StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing a trip on some back roads in British Columbia and was thinking of using my iPad mounted to my handle bars for a GPS (on an 83 Honda XL609..not Wee).

It will be secondary and logging roads so a dedicated road GPS won't work or a stand done trail GPS won't work. Need an app that does both. Thanks,
Dan
Or how about a hand held that shows roads/ trails..garmin etc?

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Ipads are not geared to what you want to do the way iPhones are.
A $100 used iPhone will do what you want.

Use https://trips.furkot.com/ui for finding routes - it's got many forest service trails

It's an annoying interface but worth it for planning and it can import GPX files and export to several common file types. You can do way points - good support forum.
Along the edge is lists routes with description and you can click on individual routes for more info.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1491325

MotionXGPS should do what you want

MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Overview

There are others.....you might want to look at some of the mountain biking apps and forums for tips.

RAM mount and you are good. Top of Beartooth Used iPhone 4s is fine...5 a bit brighter and faster but can run hot so watch it in the sun. GPS use really pushes the phone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that but cannot use my data on the phone because I will be in another country and data rates would be nuts. I could buy a Garim 500 that would do both for how much the data roaming charges would be. Ipads don't need to be connected to a network for the gps to work.

i have used motion X before but forgot about that one. I believe it works on an iPad too? will have to experiment.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
You don't need data anywhere anytime for GPS apps like MotionX, CoPilot, Garmin and TomTom....there for sure is no network at the top of Beartooth :D
Your phone is a GPS ....period.Unless it changed ...iPads do not do GPS very well - tried it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts