StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my bike and waiting for one bar on the temperature indicator before I take off in the mornings (typically around 55-65 deg F). Is this a necessary/good practice or not required because the Stroms have EFI?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I wait about 3 seconds, until the idle stabilizes, just like in any car. That's plenty of time to get the oil pressure up and everything lubed. Why wait longer?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I let mine idle while I'm putting on my jacket, helmet and gloves then I ride, regardless of outdoor temp. No problems in nearly 2 years doing this...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Any time spent idling wastes fuel and needlessly increases air pollution. Just don't do high revs on a cold engine. I like to hold it under 5000rpm until one bar and don't red line until two bars. The engine warms up best with a load.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

As always, this noob is greatly appreciative of your feedback. :yesnod:

Looks like I'm going to be rolling out quicker in the mornings!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Any engine warms up better under light load. As soon as it'll run smoothly, drive it easy--car, truck, bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i fire it up full throttle and let it bang off the limiter for about 3 seconds..

KIDDING!! i just take it easy. usually by the time i'm hitting the highway i'm at 2 bars. no matter what temp it is outside.

·
Registered
69 Posts
MY usual routine is to have my helmet and jacket on, start the bike, let it idol while putting on my gloves and then keep the rpm's down till it warms up a bar or two.

Never had any problems with the V-Strom, or the SV before this bike.

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
Over 125,000 miles on my 2006 DL650.

In a few hours over 50,000 miles on my 2012 DL650.

Start the engine and ride away, moderately. Warming up does nothing good in any way shape or form to these bikes (and to almost any nonfuel injected vehicle.). You don't need to wait for oil pressure, or for a bar of heat, or for idle to stabilize. Just start it and ride, but ride moderately for the first little while.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It can take up to two minutes for oil to reach all the wear surfaces of a large car engine from a cold start if it all drains back to the sump. Check valves in the filter help a great deal but it still takes a little time to pick up and move oil through the system. Also noted is that excessive idling is a bad thing, I would add that it's especially bad when running an enriched mixture as the extra fuel, which doesn't vaporize properly in a cold engine FI or carb'd, dilutes the oil and washes the oil film off the inside of the cylinder walls. Idling a bike up from dead cold for minutes on end is a waste of fuel, time and engine metal.
It's best to give it a LITTLE time to move the oil, (I'm only talking ten or twenty seconds, long enough to put on your helmet and gloves not your whole kit) and to get moving and warm it up under light load as soon as possible. If the bike has a ye olde fashioned choke or enrichment system (not a Strom, obviously) you want to be off that as soon as possible.

Stroms are a little deceptive when it comes to these minimizing wear practices. I noticed the castings in the head (K7 Wee) hold a little oil right where it will protect the cam lobes and buckets for a few seconds on start up. Deliberate or not I don't know, but reassuring none the less. The whole engine seems to be "accidentally brilliant" in that regard.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm usually fired up and gone in 30 seconds. Riding like "normal".

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I let mine idle while I'm putting on my jacket, helmet and gloves then I ride, regardless of outdoor temp. No problems in nearly 2 years doing this...

MY usual routine is to have my helmet and jacket on, start the bike, let it idol while putting on my gloves and then keep the rpm's down till it warms up a bar or two.

Never had any problems with the V-Strom, or the SV before this bike.

As above.

Start the bike, jacket, helmet, gloves and then ride. From my driveway and street to the main road is a few km's, so I take it easy until the intersection, and after that it's open road! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I turn my engine OFF at stoplights and pray I never have to move out of the way of an inattentive car or truck as I'll be BONED. :yikes: 59 city MPG last tank :angel_31:
:fineprint:

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is interesting as I do warm up the bike to 2 bars before starting off and then staying under 5500 rpm until it is warm. I don't bother with modern cars though. Amazing how ingrained habits die hard. I think I'll just warm her up under a light load from scratch in future.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 47 Posts