StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a good GPS I could use on my Wee. Forgive me if there is already a thread.......but it is technology we're talking about, and I didn't find anything searching by titles.

The problem I have with my 5 year old one, is the inability to edit routes for back roads like you would on google maps.

I would ideally like one for <$200.

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
My wife and I both use Garmin Nuvis. In Canada, they're about $120 new, + a little more $ for the bike mount kit. Not made for bikes, but they work just fine. Mine is mounted under the windshield (a fine job by the original owner), so stays dry when riding (ziplock cover for when parked in the rain).

I find neat looking places on Google Satellite / Map, and using the Google / Garmin plugin, I send locations into the GPS, then ride to them.

We move them from our bikes to our cars.

I can't justify paying $600 or more for a motorcycle-built GPS.

You can see most of it in this photo:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yesterday in the sunday paper K-mart had one for $79. I don't remember what the brand was, but price wise they don't get much cheaper. You still would need a mount, and I'm sure it isn't waterproof, but for less than $100 you could be set up. Most of the cheaper units don't have as many features as the better ones, but it is just a matter of finding one that you like. My wife got me a tomtom rider 2 for christmas. I think she paid $300 from amazon. I love it. Waterproof, and it came with ram mounts. I just checked amazon, and now they are over $600. I don't know how she got mine so cheap. It is not a refurbished unit either. I guess they are cheaper in the off-season.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The nuvi 500/550 series is my next gps. Waterproof (IPX7) The 500 has topo maps as well as road maps (US only). I've seen it in the $250 range, in Canada, so it should be cheaper south of the border.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
+1 for the Garmin Nuvi 500/550.

It's rated for motorcycle use and its waterproof. It can also be used for hiking (although it's kind of big for that).

The 500 has US Roads and Topo maps, the 550 has US and Canada Roads maps preloaded.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The Nuvi 500/550 looks like it would meet your basic needs. It doesn't have a lot of fancy bells and whistles like an MP3 player or Bluetooth compatability, but it does allow for 500 waypoints and 10 routes. And it's waterproof. If it had been available here at a more reasonable price when I bought my 250 last year I would have gotten it instead. Personally, unless you need the topo maps for hiking and such (I question how long battery life would be without a power supply, though), I'd go for the 550 and get the included maps for Canada - assuming you have any intention of coming up here. Buying maps after the fact can cost a significant percentage of the price of the unit itself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The problem I have with my 5 year old one, is the inability to edit routes for back roads like you would on google maps.

I would ideally like one for <$200.

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:
This is the same problem I have with mine. I'm trying to find a database of sorts that shows which GPS will take waypoints.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a nuvi 205 on ram mount, total cost was maybe 120$ with the GPS+Mount.

Only complaint I have is its hard to put it in a position where you can see it in the sunlight, I need to fashion some kind of sun lip for the top of it.

W

·
0 Posts
I am looking for a GPS unit for my bike as well. The Nuvi 500/550 seem nice but the display is pretty small. Besides being waterproof, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 500/500 and the 255W/265W/285W at almost half the cost. I am thinking of getting the discontinued 285WT for $125 but with an aquabox so at least it is somewhat protected.

I posted these questions on advrider a little while ago because I was also wondering which Garmin GPS could do tracks and routes.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565261

These are probably very basic questions but I haven't been able to find an answer yet. Sometimes the obvious isn't too obvious for me..

1. Do all Garmin GPS units have the ability for tracks and routes and uploading/downloading between a PC and the GPS unit?
2. If not, is there a list somewhere showing the units that can?
3. Are some units better than others with these tracks and routes or all they all the same?
1. No
2. Yes - Garmin's website. Check the features, but there is no consolidated list.
3. Yes - GPSMap units generally do better than others. In very general terms, you aren't going to find what you want in a cheap unit. Entry level will cost you probably no less than $300 by the time you get a unit like the 60cx that will do routes, handle tracks, get a mount and a map set.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
AFAIK (you can always check Garmin's site), none of the 200-series Nuvi units have full-featured routing capabilities. They can store one route at a time, and you don't have full control over the order that the waypoints are taken in. The Garmin website allows you to compare various units. Generally you have to go to much higher end units to get this functionality (plus a bunch of other crap that you don't even want). One shortcoming of the 500 that I can see is that the 500 doesn't have a headphone output (or bluetooth), so you're not going to be getting audio prompts while riding. The 500 allows 500 waypoints/favorites, whereas some of the higher end 200 series models allow 1000 (but no routes).

The Zumos (except the 220) have a headphone jack, and they all have bluetooth. The bluetooth functionality is the only advantage I can see for the Zumo 220 over the Nuvi 500/550, but it costs considerably more. All the bike-specific Zumos are a lot higher priced than comparable Nuvi models.

I'm not sure what TomTom has in this arena that's worth looking at. When I was researching overall the Garmins seemed to be better overall for the money. The TomTom Rider 2nd Edition looks interesting, though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Chart Plotter and routes

You need a Garmin 2830 I believe, it does routes and tracks, you can find them refurbed for 175.00 sometimes with the xm antenna which you can then sell for $100.00 . some of my friends use it, let the gps autoroute you to a destination or the whole trip. Then go in using google earth or mapsource and pick out the off highway portion of your route. When we were riding the transam trail we used the gps in this way so when some guys could not ride the dirt section they could route around it and still be on track.

Kieth (called chart plotters ........old school but great for when the road runs out. ) Or the other option get a zumo 550 and then go for a handheld like the 40csx........that hikers use. it uses waypoints only.

·
Registered
259 Posts
correction on model number

garmin 2820 I could not find one cheap today........they do have xm capabilaty, bluetooth, and do routes and tracks.......

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Try googling "refurbished GPS" to see what comes up. I picked up a Garmin 2720 for $109 last year. Although its software is dated, it does everything you're looking for and it waterproof. With that said, I used a Garmin i5 before the 2720. It survived hurricane rains during Ike and still works fine. Amazon presently has a Magellan 1400, refurbished, on for $80. TigerGPS.com has a number of the Nuvi 6, 7, and 8 series Garmins on for less than $200. Any of the Nuvis in an aquabox would do fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Amazon presently has a Magellan 1400, refurbished, on for $80. .
This is from magellan's site:

Customizable route methods: Choose the way you want to navigate to use the most freeways, least freeways, fastest time, shortest distance and avoid toll roads. Exclude specific streets or freeways after a route is calculated to get there the way you want.
Sounds like what we want, it just might take a little bit of programming to get it right.

The problem with my garmin is that it only allows two waypoints as destinations at one time. That would be fine if I was stopping at one, but not if I want to ride through several.

ETA: This looks like a better buy for the money: http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-RoadMate-Widescreen-Navigator-Refurbished/dp/B002VJJUZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271265849&sr=1-2

Multi-destination routing with route optimization lets you plan your trip with multiple stops in the order you want or optimize a trip for the most efficient route, saving you time and money.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I implore you...save your soul, don't by the Magellan.

There is/was a sale on Garmin 60Cx on Amazon. $199. It should do what ya want, is waterproof, etc. I just picked one up myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I implore you...save your soul, don't by the Magellan.
Can you give more info as to why?

There is/was a sale on Garmin 60Cx on Amazon. $199. It should do what ya want, is waterproof, etc. I just picked one up myself.
Even if it were still $200, for that much money you still don't get street maps and only a 2.6 inch screen? It looks great for backpacking, but doesn't make sense for most motorcycle riders.

·
Registered
392 Posts
IIRC the problem with Magellan is maps. While garmin doesn't have the prettiest or best interface, they seem to have the best and latest maps. There is also a bigger after-market for maps on the garmin, ibycus topographic is one example. I'm sure there are free US topo maps also. Off brand gps like nextar are also a waste of money, some of them are impossible to update, and come with maps that are 2 or 3 years out of date. Don't let the "navteq on board" fool you, yes they are navteq maps, but you can only get updates from the manufacturer, not directly from navteq.

·
Registered
39 Posts
gps

I have been using the Garmin Etrex Vista Csx for about 4 years. I use maps for the big picture and utilize the Garmin for finding gas stations, restaurants, hotels etc. I also keep it on for a correct speedo reading and trip meter. I do not like to ride listening for directions, or, downloading waypoints as to me it becomes more of a distraction. It's waterproof, gives directions, recalculates, tells me where I am, and can be used off the bike too. There are relatively cheap now too. The post before me talks about the Garmin 60Csx. Even though the screen is small on both, it does exactly what I want it to do. The Csx is a bit nicer as it has large buttons on the face for zooming in and out, where as on mine the buttons are small and on the side and a bit difficult to press on the fly. Cordless is nice and RAM makes a nice mount for both of them. Look at GETFEETWET.COM . They always seem to have good sales on GPS units.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts