StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Vstrom 650. It has Anakee 2s on it, but the rear needs replaced. Probly 1/32 at best in the middle of the tread. Cant seem to find one to replace it except for Ebay for $260. I here it both ways. Some say mismatch tires is fine, others don't. Anyway, what rear would be a good match with the front Anakee 2? Or should I bit the bullet and replace both? thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
How much is left on the front? You could get a full set of Battlewings for $210 or so, and they're pretty decent tires.

Personally, I don't mind mixing tires. Choose a name brand rear and just ride it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How much is left on the front? You could get a full set of Battlewings for $210 or so, and they're pretty decent tires.
$210 for Battlewings, can you point me to a specific vendor? I was just looking at those on Competition Accessories website and it they have them for $249 including shipping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Personally, I don't mind mixing tires. Choose a name brand rear and just ride it.
4-5/32 on the front

·
Registered
50 Posts
$210 for Battlewings, can you point me to a specific vendor? I was just looking at those on Competition Accessories website and it they have them for $249 including shipping.
Jakewilson.com has them for $227 incl shipping today.

I'm sure I saw them for $210 a short while ago, but also recognize that tire prices fluctuate over time for various reasons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
4-5/32 on the front
Yeah, you have good rubber left. Considering the bike is new to you, and you don't know how old the tire is, my personal opinion would still be to install a fresh new set of whatever brand you like.

Short of that, the Anakee 3 rear recommended here seems to be as good as any. Maybe replace the rear and then ride the front down to 2mm before replacing that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've mixed Anakee 3 rear and Battlewing front w/no problems whether in the wet or dry or twisties.

I sort of prefer this mix as I get considerably more mileage out of Anakee 3 rear than I do from BW rear. I know other people who use BW front w/Anakee 3 rear, because of "weird cupping and wearing issues" on the Anakee front.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Jakewilson.com has them for $227 incl shipping today.

I'm sure I saw them for $210 a short while ago, but also recognize that tire prices fluctuate over time for various reasons.
$219 for the set of BW501/502's including shipping at American Motorcycle Tire. I'll have them at my door Friday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts