StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from Toronto On Canada. Just picked up a 2017 650 XT model with 7000km. Gotta say I am loving it so far, can't get over the amount of usable power in the entire rev range.

My previous bike was a 2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT. Nice bike, very good off road, just ok on road and on road is where I seem to spend most of time. I felt with the AT I was giving up too much on the tarmac just to have a very good bike off road which it hardly saw. Dirt roads and fire roads are pretty much what I tend to ride so I felt the AT was too much bike for that.

Anyhow looking forward to the V-strom

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Enjoy the new ride, I find the 650 road manners to be excellent for an ADV machine. Same hare as far as what I do off road so the DL650's balance of on vs off road capabilities will be excellent for you.

·
Administrator
5,734 Posts
Welcome. Although tending toward the roads type of adventure touring, with 50/50 rubber the V-Strom can easily tackle even unmaintained roads without issue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome. I went from a 2019 Africa Twin to a 2018 VStrom 1000. I agree that I definitely lost off road capability by quite a bit. But everything else is better with the Vee. Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome. I went from a 2019 Africa Twin to a 2018 VStrom 1000. I agree that I definitely lost off road capability by quite a bit. But everything else is better with the Vee. Enjoy the new bike.
What deficiencies do you see off-road in the VStrom as compared to the AT?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest I wasn't into the hardcore offloading on the AT. That's one of the reasons why I decided to sell it. The AT has greater suspension travel, 21" front tire and the ability to turn off ABS. All nice things to have when offloading. But the 21" tire, softer suspension and taller seat height are not great for on road. I found I spent most of my time on fire roads and dirt roads which the VStrom can easily handle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What deficiencies do you see off-road in the VStrom as compared to the AT?
21” front tire, more suspension travel, far more ground clearance. I assume even geometry like take and trail. Even on gravel road the strom always feels like it wants to tuck the front. There is just no comparison. The AT, I could go down a loose surface at highway speeds, head into a curve, the front would feel planted, grab a fist full of throttle and beautiful controlled slides. I am not bashing the Strom. I like the Strom all around way more. But no comparison off road

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
Yup plenty of vids on youtube showing exactly how capable the AT is off pavement with the right rider, no way any stock Strom could do any of that......quite like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts