StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and to being a V-Strom owner. I am in market for some new riding gear and was hoping to get opinions and experiences with jackets; also, what to look for in a jacket. Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
i recently purchased a combo Rev'it Sand jacket and pants.

liking it. Warm, 2 liners (warm + rain). Excellent venting, good pockets. Fit is good as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was about to post the same thing, toronto_nic. Bought the same setup and loving it. Easily be a 3 season gear for me and love that I can have full mesh in the summer. We have some hot humid summers in NC. I think I've found about the perfect setup for me at least with the rev'it gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here you go, after you finish researching this lot you may be put off rding at all...<grin>

EN 13634:2002 Protective footwear for professional motorcycle riders. Requirements and test methods.

EN 13594:2002 Protective gloves for professional motorcycle riders. Requirements and test methods.

EN 1621-1:1998 Motorcyclists' protective clothing against mechanical impact. Requirements and test methods for impact protectors.

EN 1621-2:2003 Motorcyclists' protective clothing against mechanical impact. Motorcyclists back protectors. Requirements and test methods.

EN 1938:1999 Personal eye protection. Goggles for motorcycle and moped users.
EN 13595-1:2002 Protective clothing for professional motorcycle riders. Jackets, trousers and one piece or divided suits. General requirements.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Mesh/textile jacket & gear with removable liners is your most flexible solution and bang for the buck. For 2 years now I've gotten by riding in all 4 seasons in Northern Virginia with this jacket:

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-jacket/

Although I don't ride in snow or ice and very seldom take it into the 20's, I find that with the liner (and overpants with liners, good winter gloves, neck gaiter and heated grips) I'm good for down into the very low 30's, and this gets me through all winter with the exception of maybe a coupe of weeks of really bad non-riding weather in late Jan or early Feb. This winter didn't see any non-riding weeks though.

In the summer with the liners out of both the jacket and pants, I've been good into the 90's and 100's even with humidity, thanks to the way the mesh breathes and flows.

Good quality Cordura for skid protection, armor, and sufficient reflective stuff on it takes care of the other concerns about crasahability and visibility.

Can't say enough good things about it. I had their AST (All Seasons Touring) jacket but it was a little overkill for my neck of the woods, if you live farther north it would be a good 3-season jacket though, as long as you had something lighter for summer.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Take a look at the Tourmaster Transition jackets. If you are on a budget, or don't know what you really want, they are very good bang for the buck, good for all but hot weather (over 90). Or the Tourmaster Flex, which is good as an all arounder, with mesh and insulation.

If money is no object, there have been some very good suggestions here.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are a bunch of good ones out there depending on budget, but 3 reasonably priced ones (that I like and own) are:

Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 Around $239 at Motorcyclegear.com
Tourmaster Jet Series 3. Around $135 I wear Jet Series 2 and like
Tourmaster Transition Very nice 3/4 length like Ballistic. Jett is waist lenght.

I like all 3 but wear the Jett the most.

Hope these help. My personal opinion is that Tourmaster and Joe Rocket pretty consistently get you the most gear for your money. The long distance guys I ride with usually go with either Aerostitch Roadcrafter (1-piece) which I have and like. Or they go with the Aerostitch Darien 2-piece.

The one pieces are nice in that you can wear a suit underneath and go into work. That is very nice for some of us.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Firstgear Kilimanjaro does it for me in all but the hottest of weather. Then I break out the Tourmaster mesh

·
Registered
523 Posts
Motoport kevlar products. Spend the money once and it will out last you. I've got the Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and matching pants. Best IMO....

motoport.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
riding gear

Ive had a first gear for about 12 years and its still in good shape great bang for the buck. I purchased a Frank Thomas jacket never heard of it before but its really nice.It was on sale at cycle gear.Its a little weird because it zips from the left side the salesman said it europeon but othr than that it was a great deal for $125.back and elbow protection,Liner ,and zippers for air flow are a must.walwart sells a decient rainsuit that folds up nicely for long trips.Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jacket

I went with the Joe Rocket Ballistic series been thru Death Valley ( 105 degrees ) and snowmobiled in Canada ( 35 below zero) and it never leaked in the rain. Just my .02$

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Firstgear Kilimanjaro & Katmandu jackets are both great. I've worn the Kili in 90+ degree weather with a cooling vest and been fine. For more $$, the Aerostich Darien & Darien Light jackets get a lot of love on these forums, too. I was less happy with the Tourmaster Transition 2 I had for a while; the shoulder vents, while effective, made me feel like a giant kite when they were open.

Trent

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here's my thoughts YMMV:

Take the time to buy it right and buy it once. I have purchased lots of gear before I knew what I wanted or because it was a "good Buy" and found it didn't work well or fit well. I mean lots of gear. It's a waste of money. I could go on for hours about this. Learn from my mistakes.

To do this you really need to figure out what type of riding you'll be doing. If you're going off road, your gear may be different that if you're only road riding. How cold are you willing to ride in?

In many cases you get what you pay for but.... there is great gear out there at reasonable you just have to do your research. A lot of clearance gear is clearanced because it has not proven to be very good gear so LTBB.

Make sure you try it on before you buy. This is the best advise I can offer, but one that is really difficult to follow. If you buy before you try, make absolutely sure you can return the item if you don't like it.

For a jacket, make sure it vents well. I have much more trouble being hot than cold and I'm typically a cold person. You can only remove so much gear, but you can always add layers. A full length jacket is more versatile but often hotter. A short mesh jacket is great for hot summer but provides less protection.

That said, don't worry about waterproof gear. First off very little gear is actually waterproof in a deluge. It's easier to throw a Frog Togs over well vented gear than to have waterproof gear that isn't. Most waterproof gear also doesn't breath that well.

Gear with a zip in rain liner is a bad idea. I know a lot of guys will say they like their gear, but consider this: If the interior liner is waterproof, all the outer gear is soaked. So when the rain stops you are wearing a soaking wet and heavy coat. Plus you're not as likely to zip in the liner as you are to throw on a rain coat.

Finally you can never be too safe or too visible!

I won't go in to recommending any specific gear because I have yet to find any gear that I truly love.

Take your time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mesh/textile jacket & gear with removable liners is your most flexible solution and bang for the buck. For 2 years now I've gotten by riding in all 4 seasons in Northern Virginia with this jacket:

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-jacket/
+1 on Stoopy's report. I live on the opposite side of the country (Washington state) and also have Olympia gear. I can't speak highly enough about it. I wore the jacket he references (Airglide 3) all last season riding a naked dual sport (pre-Wee days). I can attest to it being dry and warm into the mid-low 30's and breezy and cool up around 100 degrees. The removable wind and thermal liners are what make the jacket so versatile. I was also caught in a couple of real downpours and was about 95% dry. I wear the Airglide pants as well and the only places I got wet was where water managed to sneak in between my jacket and pants. After wearing the Airglide for a season, I decided I wanted a 3/4 length jacket, so I just sold the Airglide 3 and bought an Olympia Moab jacket http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/moab-dual-sport-jacket/. It's the same combination of mesh and solid panels with the 2 removable liners but in a slightly longer, dual sport style. I love it.

If you're looking for versatility and bang for the buck, I encourage you to find a retailer selling Olympia gear and see for yourself.

·
Registered
628 Posts
... For more $$, the Aerostich Darien & Darien Light jackets get a lot of love on these forums, too. Trent
I bought an Aerostitch Roadcrafter two-piece suit 14+ years ago. I added a Darien jacket almost five years ago -- was riding a Sport Touring bike at the time, the Roadcrafter jacket was a bit short and left a gap at my waistline so my lower back got cold. Stitch stuff is more expensive, but it's about the best protection around.

Since it's Gore-tex lined, I don't have to use liners for riding in the rain. Warm/hot weather, I open vents and let the air flow through. Cool/cold weather, I close the vents and add a heated jacket -- either a Gerbing or Aerostitch.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
tour master transition series 3

i just bought a tour master transition series three for my new jacket...haven't received it yet, but have seen many good reviews, and i really like the way it fit and the features it has...

·
Registered
116 Posts
gear

some good advise already, I too have spent to many $'s on gear I was not happy with for one reason or another. I have used Olympia, Tour Master, Shift, Revit and some leather I should have never bought..I believe I have found what works for me http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-x-moto-all-season-transition-jacket/ CE all the way around, longer then a short jacket, lots of venting, Cordura vs nylon, fits my frame well. ATGATT for me. Found a vendor on e-bay that sells these at substantially less then retail. PM me if you cannot find them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts