StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am looking at a 2002 vstrom 1000 for sale locally. Owner says it has 60,000 plus miles and has the clutch issue I heard about and makes a little noise in the top end. Could it just be that the previous owner never had teh valves checked or are there other known issues. I havent looked into the clutch problem much, what does it take to fix it and how much does it usually cost.? Oh yeah, he is asking 1600. It has bags, heated grips and a few other things. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me so long as it's never been wrecked.

Valves are easy to do, there is a cure for the Clutch issue, and the motors in these bikes are pretty bullet proof.

I'd say go for it...so long as it's never been wrecked.

If it's been wrecked, walk away.

BTD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes me wonder if it has been wrecked, it has a couple different colors of plastic on it. Have read about cam chains being noisy like valves. Sounds expensive to fix.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Walk away in my opinion.........

·
Registered
550 Posts
+1 to the wrecked idea, watch out for that.

You could always see if the current owner would agree to let you have a mechanic look at it. Might cost a bit but it would give you peace of mind.

It seems like a great deal which is why I'd be cautious. But then again sometimes a great deal is simply a great deal. Look the bike over carefully looking for scratches, dents, dings, etc. Also have a mechanic look at it to get their opinion.

Good luck! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts