. The only thing a thermometer would do for me is to make me feel hotter or colder than it really is. :yikes:
Not sure there is a “NEED” for a thermometer but I ride year round and the closer to 32 it gets keeps you aware of when water turns into ice. Also, I like a digital thermometer that reads in tenths of a degree. It was kind of fun last year about this time on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I watched the temp drop from 78 degrees in the valley to 52 degrees at the restaurant on Mt. Mitchell.

A couple of photos on Richard Russell Hwy late this winter and you are right about making you feel colder than it really is. :yesnod:

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK Bahill, I can respect that. I tend to forget that people ride when it gets that close to freezing. When it gets to be that time of year, that's when my bikes get put to bed for the Winter & the Corolla comes out of Its Summer hibernation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bought a digital thermometer with a wired temp sensor that reads out in tenths of a degree for $10 at Wally World, and now I'm working on a bracket to mount it on the brake fluid reservoir with Velcro. I'm going to run the sensor wire beside the brake and throttle cables, and put the sensor right behind the air inlets so I'll be reading ambient air temp, not a higher temp due to the sun.

There may not be a great need for the thermometer, but we don't really even need the bikes, but we have them. I used to have a cruiser and wanted a clock and thermometer, but then held off when I knew I was selling it. This bike had the clock, so all I needed to do was add the thermometer.

I could see myself using it to figure out what gear I should wear depending on the temperature. If I'm too cool when using the mesh jacket when it's 65F, I can use that as a guideline on the next ride. If I'm too cool in the morning at 45F with the textile jacket with no insulated liner, then I know when to start using the liner. And if I'm riding within a few degrees of 32F, time to watch out. If I'm too hot at 95F with the mesh jacket, I'm screwed unless I want to go without the gear.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got my digital thermometer. I bought some 1" aluminum angle iron at Lowe's, flattened it out a bit to increase the angle from 90deg to something higher, then sanded it a bit, cleaned it up, spray painted it flat black, mounted it to the top of the brake fluid reservoir, then mounted the thermometer I have to the angle iron.

I had already run the temp sensor for outside temp down inside the fairing just behind one of the air inlets. Now all I have to do is to tie up all the excess wire for the temp sensor to make it neater. I'm not that much of a handyman, so I was pretty proud how it came out.

Took a ride today, temps ranged between 73 and 83 degrees (makes a big difference if you ride by lakes, where the air is quite a bit cooler.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like these master cylinder mounts. But does the master cylinder heat up as the brakes are used? Wouldn't matter for the thermometers with the remote sensor, but for the all-in-one types I could see that being an issue.

Or am I making up a problem that doesn't actually exist? (I do that a lot)

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I also like the $10 pet store one. I did put some silicone around it for waterproofing. Have the prob sticking out the front. Seems pretty accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Oxford.....clock/thermo/ice warning

Bought the $25 Oxford unit from Twisted Throttle and can't really say it was $25 well spent. Too small to read quickly and I don't believe it was very accurate at the Rally 2 weeks ago in NC........seemed to read really high temps (99F at one point and I don't think it was near that). I have it mounted near the F brake M/C but not touching it. To do over, I would buy cheaper "disposable" units.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got this one in from a place in alaska called Glacier Chain. I believe the model I got was 0-100 degrees F. they also sell a battery powered unit that is constantly backlit, mine is wired to the Eastern Beaver relay so it only comes on when the bike is running (who has a need to know the temps when you're not out riding????) and the backlight is powered by a momentary toggle that I've yet to hook up. I think it comes in red and green backlight options. there is a remote sensor that I have sticking out the front of the cowl, like one of the other pics above.
Additionally, they have models that read in Celsius or Kelvin or some other silly temp range for those of you outside the US of A. Been on there nearly two years, with no issues.

Yup, that's 13.6 F and I did go for a ride that day
chris in boston
P.S. as for being in a difficult place to see, the digits are about 3/4" tall, if you have to stare that long to figure out the temp, you probably shouldn't be propelling a bike down the road. :green_lol:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I like these master cylinder mounts. But does the master cylinder heat up as the brakes are used? Wouldn't matter for the thermometers with the remote sensor, but for the all-in-one types I could see that being an issue.

I haven't seen it get warm. Especially with vstrom brakes :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I have the same formotion one as Casper and eye.surgeon and in the same location. It has been there for three years and works great. I took it off my previous bike when I sold it as a little piece to carry on.

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts

You'll never see the master cylinder get warm from using the brakes.
It will get warm being black with the sun beating on it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
:thumbup: i concur

1 - 20 of 32 Posts