StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its been 2 summers of headaches riding this bike, wind buffeting, awful seat, efi problems, tipping over on sidestand in a gas station parking lot busting off mirror, extra $$ for centerstand, 3 windshields, loose plastic everywhere, dealer losing parts, bad gas mileage, at some point its just not worth it. I should have known there is a reason these things sell for under 10 grand. Think I'll save up and get a BMW...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good luck with the BMW. I sold a K1200RS for the Strom because of maintenance costs, repair costs, parts costs, bad gas mileage, and the overall quirkiness of the BMW line. Same headaches, over twice the price.

I've also unloaded Japanese bikes for unreliability issues too, so I know your frustration. Find the bike that calls to you and ride the snot out of it! I'll wave or ride with you regardless of what you end up with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have also left BMW due to motor/efi problems. But.. every manufacturer can produce a lemon in an otherwise perfect product line. Sounds like you got one.. Do your research b4 you buy and good luck on missing the "one" that got off the production line!!! PS. I have never got a seat that worked on a stock bike!!! I have always had to get one made!!!
Buster

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont buy a Triumph. Now THEY are quirky. Ive never had a problem with a japanese bike and thats why im back (probably for good).

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
They've all got their warts, you just have to find one you can live with. Other than the seat, my V is an awesome machine. Runs really well, good mileage and, now that I've cut over 3" off of the shield, even the wind isn't a huge issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also sold a BMW RT for its quirky engine with the surging issues, and more frequent maitenance. I will admit the airflow of the BMW was superb, no buffeting. But because it was a fully faired bike it was very hot in the summer because no airflow on your legs or middle body.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well maybe i'll give it a second chance..

I suppose I could try a taller windshield, gel seat, go to another dealer etc. since I can't afford a beemer anyway. I'm thinking about a leftover 05 Bandit ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
You might find a Bandit to feel buzzzy. The biggest issue with the vstrom 1000 is the EFI, but not with all bikes/riders. You can fix that with a power commander, or try a vstrom 650. The seat is $150-$500, depending on how you do it. Buffetting is solved with madstad bracket, unless you have an '03 or earlier. Once you get these things solved, it's probably a better bike than most. And you will have thou$ands in your pocket to blow on bike trips!

·
Registered
180 Posts
2003 here. GIVI tall windshield solved all problems for me. Too bad you don't like your Strom.

V.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Try gel suzuki gel seat and MP windshield. Go on the other V-Strom web site put your name on the Yosh box list. They ship it to you free and you can tune the FI to get it perfect. Also go to ADV riders site and read Rogue 1's cross country ride, he went to the dealer 7 times in 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
blktrpr1 said:
well its been 2 summers of headaches riding this bike, wind buffeting, awful seat, efi problems, tipping over on sidestand in a gas station parking lot busting off mirror, extra $$ for centerstand, 3 windshields, loose plastic everywhere, dealer losing parts, bad gas mileage, at some point its just not worth it. I should have known there is a reason these things sell for under 10 grand. Think I'll save up and get a BMW...
With a whopping 7 posts it's too bad you didn't take advantage of the resources here over the 2 yrs. Here's some stats you can add to your list regarding my Strom:
34,000mi accured in 31wks of ownership ZERO non-routine issues.

Maybe it's the rider? Maybe it's the mechanic? It's something b/c our results are drastically different.

Best of luck on your search.

Stromette

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I too have had issues with stock seats on all the bikes I have owned. It seems that the manufacturers cut cost with bad seats, and crap tires. I replaced my '06 DL1000 stock seat with a Corbin Canyon DualSport seat
($350 US from Adventure MotoStuff) and what a difference. I also added a Cee Bailey 23.5 windshiled and reduced the wind noise considerably. Let's face it. No bike is perfect, and what you need to do is make the mod's to improve your comfort. I am sorry to hear about your problems, I looked at BMW's GS1200 Adventure, Honda's ST 1300, and the Yamaha FJR, and decided that the V-Strom was all the touring bike the others were at half the price. I've put on 12,000 miles since January 06, and have loved every minute.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is an '02.

Here's what I did:

- Windstrom 3" taller screen. All wind issues solved.
- Suzuki Gel seat w/ Alaska Leather sheep skins. Seat problems solved.

My next addition will be crash bars w/ highway pegs. My wife and I occaisionally do long weekend rides of about 250 mile days pretty comfortably. At this point, I think I'll keep it until I'm ready for a Goldwing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
hmm

The only bikes i would consider over the DL1000, would be a Yamaha FZ1 for street duty, or a KTM adventure for a more dirt worthy machine. Hover both of thos machines have much bigger price tags!!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It sounds like you need to solve a few problems
I like a more upright riding position and at my age (46) why rush ?
Ceebailey high screen ( I'm 5 ' 9" 240 # ) I like looking throught the screen and have my visor up on a full face helmet.
Seat I am happy with but I believe they can be improved try the sheepskin it works on other bikes I have owned .
I am thinking of some Rox Riser with the anti vibration set up ,they allow you to sit more upright and are adjustable ,probable order them and airfreight them downunder.
Get a friend to help you adjust everthing and set the bike to suit your riding postion, gear lever ,clutch ,front brake, rear brake,headlight etc

Find a section of road that you know well and ride it ,change the suspension a bit then try again ,repeat till you are happy( first check tyre pressure ).

I have used a product called NULON ( made in Australia )in the oil of all my vechiles for 30 years and I added this to the oil .What an improvement to the shifting ! After it warms up I had to LOWER the Idle from about 1450 rpm back down to 1200 ( shows it reduces friction in the engine ) .

If you have fuel problem I would follow the advice and get a loan of the box and adjust it .

Go over you bike after a week of riding and see if you like it any better ,then look at changing a few things.

PS rear damper adjustment is different between Canada and USA bikes ,play with it till you get it right for you.

Hope this helps you .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: well maybe i'll give it a second chance..

blktrpr1 said:
I suppose I could try a taller windshield, gel seat, go to another dealer etc. since I can't afford a beemer anyway. I'm thinking about a leftover 05 Bandit ...
I have just moved from a Suzuki GS1200SS, which is a sportier version of the Bandit that was never released in USA. There are definitely some things I miss about the Bandit engine, but for versitility of where I can ride, the V is far superior. I would suggest that you examine the type of riding you do. If its almost all sealed roads then go with the Bandit, you'll love it. If you do even 5% or more of unsealed roads then stick with the Strom. All of the hassles you've mentioned are minor and fixable at very low cost.

The Bandit will give you better fuel consumption, a smoother throttle response, more HP and less maintenence. The Strom will give you more FUN. I expected to find that the Strom wouldn't have the handling of the Bandit, but I was wrong. I can turn the Strom into a corner just as quickly as the Bandit, lean just as far without touching anything and change lines midway through a bend even easier. I would like to have both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts