StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I can't seem to get an answer that I find acceptable. Some say you need an adaptor for the gold valve emulators. My local Racetech certified shop says you do. he also wants all new seals and wipes if he does my bike...Oh and 4 hours shop time.

Racetech's web page says that the '09 needs adaptors.

all how to's I have seen shows nothing about adaptors and after contacting Blair at SVRP he says I can order them but don't need them.

does anyone have an answer. yes, no, what's the difference? is it safety, productliability, do they make for an easier installation?

I want to get these ordered but want to make sure I have everything in one pocket before I grab a wrench.

I'm not racing, I'm just looking to tame the dive when I have to brake. My preload is set at 41mm right now but I hit the brakes in an emergency and I come close to bottoming out the suspension.

I hit a pretty good bump on a one lane bridge last weekend on 42/skyline from timothy lake while two up that slid my travel indicator (ziptie) within about 20 mm of the lower triple.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The Ricor valves will stop the dive, not the Racetechs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TMCGEE; thank you for your input, as we all know it is the brotherhood of Stromtroopers that keep us coming back to this page. That being said and without venom I ask, How does your post help me? How does it help others that are looking for clarifications on the Racetech gold emulator adapters when they search for the subject?

I took the time to reread my post as I thought maybe there was something in there that implied that I hadn't already made a educated decision about what product and brand was in my opinion best for me and I was going to purchase after exhaustive research on this site and a few others.

Please if you have experience with Racetech Gold valve emulator adapters for the 2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650 weigh in and tell me your experience. If not please don't muddy the thread with unneeded, unsolicited opinions.

I apologize for being a 8===D but I am so tired of wading through dozens of replies in a thread that have nothing to do with the title. ever since reading the PCIII thread for my DL1000. hundreds of posts when about 6 are relevant.

This by the way is why we have unusable oil, tire and buffeting megathreads. Aint nobody got time for dat.

Peace Brother Trooper.

T

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I fiddled with the Racetech valves for a year and a half before buying Ricors. The Ricors attenuate brake dive significantly, the Racetechs do not. You said that's what you wanted to do. Beefing up the springs will also stop the dive. Out of the box, the Ricors felt better than the Racetech after my 18 months of fiddling with 4 different spring rates, 3 different emulator hole sizes, three different emulator springs, and three different fork oil viscosities.

Never heard of adapters before, the valves sit on top of the damper rods and I believe the damper rods are the same for all years of the DL650.

There are long threads here on each type of fork valve.

·
Registered
182 Posts
To be fair, the last third of your original post talked about your problem with brake dive and springs that are most likely too soft for your weight, problems which the Gold Valves won't do anything about.

My nice response is tcmgee was only trying to be helpful and addressing the problems you mentioned, not wanting you to be disappointed when your upgrade doesn't do what you're hoping.

My not so nice response is instead of complaining about other threads that go all over the place, maybe you should have only posted about the adapters, and not "muddy up" your post by mentioning other problems besides the adapters, then have the nerve to get rude about it. Aint nobody got time for dat, and aint nobody want to help with dat.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have waited a while hoping that someone might have actually done this upgrade and have information.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
In relation to adaptor, wouldnt the best thing be to call reace-tech people direct and ask them about this adaptor- not just whether u need it but what it suppose to do and why is needed on post K9 and not before, because part numbers for forks are the same on k9 and pre k9. Better still get them to send u some diagram so people who has disassemble the K9 to K11 can tell u their 2 cents.

In relation to intiminator vs emulator - look, they all do the same thing - just goes different ways - i dont think there is a clear winner in terms of results - one does better on certain things while the other on other things. I am still mesmerized by how well PeteW's old emulator (setup by local suspension mechanic) dealt with minor surface imperfection. Intiminator cant match that even with the mods- but what intiminator is very good at is dealing with is brake dive and large amplitude bumps (up to the travel limit).

BTW brake dive is not necessarily a bad thing - it helps your bike turn better into corner, if u trail brake.

So pick your poison, see how it goes and if not happy there is 2 long threads on this forum which tells you just all things you can do to either of those two items, to get you started. If everything is starting to sound contradictory then i am sorry but the one thing you wont get is a definitive answer which cures all - everyone's taste is different. You will find that if you go with emulator, you will certainly need to make sure it is correct for your weight and riding style - yes zip tie to measure it - you should be able to use all but the last 15-25mm of travel after a hard riding session over some bumpy roads. Intiminator can work with softer spring than which required for emulator but i disagree with Ricor's recommendation of just using stock spring unless you are less than say 80kg, otherwise you will benefit with a spring suited to your weight - sonic spring calculator gives a more realistic rate, but i would still consider dropping a step if compliance is more important than outright cornering performance on smooth roads if you choose intiminator

Local suspension guy tells me race-tech have a new "setting" for the emulator, essentially more bleed holes and softer valve springs. He is trying to get me to buy one so i could do what i did to intiminator and get a comparison !!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Todd; awesome thread! Answers 99% of my questions! Thank you!

Race tech replied to my query;

"Hi Troy,

Can you install the emulator without the adapter yes you can but we recommend an adapter to raise the locknut out of the well on the damper rod to allow more flow.

We recommend adapter FPEV AD4301 P $19.99

Thank You For Contacting Race Tech!"

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, I owed you one for the wisecrack.

So has there been running changes through out the model years and that's what requires the adapter or do the DL650 forks work better with this adapter?
To me the hole in the top of the damper rod were the emulator sits seems to small to allow good flow to the emulator or any other type valve being used. I have only seen the inside of my 2013 forks so I don't know if all the damper rods are the same.?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, looking at the fitment diagrams from the thread Todd provided and the great how to thread on VRSI it is my opinion that the GVE will ride acceptably on top of the damping rod. Due to the GVE diameter being smaller than that of the I.D. Of the fork tube there is a possibility that the fit is not firm and controlled. The adapter from what I now see raises the GVE above the well of the damper and gives it a solid centered position. I can see this as " the right way" to do it.

A note about posters claiming that this will increase preload; you are going to compensate for the increased hight of the adaptor when you cut down the spring spacer. Therefore there will be no difference in the total stack.

What does this all mean for me? Frankly I don't know that my ride style and needs will be met by either the GVE or the intimidator. Guys who understand this far better than me are not reporting "come to Christ" improvements.

I think at this point I will flush the fork oil, and fill and then test the sag, and then see if I can get the front to bottom out under emergency braking practice. If it bottoms out I think I will order the .90 springs and see how much improvement that gives me.

I think any improvement the cartridge emulators would give would be lost on me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to raise a question on such an old subject, but I direct this at Tmcgee (spello) and it is all about oil viscosity.
You wrote about trial and error over some time, and then a change to a different emulator / valve arrangement.

I've got a gold valve equipped bike with slightly higher wound springs than I need for my weight but I'm happy to have them as South Australian roads are goat tracks once off the highway.

My problem is pogo on highway running and hence the viscosity. It's just a bit of rebound from the over weighted spring rate for my weight. I'm loath to put the original springs back in (thanks Pa) as it would lead to dive.

So I'm happy with the emulators, they work fine, but what viscosity did you play with (I'm thinking 15 Wt to start with and blend down) and what was your opinion on dampening the top if the stroke?

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
I'm loath to put the original springs back in (thanks Pa) as it would lead to dive.
Actually, the springs came from Stretch49 of this forum. :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Pogo ing is sometimes just over tightened head bearing

Waving and searching increase rear spring load/height

try these first

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
(Repair shop) also wants all new seals and wipes
The old oil seal and dust seal will likely work, but...if a re-used oil seal leaks most customers will blame the shop and expect them to remove the fork, replace the seal, and reinstall at no extra charge. The dust seal is not a big deal--if it isn't cracked, re-use it. There are two brass & teflon bushings on each fork. Those are probably good, but if they show wear have the shop take the time to order and replace those. Our stroms use a size for one bushing that isn't common...when I needed a set only one shop in western Washington had even three out of the four in stock (Aurora Suzuki), and I couldn't find an aftermarket source. Four hours to remove the wheel, remove the fork leg, disassemble & clean it, weld & drill the oil hole in the damper rod (is this part of the latest routine?), reassemble everything and test ride. It would take less time if they don't need to modify the damper rod. Ask them to charge you the actual time. Or, do it yourself. The only unusual tool needed is a long 6 mm hex bit (Allen bit for a ratchet wrench) to reach the damper rod bolt. An impact wrench is a help to spin this bolt out & in, but not essential. Remove this bolt before you remove the spring so the spring force holds the damper rod stationary while you twist the bolt out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SO, I can't seem to get an answer that I find acceptable. Some say you need an adaptor for the gold valve emulators. My local Racetech certified shop says you do. he also wants all new seals and wipes if he does my bike...Oh and 4 hours shop time.

Racetech's web page says that the '09 needs adaptors.

all how to's I have seen shows nothing about adaptors and after contacting Blair at SVRP he says I can order them but don't need them.

does anyone have an answer. yes, no, what's the difference? is it safety, productliability, do they make for an easier installation?

I want to get these ordered but want to make sure I have everything in one pocket before I grab a wrench.

I'm not racing, I'm just looking to tame the dive when I have to brake. My preload is set at 41mm right now but I hit the brakes in an emergency and I come close to bottoming out the suspension.

I hit a pretty good bump on a one lane bridge last weekend on 42/skyline from timothy lake while two up that slid my travel indicator (ziptie) within about 20 mm of the lower triple.
The new gold valves emulators fit perfect on damping rod, you dont need the adaptors, the forks work just fine without adaptors. I think the adapter is for the valve not to leave the place when you pumping the forks to get the air out. But a good professional like me knows how to do this without the valve leaving the place >:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts