StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love sport bikes, but I decided I was too old for them, and I've been driving a Vstrom for several years. Its a Vee, so its got all the power I need, and I love it... the only problem is the looks.

I went ahead and put on the lower fairing kit. took off the handlebar guards, replaced the handlebars, and dropped twin bros exhaust on it. I've done some other performance mods, like a power commander, but I just keep thinking if there is anything I can do to improve the look to what I wanted.

I've googled and searched on here and haven't found any rear end kits, but I might just do a custom job of getting rid of the rear mud flap. I'm also working on a fiberglass cap to drop over the luggage rack on the back to give it more of a sportier look.

Does anyone know of any rear end kits for the Vstrom? (Like every other bike I know of has them everywhere???) Any other modifications anyone can suggest?

·
Registered
875 Posts
It is what it is...IMO trying to make a V-Strom look like a GSXR is just going to make it look silly. The adventure bike look is the hottest look in the motorcycle market at the moment, if that makes you feel any better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is what it is...IMO trying to make a V-Strom look like a GSXR is just going to make it look silly. The adventure bike look is the hottest look in the motorcycle market at the moment, if that makes you feel any better.
Thats what I got when I told people two years ago I was putting the JVM concepts lower fairing on there, but quite frankly, I've been really REALLY happy with it, and I love the look of the front half of the bike now. I know I'm controversial!

More controversial is I have a 2006 and just rolled over 2000 miles.. haha...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
  • You can very easily cut up the front fender and spray it in the body color.
  • Also, neon lights in the fairing looks awesome at the malt shop and when cruising down main street.
  • Also, you can spray the passenger portion of the seat in the body color to make it look sportier.
  • Drop the tripple tree down on the forks as far as it will go, this looks awesome, but you'll have to pick routs what circumnavigate railroad crossings and speed humps.
  • Using the passenger pegs for your feet also helps to establish the "awesome look".
  • Get larger diameter front brake rotors to make the front wheel looks smaller.
  • Chop the rear fender.
  • Raise the rear end by putting blocks in the shock spring.
  • Spray the rims with Krylon "Khrome in a Kan" try not to get too much overspray on the tires, this makes you look like a loser.
  • Buy used track tires and leathers with worn pucks to back up your riding stories at the malt shop.
  • Fill your tailbag with phony traffic citations.
  • Sew an elastic band vertically into the back of your Ron Jon tank top so it looks like you're going faster than you really are.
  • Get a thick girlfriend with a penchant for thongs.
  • Tape up your headlights and turn signals.
  • Drill holes through all the fasteners you can find and run old guitar strings through them.
  • Remove your side stand.
  • Ride around with your helmet half on your head and the buckle of the strap flapping around and whacking your left eye socket.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats what I got when I told people two years ago I was putting the JVM concepts lower fairing on there, but quite frankly, I've been really REALLY happy with it, and I love the look of the front half of the bike now. I know I'm controversial!

More controversial is I have a 2006 and just rolled over 2000 miles.. haha...
I was going to warn you of the flame potential of this thread, but alas, I was too late. +1, Nroman

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I was going to warn you of the flame potential of this thread, but alas, I was too late. +1, Nroman
There's nothing inflammatory in my post.

These are just solid, common-sense mods for the purposes outlined by the OP.

I'd add more, but Mom says my computer time is up.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Dusting the sportbike squids in the twisties with wear right to the tires' edges - that oughta do it

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Dusting the sportbike squids in the twisties with wear right to the tires' edges - that oughta do it
That may be fine with people who know how to ride, but what about Giant Hairy Sloths like me? How can I gain some street cred when all I know how to do is rev my bike at stoplights and look bored by resting my left hand on my hip as I cruise up and down Main Street? I did borrow my dad's angle grinder to work my peg feelers a bit. I really want guys in the Drama Class to fear me and girls to want to ride on the back of my bike, but right now all I can manage is the other way 'round.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I rest my left hand on my leg often, I had a hand injury and the soft tissue is still healing and is slightly swollen and sensative... it hurts from the pressure on the meat of my palm. So after about 10 minutes I get reminded by the throbbing that I can set up straight and lay my hand on my leg and let the hand rest while just cruising. I don;t normally do this, but this past month has been painfull with the side of my stupid hand all ripped up and healing!

Does this make me a sport bike rider or a Harley rider using this technique?

Oh, and you forgot to mention buying the blue headlight bulbs to simulate 8000K+ HID lights. If you are on a budget, a light coat of pastel blue spray paint over the headlight will work well also!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I love sport bikes, but I decided I was too old for them, and I've been driving a Vstrom for several years. Its a Vee, so its got all the power I need, and I love it... the only problem is the looks.

I went ahead and put on the lower fairing kit. took off the handlebar guards, replaced the handlebars, and dropped twin bros exhaust on it. I've done some other performance mods, like a power commander, but I just keep thinking if there is anything I can do to improve the look to what I wanted.

I've googled and searched on here and haven't found any rear end kits, but I might just do a custom job of getting rid of the rear mud flap. I'm also working on a fiberglass cap to drop over the luggage rack on the back to give it more of a sportier look.

Does anyone know of any rear end kits for the Vstrom? (Like every other bike I know of has them everywhere???) Any other modifications anyone can suggest?

Just buy a Bandit for goodness sakes, sounds like you wish you had.... :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Would an SV tail kit work? there are a number available.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think you will agree that the bike above is an ameture Sport-Adventure model. One of the guys in our local Dual Sport club built this... and this is the ULTIMATE ADVENTURE SPORT TOURING CROTCH ROCKET DUAL SPORT STUNT BIKE!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I rest my left hand on my leg often, I had a hand injury and the soft .....................yada, yada, bitch moan, complain, complain, yada, yada...............................this past month has been painfull with the side of my stupid hand all ripped up and healing!
Send me a note from your doctor and I'll pass it on to the committee to assess your case.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I'm also working on a fiberglass cap to drop over the luggage rack on the back to give it more of a sportier look.
You could remove the luggage rack entirely, saving both visual and actual weight.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
One of the guys in our local Dual Sport club built this... and this is the ULTIMATE ADVENTURE SPORT TOURING CROTCH ROCKET DUAL SPORT STUNT BIKE!
That looks awesome! Needs a bigger tank to be a "real" Adventure bike though. ;-)
I'd love to know more about it -- is there a build page somewhere?

Reminds me of the Terra Mostro: http://www.terramostro.com/

/hijack

·
Administrator
17,256 Posts
I would go find an SV1000 to add to the garage as well.:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts